Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Did anyone ever tell you that a puller downer looks like a boomerang?

Crazy, huh?
0112096a7048b7305e67c352c3ea6f53.jpg

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

LOL, have you tested your boomerang skills with it ?

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
YES.....but only for a millennium or more.....or as long as hatters have existed......
In Cave man days...Ug..."That fur thing on your head looks rough"..."but I can fix it up for you in the latest style that will attract cave woman Nancy!!!!" Grug....."ummmm..OK" Later after the hat is done.....and Cave woman Nancy in on Grugs arm......Ug.."that will be 2 fur pelts and a cooked leg of animal you owe me Grug." Grug....smiling (as much as they could back then)....."here you go...two furs and a BIG cooked leg of beast". Yes, even back then they tipped.........
M:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;););):D
That B.C. comic strip had cave man booths, didn't it?

YES.....but only for a millennium or more.....or as long as hatters have existed......
In Cave man days...Ug..."That fur thing on your head looks rough"..."but I can fix it up for you in the latest style that will attract cave woman Nancy!!!!" Grug....."ummmm..OK" Later after the hat is done.....and Cave woman Nancy in on Grugs arm......Ug.."that will be 2 fur pelts and a cooked leg of animal you owe me Grug." Grug....smiling (as much as they could back then)....."here you go...two furs and a BIG cooked leg of beast". Yes, even back then they tipped.........
M:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;););):D
That's ridiculous and far-fetched!

Nobody was named Nancy back then.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

VS pecan w / thin ribbon. Added a Tatton Baird custom made leather hatband. Yes or no on the leather option? Thoughts?
View attachment 187186 View attachment 187187

I agree with Bob, that particular leather band would go better with a large western hat.

I do like leather on some dress style hats. This hat belongs to @Woodtoll and was made by Phoenix (it’s a western weight felt, but a fedora style “woods hat”):

4f3ee9f4a9def499b59a2363875f9287.jpg

5af8bff04b66f2f490d3c62ffc064503.jpg

0fef19f3f7d3a67d0558f03ccbeb20d6.jpg

The smaller leather band without the buckle looks good to my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CaptainFach

New in Town
This seems to work on other sites, so I figure that it deserves a shot here.

If you've got a quick hat question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about cleaning, anatomy of a hat, brands, etc., this is the place.

Here's one to break the ice.
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCards.jpg
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCardsback.jpg

So I blocked my first hat and its maybe a little less than half an inch too big. Is there an easy at to fix this or do i need to reblock before I put on the ribbon and sweatband?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
VS pecan w / thin ribbon. Added a Tatton Baird custom made leather hatband. Yes or no on the leather option? Thoughts?
View attachment 187186 View attachment 187187
The VS is a very beautiful hat Ken.
The color is lovely. It would look great either way but i wouldn’t want to take a chance of the leather band discoloring the felt. And then there’s that ever present differential aging seen under wider over ribbons.
I’d go with pure Art.
B

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
So I blocked my first hat and its maybe a little less than half an inch too big. Is there an easy at to fix this or do i need to reblock before I put on the ribbon and sweatband?
How do you know it's 1/2?
Your sweat band will tale up 1/4" of it.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
You guys need to go out on the edge a little. It would look more 'natural' on your Stagecoach. I grant you that (you fellers haven't been PMing Ken lowball offers to buy it?). That pecan has enough presence to pull it off though, in my humble (cough cough) opinion.

glider

A-List Customer
I just purchased a used Stratton Union Cavalry reproduction hat . I don't know if it is fur felt or wool felt, I'm beginning to think it is wool. There are no markings telling what kind of felt it is and there really isn't anything on there web site either. If anyone knows I would be grateful. It's very stiff and before I start working it I need to know what it is, if it's wool I can't get to carried away with it.

Hello all. I have a question that I'm having trouble finding an answer for. Is white vinegar safe to use on a beaver fur felt hat?

It’s often used diluted on ribbon stains. I don’t have any experience or knowledge using it on felt, but if you’re going to use it I’d dilute it and try it in a discreet location...inside of the crown?

What kinds of stains are you trying to get out? There are several threads here on cleaning felt so don’t needlessly reinvent the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Afc

New in Town
I recently came into a lot of vintage hats that I know very little about. I'll probably sell them eventually since none fit my giant head. What can you tell me about them? Approximate worth?

IMG_20190928_131125593.jpg IMG_20191003_153838972.jpg IMG_20190928_131406829.jpg IMG_20190928_131240165.jpg IMG_20190928_131057656.jpg IMG_20190928_131325380.jpg IMG_20190928_131113076.jpg IMG_20190928_131125593.jpg

Pellie

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21