Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cozy d

Familiar Face
View attachment 176246 View attachment 176247 View attachment 176248 View attachment 176249 View attachment 176251
Yes yes yes and Hell yes!!
Most interesting felt i have ever felt. Stays like a good dog! Very happy for you.
What to do with it?? Well, if i had another one i’d make it perfect. Until then, they are only who and what they are once, so mine stays...like a good dog! Pics say it all. Note the paw prints.
B
Ps: wonder what the Lot# is on that one cause it’s an old one.

Ha! Thanks and thumbs up to ya man! Yeah, I'm tempted to leave the dust where it lay but I probably won't, and yes, I would love to take a peek under the sweatband but that curiosity has gotten me into trouble before and I'm not gonna risk it! I guess it doesn't really matter anyway... ;)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ha! Thanks and thumbs up to ya man! Yeah, I'm tempted to leave the dust where it lay but I probably won't, and yes, I would love to take a peek under the sweatband but that curiosity has gotten me into trouble before and I'm not gonna risk it! I guess it doesn't really matter anyway... ;)
Don’t blame you a bit. A small mirror slipped behind the sweat usually is non-fatal. You do what it takes to make that hat yours! Clean, dirty, restored, whatever because it’s always gonna be a near 100 yr old Boss no matter what we think.
I get excited when other’s find a real treasure. Sometimes we/i get stale with all our treasures and to know another is in that special place with a new treasure keeps me coming back!
Thank you. Feel free to post the heck outta that. Never gets old.
B

Thanks alanfgag for the Fabri-Tac suggestion. My initial thoughts are that removing the ribbon to restitch may be more trouble than it's worth and I don't know anyone local I can trust to do the job. The stitches are still holding the sweat in but loosely enough that the integrity has been compromised. I feel like my first priority should be to secure the sweat before doing anything else. How should I use the Fabri-Tac? I've never tried that before. Just a few drops right at the point where the reed meets the felt? As you can see, there's about 7 inches worth of sweatband that is currently loose and out of position. Would I need to run a bead of that stuff? Any other alternatives to consider?

Yes, just re-attach the reed tape to the hat body with the adhesive. A number of dots is easier to work with than a seven inch bead. You can try one at one point and see how it works. Just a little pressure to bring the two together and it will hold. It dries very quickly, and you can remove, if needed, with a little acetone or nail polish remover. It is strong, flexible and designed to bond fabrics.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yes, just re-attach the reed tape to the hat body with the adhesive. A number of dots is easier to work with than a seven inch bead. You can try one at one point and see how it works. Just a little pressure to bring the two together and it will hold. It dries very quickly, and you can remove, if needed, with a little acetone or nail polish remover. It is strong, flexible and designed to bond fabrics.

Well, this is timely advice.

While I was checking the LOT number on my campaign hat the other day I heard some tell tale pops.

As an aside, do these black stitches look like normal factory construction? Previous repair?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Hanna Hats in Donegal, but that is a long way from Dublin if you want to see the shop. I'm sure you can find Hanna hats at various shops and wool markets in Dublin.

I am heading to Dublin, Ireland in a couple of days. Anyone know of a hat shop in the city or nearby? I would really like to pick up a nice flat cap made with Irish tweed.

Sent from my SM-J737U using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks alanfgag for the Fabri-Tac suggestion. My initial thoughts are that removing the ribbon to restitch may be more trouble than it's worth and I don't know anyone local I can trust to do the job. The stitches are still holding the sweat in but loosely enough that the integrity has been compromised. I feel like my first priority should be to secure the sweat before doing anything else. How should I use the Fabri-Tac? I've never tried that before. Just a few drops right at the point where the reed meets the felt? As you can see, there's about 7 inches worth of sweatband that is currently loose and out of position. Would I need to run a bead of that stuff? Any other alternatives to consider?
I'm not talking from experience, but think I would shy away from a bead. I'd probably try a series of dots, and would put them a little higher than the reed.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Get a dental mirror.

Dac

New in Town
So you measure the head size, pick a hat block 1 size larger, block the hat. Now with the sweatband is it measured by the actual head size or to the hat you just blocked blocked? And next question, where can you purchase 100% beaver hat bodies for US deliveries?

Thank you

So you measure the head size, pick a hat block 1 size larger, block the hat. Now with the sweatband is it measured by the actual head size or to the hat you just blocked blocked? And next question, where can you purchase 100% beaver hat bodies for US deliveries?

Thank you

Beaver felt is hard to come by if you’re not an established hatter with an active account. You might try Etsy and look for the Hat Maker’s Emporium. Aside from that, the most common beaver felt in the US is made by Winchester, but they don’t sell to the public and we’ve heard they aren’t taking new wholesale accounts right now either. You can try FEPSA in Portugal, but their website isn’t great. Otherwise, Agnoulita has rabbit, hare, and rabbit/hare blend hat bodies. Agnoulita might also be able to sell you a beaver hat body, but I’ve never seen one so I can’t speak to their quality. There are other felters in Europe and Asia, but I don’t know how to purchase their wares or what quality they are. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Well, this is timely advice.

While I was checking the LOT number on my campaign hat the other day I heard some tell tale pops.

As an aside, do these black stitches look like normal factory construction? Previous repair?
Everybody seems really concerned about not disturbing the stitching of their most prized early vintage hats.
Here's a little food for thought though. The surprising impression I came away from Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating with is that years ago hatters thought nothing of stripping a hat of all trim, then sewing it right back in. If a contentious wearer of hats had it well maintained, it's not unreasonable to suspect the stitching in your hats is not original.
Maybe it hurts some collector value. I have no expertise in that. But if adding some new stitches will help maintain the integrity of the leather, I'd go for it. Then I'd wear it.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Everybody seems really concerned about not disturbing the stitching of their most prized early vintage hats.
Here's a little food for thought though. The surprising impression I came away from Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating with is that years ago hatters thought nothing of stripping a hat of all trim, then sewing it right back in. If a contentious wearer of hats had it well maintained, it's not unreasonable to suspect the stitching in your hats is not original.
Maybe it hurts some collector value. I have no expertise in that. But if adding some new stitches will help maintain the integrity of the leather, I'd go for it. Then I'd wear it.

I don’t know about “contentious hat wearers” but i know that reading about hats and restorations from old is nothing like popping a sweatband stitch on a prized hat. Pick up a 7X CB or a 60 yr old Borsalino and flip the sweatband not considering the stitch condition and see how you feel the moment you hear that pop.
It’s not so much about hurting “collector value” as much as it is about hurting your pride and your hat.
Here’s a little food for thought also. It’s fine reading/researching and learning, no matter the topic, but applying intellectual understanding to other’s individual experience diminishes the thesis.
I hope i did not offend. My apologies if so. I just wanted to inform.
B

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The surprising impression I came away from Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating with is that years ago hatters thought nothing of stripping a hat of all trim, then sewing it right back in.

Gee, it's almost as if I said the same thing the other day...

Certainly some hats should be rescued with a replacement sweat, liner, or rebuilding. It's not as if they were not refurbished historically. The Scientific Hat Finishing book is basically a pamphlet on how to set up your own hat refurbishment shop.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I don’t know about “contentious hat wearers” but i know that reading about hats and restorations from old is nothing like popping a sweatband stitch on a prized hat. Pick up a 7X CB or a 60 yr old Borsalino and flip the sweatband not considering the stitch condition and see how you feel the moment you hear that pop.
It’s not so much about hurting “collector value” as much as it is about hurting your pride and your hat.
Here’s a little food for thought also. It’s fine reading/researching and learning, no matter the topic, but applying intellectual understanding to other’s individual experience diminishes the thesis.
I hope i did not offend. My apologies if so. I just wanted to inform.
B
No offense. I was speaking in the same vein. Also to the black threads. It didn't have to be a repair. Maybe just a dip in gasoline

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto