Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"and that's when I tried to hit him..."

Edward

Bartender
My favourites tactics are just to play ignorant, or make a show of being complimented. That always works. Or play another card... a street performer once told me I looked like a Nazi, so I feigned great offence and told him my mother was Jewish. Mostly, though, I just ignore it. People are either trying to be nice and that's just their only point of reference, or they're trying to be a smartass, in which case they're not worth rising to. During my undergraduate years, I once read some words of wisdom in a toilet wall: "Love your enemy; it'll **** him off no end." Works for me. ;)

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Worf, you have style and like my dad used to say, "If you've got it - flaunt
it!"

As far as Indiana Jones goes - your office mate is WAY behind the times. Better show him this guy...

Depp-3_zpsf13d61b2.jpg

Depp-2_zps103c24b1.jpg

Depp-1_zps7102fbb8.jpg

John

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Next time you get an Indy comment just say "Dang! I was emulating Humphrey Bogart!" Substitute with Justin Timberlake if the person seems too young to know Bogart. :D

wild_balls

Practically Family
Hey Worf, you're not alone, I experienced the same thing! I just told him I like this style (with a wide grin on my face)! And then I walked away!
Life's too short wasting energy on those kind of people! :D

Cheers Joakim

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
The second picture of Depp above kinda puts the don't wear black boots with brown leather jacket argument to bed..

You the man Worf!

I've gotten to the point where when I put on a fedora and a leather jacket I expect there to be a comment or two about Indiana Jones...or mobsters (I've even had a comment here in that regard!! Sheesh. Somebody is at the wrong forum!)
I figure I like to wear hats and leather jackets. Not going to let the ignorant comments of a few ruin my joy.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
My coworkers called me Peter Pan today because of my Clark's Desert Boots! Eff em- no style trash. Been dealing with people like this my whole life. Just gotta roll with the punches, man

bretron

Call Me a Cab
That's a new one! I wear Clark's desert boots just about every day. They're nothing like the "Peter Pan get away boots" some people wore back in high school.

Exactly, be it Peter Pan, Indy, the Brawny Man (you workwear guys know what I'm talking about) or the Great Gatsby; fools be fools. Don't let them salt your game. AND... Keep on truckin, gents; keep on truckin

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Oh, and forgot about Elvis/James Dean references. I got that about three times a day when I was younger (and with a full head of heavily Daxed pompadour goodness)

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The guy compared you to one of the most loved and heroic action figures of modern cinema and you get offended?

Really, it just shows his lack of sartorial attention to detail. I would have just acted like it was a compliment thus diffusing his attempt, "wow, harrison ford is great, thanks for the compliment, wasn't really what i was going for that look but I'll take it."

Lets them know they have failed completely....

fukigen

Familiar Face
having seen the pics of you with the Indy jacket, and even you didn't wore it at the time, I wouldn't dare to say anything like this to you!
I think would have gone the reply version of "who's that Indy? someone of your relative?"...
or something like "don't be jealous, it is not your fault if you don't have any idea about how to dress correctly!"

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Well with a first name that creates more "Mr. Ed" and "Charlotte's Web" jokes than any of you can even imagine and a last name that get's "What you talkin bout W....." I have the simple come back.

"Bite Me"...

It pretty much covers any insult and usually takes em aback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot