Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Jackal

One of the Regulars
WGF = wild goat fur
Just kidding. I think Scott is right, probably just the initials of the person who bought the hats. You could post some photos for better judgement.
Here is a shot of one of them. It didn't occur to me that it might be a person's initials. The gold stamping made me think it was a factory designation of some sort.
70c085db0f3588a5d52ca9d7e70c639c.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
What shpuld I wear today? The last pic is my daily work beater for the last couple of years. I already began to strip it to cannibalize any useful parts.
The other two are my most tired fur felts. The first is new (to me) last week, a Dobbs cariboux that has been munched on in several places. The worst are shown, the front of the brim and right above the ribbon bow.
The second is an olive Stetson Sovereign that I've owned a couple of years. It was my go to casual lid when I wasn't at work in the cold months. It is very soft where the front of the crown meets the brim, perhaps from it being set brim down most of it's life. It seems to have had a broad center crease and two wide set dents most of it's life, but I reshaped it to the teardrop with a higher pinch. Staining along the old creasing has not come out for me, and there is similar staining just below the ribbon. The Stetson has had a good life. Ot was definitely worn, not stored on a shelf. It is probably beyond renovation. The Dobbs could get edge banding and a different ribbon treatment which would hide its worst flaws.
Which one should I wear today? I can flip flop until I splatter paint or something on one.
b3b953afb7f9b87e9582f432abec8e3f.jpg
460131be6b1a4c6331e18687dd6ab7c7.jpg
c2ac76ed0ac118dcccd47b8be1883889.jpg
a5acd34ea6c6ffd609b9c63b6cc330ac.jpg
c5eadb6c51053c56de65f2faf37946b2.jpg
f8f3b2dc3b7fb84c9c8d6a236a35f729.jpg
d11bc942b250073b6dd8a7f4b6bcb7a6.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Maybe I shouldn't strip the lining and sweat from the old super-beater. It (first pic) is half way there to becoming something like these!
e917e441bd04a096bc0dbf33e9c64195.jpg
72a2bebb84dbb1b1f98416015049e65a.jpg
8313e514fadf3d03effb871430f7a302.jpg

You are still starting new threads rather than adding to the proper existing thread.

If you find yourself naming/titling a thread you are usually doing something wrong.

You must first open the thread you want to add to and then us the reply arrow.

Do NOT use the add a thread button:

9f3be6258c1c7cc38a9846af3248ae85.jpg

Us the arrow to add to the thread once you have opened it:

11f59cd2b1c1e12d26fe58986c6b356b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
You must first open the thread you want to add to and then us the reply arrow.

Do NOT use the add a thread button:

9f3be6258c1c7cc38a9846af3248ae85.jpg

Us the arrow to add to the thread once you have opened it:

11f59cd2b1c1e12d26fe58986c6b356b.jpg

It's confusing for me too. I thought I had posted the question about which hat to wear today of the two new possible work hats in "What hat are you wearing today," knowing it wasn't a perfect fit, but feeling it was germain. When I found it later in "Ask a question ...." I could see how it might belong there, but didnt have a clue how it actually got there!
I thought the post, in jest, about the old hat belonged most appropriately in Tabletop Hatters. I thought I entered that thread before posting. Apparently not.
However, durring all of this tapatalk bailed on me two times, so I had to sign back in. Then I started clicking things to see what they would do, trying to discover if my text was there somewhere as a draft. Signing.on without tapatalk my text seems to always be saved ad a draft.
At some point, when I looked for the post to thread I saw the page with a plus symbol and had mo idea what it meant. I thought it might be a path to my missing text, but saw that the photos I had uploaded weren't there. I eas trying to find the post reply arrow, but didn't know how, given that I didnt know what the new symbol even meant.
Now I know.
I've beem the member of quite a few forums. As far as I can remember, they always had boxes as icons to click, and inside the box would be actual text saying "post reply" or "Start a new thread." Without a legend of some kind, these unexplained symbols are quite confusing, though I guess I now understand the important ones. Are there any others I should know?
I really don't think I titled either of the new threads. They dont have the titles of where I wanted to put them.
At least, I believe I have a better grasp now.
Thanks.

It's confusing for me too. I thought I had posted the question about which hat to wear today of the two new possible work hats in "What hat are you wearing today," knowing it wasn't a perfect fit, but feeling it was germain. When I found it later in "Ask a question ...." I could see how it might belong there, but didnt have a clue how it actually got there!
I thought the post, in jest, about the old hat belonged most appropriately in Tabletop Hatters. I thought I entered that thread before posting. Apparently not.
However, durring all of this tapatalk bailed on me two times, so I had to sign back in. Then I started clicking things to see what they would do, trying to discover if my text was there somewhere as a draft. Signing.on without tapatalk my text seems to always be saved ad a draft.
At some point, when I looked for the post to thread I saw the page with a plus symbol and had mo idea what it meant. I thought it might be a path to my missing text, but saw that the photos I had uploaded weren't there. I eas trying to find the post reply arrow, but didn't know how, given that I didnt know what the new symbol even meant.
Now I know.
I've beem the member of quite a few forums. As far as I can remember, they always had boxes as icons to click, and inside the box would be actual text saying "post reply" or "Start a new thread." Without a legend of some kind, these unexplained symbols are quite confusing, though I guess I now understand the important ones. Are there any others I should know?
I really don't think I titled either of the new threads. They dont have the titles of where I wanted to put them.
At least, I believe I have a better grasp now.
Thanks.

No worriers.

The site moderators, called bartenders here on the Lounge, will merge threads or move posts if they are misplaced. If your post ends up in another location that is probably what happened. It’s happened to most of us.

The Lounge wants to keep all related information in appropriate threads. There is so much information and it’s frustrating if it’s spread all around without any organization. To wit, it’s frowned on to start new threads when a related thread is already in existence. Unless there is a good reason for a new thread one of the bartenders usually merge them.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
No worriers.

The site moderators, called bartenders here on the Lounge, will merge threads or move posts if they are misplaced. If your post ends up in another location that is probably what happened. It’s happened to most of us.

The Lounge wants to keep all related information in appropriate threads. There is so much information and it’s frustrating if it’s spread all around without any organization. To wit, it’s frowned on to start new threads when a related thread is already in existence. Unless there is a good reason for a new thread one of the bartenders usually merge them.

It's actually a little funny, but after my post got moved to ask a question, get an answer, I never did get an answer. I chose myself, but I can't tell anyone in this thread (unless they ask). I have to go to the what hat are you wearing today thread to share that.
Right?

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I have a question. Is there a comprehensive thread on sweat bands? Maybe one covering reeded and non reeded leather sweats, fabric sweats in summer hats, and maybe even artificial leather bands. I have one more vintage small brim straw hat that had an excellent fake leather sweat It was some kind of paper/cardboard product, reeded, but with a metal wire instead of #85 plastic reed, and with a flap of the same fabric instead of a separate tape for sewing into the hat. It was already wearing through the "smooth out" grained surface at the forehead when I acquired the hat. Even then it looked like inexpensive, thin leather might look as the skin surface deteriorated. I think the small patches of sweat material sewn into the forehead of some inexpensive straw hats in lieu of a full sweatband are the same material. The imitation leather bands I usually see are plastic or vinyl. They'll induce sweat, not absorb it.
I believe different hats deserve different sweat treatments. If we could pool our knowledge, it might help us all.

I have a question. Is there a comprehensive thread on sweat bands? Maybe one covering reeded and non reeded leather sweats, fabric sweats in summer hats, and maybe even artificial leather bands. I have one more vintage small brim straw hat that had an excellent fake leather sweat It was some kind of paper/cardboard product, reeded, but with a metal wire instead of #85 plastic reed, and with a flap of the same fabric instead of a separate tape for sewing into the hat. It was already wearing through the "smooth out" grained surface at the forehead when I acquired the hat. Even then it looked like inexpensive, thin leather might look as the skin surface deteriorated. I think the small patches of sweat material sewn into the forehead of some inexpensive straw hats in lieu of a full sweatband are the same material. The imitation leather bands I usually see are plastic or vinyl. They'll induce sweat, not absorb it.
I believe different hats deserve different sweat treatments. If we could pool our knowledge, it might help us all.

Are you using Google to search rather than the Lounge’s search function? Google is much better.

The google search screen:

f39315f6cb7d92d9ca3a119a8f801683.jpg

Some results for “sweatbands.”

0a05ab4e9712c6459e8b8621ec97fa1e.jpg

911953df617105ffe18369fb3157a936.jpg

31c9ecaa6acae46482f93aaecbd697e1.jpg

Just a demonstration.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Are you using Google to search rather than the Lounge’s search function? Google is much better.

The google search screen:

f39315f6cb7d92d9ca3a119a8f801683.jpg

Some results for “sweatbands.”

0a05ab4e9712c6459e8b8621ec97fa1e.jpg

911953df617105ffe18369fb3157a936.jpg

31c9ecaa6acae46482f93aaecbd697e1.jpg

Just a demonstration.

I read some of those before I ever became a member. The Lounge is one of the few places for someone to get that knowledge. missed some of them too, which I may have to look into. The stitch awl one in particular looked interesting.
I was asking, really, more about an effort to broadly cover sweats. Most, if not all of those threads seem to be addressing a specific issue of a specific member, and they seem to be scattered around. I was wondering if perhaps there was a specific sweatband forum or thread, devoted to that subject.
I don't use Google. I figure they already know enough about me, so search with more private engines, like DuckDuckGo. The others also pull up FL data though.

Eelephant

Familiar Face
So, who can recommend a maker with a decent selection of non-black homburgs? I know,I know, they are “supposed” to be black, very formal and all that, but I’m not much into black hats, too serious... plus, I have 4 dogs, if you get my drift... thanks!

Oh, as long as I’m here, for all you eBay experts, when one is searching for a specific kind of hat like, say, a homburg, how does one deal with the thousands of results caused by the sellers that describe their hat as a “fedora, homburg, pork pie, trilby, bowler, derby”???

Thanks!

Oh, as long as I’m here, for all you eBay experts, when one is searching for a specific kind of hat like, say, a homburg, how does one deal with the thousands of results caused by the sellers that describe their hat as a “fedora, homburg, pork pie, trilby, bowler, derby”???

homburg -black

You will still get the auctions where the sellers include the other keywords though.

Bob

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
So, who can recommend a maker with a decent selection of non-black homburgs? I know,I know, they are “supposed” to be black, very formal and all that, but I’m not much into black hats, too serious... plus, I have 4 dogs, if you get my drift... thanks!

Thanks!

If you're talking new/current, I can suggest Beaver Brand. I have a light brown homburg of theirs, and I like it a lot. Of course I have reshaped it (crown and brim) a bit to more suit me, and I don't have any pictures of it handy, but I can look and post later.

Eelephant

Familiar Face
If you're talking new/current, I can suggest Beaver Brand. I have a light brown homburg of theirs, and I like it a lot. Of course I have reshaped it (crown and brim) a bit to more suit me, and I don't have any pictures of it handy, but I can look and post later.
That would be terrific! Thanks! Anyone else feel like sharing pics of their non-black homburg? Perhaps a thread of its own? So as not to clutter up AAQ, GAA??

Thanks!

First: Homburgs only “need” to be black when wearing them with semi-formal dress. If you aren’t wearing a dinner suit/jacket (tuxedo) then other colors are fine and always have been. Non-black homburgs also tend to sell for higher prices on the used market.

Searching eBay necessities wading through hundreds of listings for what you’re not after in hopes of finding what you’re looking for. The more specific you make your search parameters the more likely you are to miss items. Time and patience are your best friends when really on the search for a particular hat or style of hat.

If you want a new homburg, you don’t have as many options. Stetson still makes a homburg and others might too. Custom makers offer them as well. Depending on size, the used market will probably reward your patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana