Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra brim cut and binding.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IC, nice going. I never would have cut the brim let alone attempted to sew a ribbon on it. You did a darn good job, and I have no doubt you'll get better at it as you gain experience.

Now, about those two Fed Dlx IV's I have? :D

Congrats, IC.

dschonn

Familiar Face
Great. Now I really want to do this myself. It would be financially irresponsible of me to do, but I really like the look of the finished hat.

It may be a bit rough close up, but it looks great from the distance from which most people will be looking at it. Anybody who knows you bound the brim yourself will be very impressed.

kiltie

Practically Family
indycop said:
Thanks all! Now I have to do Dee's and then a straw of mine and my Boss of the Plains.

It looks really sharp. I'm especially interested in seeing how the straw pans out.
Good job, and good luck.:eusa_clap

Dundee

A-List Customer
indycop said:
Thanks all! Now I have to do Dee's and then a straw of mine and my Boss of the Plains.
This is my first post in the lounge. You did a very professional job on your fedora. I hope to post some pictures of some of my hats in the future.:eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
:eek: Ruh-oh my mother has an old sewing machine I can have! I will get in a few days and see if it still works.;)

Does the factory ribbon/bow look alright? It at least needs to be wet and rub some of the wrinkles out. I was considering swapping it for some type of box bow.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well done indeed! I think it looks very good and as was noted earlier, you have to be up close to note any imperfections; plus, you know where and what they are. :eusa_clap

CRH

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
In my experience it's just the opposite, which might seem kinda counterintuitive. But the narrower edge bindings have less difference in circumference between their outer and inner edges, hence less pucker to make go away (or at least try to make go away). ...

Makes sense to me.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
indycop said:
:eek: Ruh-oh my mother has an old sewing machine I can have! I will get in a few days and see if it still works.;)

Does the factory ribbon/bow look alright? It at least needs to be wet and rub some of the wrinkles out. I was considering swapping it for some type of box bow.
Beautiful job! The factory ribbon looks great with that wide binding. At first I imagined the binding would be too dark, but the finished product is magnificent. My tawny fawn fed IV std is on its way, and after seeing that binding I may find it a little plain now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner