Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-10 gloves

MissMittens

One Too Many
I have a pair of USAAF A10's and they're great for just about anything, of course, depending on the flexibility of the leather. If you're looking at an original pair of Eastman's, make sure that they're still supple, or have them professionally treated/reconditioned BEFORE wearing. The first place they'll come apart are the seams, they generally don't suffer as much as other period leather items, because they tend to "soak up" the oils from your skin.

Well made gloves are a great item to have. I'd like to get something for driving but haven't found what I am looking for yet.

Currently I have a pair of surplus Nomex pilot gloves with the leather palm for driving if its cold in the morning or evening. While not stylish they are flexible and you can feel the road through them. Just warm enough for a chilly winter night in Southern California.

subject101

One of the Regulars
I own a pair of Eastman A-10s. It's a very high quality set of gloves. I agree they are big and bulky. My set is stiff too. However, I guess you can perfectly drive with them.

Radu

Familiar Face
Thanks for the reply. To be more exact, I need a pair of gloves for cold weather -5 C / -15 C and also to be OK and when I go to work in the winter morning when everything is frozen in the car especially steering wheel . And however much still looking, Eastman A-10 seem the perfect choice for me.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Radu, Eddie Bauer had some leather gloves with a thin insulating lining that looked very much like the A10 but were much thinner. I remember seeing them online. Might want to check their website eddiebauer.com and see if they still have them and if they ship outside the US?

Edward

Bartender
Lovely looking gloves. I have a pair of much cheaper A10 replicas (not sure of brand, probably US Authentic or similar). Most likely not as good as the Eastman option, though only a fraction of the price. I suspect the fit is similar; if that is the case, then they would be fine, I should think, for driving. Mine aren't especially warm, though the ELC gloves may be superior in that respect. If I wanted them specifically for driving, I would probably opt for something else, though - a pair of decent leather driving gloves can be had for much less.

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of Eastman's repros, and though they're not as warm as some of my lined Geier's they are quite usable. I don't find them particularly bulky, either. I wear them regularly when driving in colder weather here in Ohio.

subject101

One of the Regulars
I need a pair of gloves for cold weather -5 C / -15 C and also to be OK and when I go to work in the winter morning when everything is frozen in the car especially steering wheel . And however much still looking, Eastman A-10 seem the perfect choice for me.

Well, they are ok for -5C but no idea for -15C :) I think leather is not the best choice for extreme weather.

I guess you have to decide if it is cold enough to risk your hands or what's the actual situation.

Another leather option is a set of d3a plus wool liners.

ace12

New in Town
Hi, would anyone here be able to tell me if the A-10 gloves by the "Garcia Aviation" any good? Thanks so much!

Last edited:

credon

New in Town
I order some A-10 gloves from US Wings in December. First they sent the wrong order, so I had to call (called 3 times before someone would actually answer) and put a number on the outside of the package and send it back at my own expense. After waiting weeks they finally sent the correct pair of A-10's. Their return policy states they would refund shipping on mistakes they made. After calling and sending multiple emails, no reply to my request to refund the shipping. I did use Paypal and after waiting weeks and filing a complaint via Paypal I did get my $9 in shipping back. As for the gloves, they are ok. I should have just paid a little more and ordered them from Eastman. I have a B-3 from Eastman which is amazing and I thought the B-3 gloves would go great with it, but these US Wings examples are a far cry from the quality of Eastman.

bentusian

One of the Regulars
I am currently using a pair of A-10 from MASH Japan based in Osaka. Made of goatskin, they're of reasonable quality, except for the AAF decals not being 'transparent' enough on the leather shell.

I don't know whether it's the case with the original A-10s and other brands, but when you choose size by the finger length MASH's pair feel quite tight around your knuckles. When new it was hard for me to make a fist in them. Only after a few weeks of breaking-in they now fit more comfortably. In retrospect, however, I now think I should have spent a little more and upgraded to either Real McCoy's or The Few Mfg.

RolandGunner

New in Town
I have a pair of Eastman's repros, and though they're not as warm as some of my lined Geier's they are quite usable. I don't find them particularly bulky, either. I wear them regularly when driving in colder weather here in Ohio.

Can you tell me which type of Geier gloves you have and whether they have fourchettes between the fingers?

I've been looking for a pair of gloves to replace a great pair of lined leather gloves that I received as a gift about 10 years ago. I think what makes them so comfortable is that they don't have fourchettes (the extra piece of material between the fingers). Instead they have a single inside seam that goes all the way around each finger. I was looking at the Geier site the other day and it appears that they have this construction.

I never realized how uncommon this was until I started looking for replacements. What makes it harder is that most online sites don't show or describe gloves well enough to determine for certain how the fingers are constructed.

RolandGunner

New in Town
Geier's site is being updated right now, but try this link to David Morgan:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1025

Thanks, there are also some pretty good pictures at Leather Gloves Online. These appear to be what I'm looking for but the pictures still don't show the fingers clearly enough to know for certain.

http://www.leatherglovesonline.com/np/MensGloves-ByBrand-Geier-g290.htm

I think these are classic enough in appearance to look good with a flight jacket.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
The A-10 gloves made by Garcia are a passable repro, but no where in the league of ELC. I got mine a few months ago, and upon wearing them a few times, the right glove is peeling off the dark brown finish while the left glove is fine. I believe they are made in China. Not sure what the leather material is, but they do have a strong smell (chemical or tanning). At $35 its not the end of the world, but I am seriously thinking of just spending the money for the ELC ones.

As far as gloves for driving that go along with an A-2 or my D-1, I am very pleased with the ones I got from What Price Glory. They are the light tan Cavalrymen's or Paratrooper's gloves. They fit well and are breaking in nicely, and they look the part. Originals were horse, but I think these are steerhide. At around $40, they're a much better deal than the Garcia's.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Just looked at the WPG website. They are under paratrooper items and listed as M1938 Horsehide Riding Gloves at $38. They have a wrist strap and buckle, so you can cinch them up nicely too.

M

member 16283

I have Eastman A-10s. I don't find them warm for driving in winter here in Ontario. They are great for walking around. Your core body temp needs to be high for them to be warm. Anything made by Hot Paws (especially mittens) will be insanely warm. I use them for ice fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass