Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Hey y'all. I've been noticing some of the older pics have gotten blurred. I don't know if it's my computer, or doing it for all. I noticed in particular some of the old catalog pics in the Western Ranch Outfitters & the Miller Stockman threads. Wondering if it's doing it on your computers also, and if anyone knows whats going on.
Have you been to the optometrist?
:)

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone!

I’m a new hat maker and I’m trying to purchase my supplies/tools but it’s been a challenge since everything is so hard to find or expensive.

The 2 things I need most are:
- A rounding jack (or something comparable)
-A plastic Conformateur.

Does anyone know of where I can find them for less than $100 each?

Thanks in advance!
Under $100 isn't all that likely.
I'm building many of my own tools because everything is quite dear. I'm a carpenter, with tools, and even a couple lumber racks.
As timing has it, I just blocked some hats and am about to need a rounding jack. Oak is the only hardwood I have around, and I planned to start building myself one from oak tomorrow. I also planned to build three at the same time, because duplicating things you have already tooled up for is pretty easy. You just do each step three times in a row.
I would consider selling one of my duplicates for $100 plus shipping, though I had been thinking of a little bit higher price point.
If you're a new member you may not be able to use the message function yet, but I think I can message you. I believe I'll have them complete, finished and ready to use by the end of the week, unless some bugs need to be ironed out.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
In the Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating book, Ermatinger briefly discusses Finishing Powders, as he's talking about luring a hat with grease.
It sounds like they are powdered dye, or function like they are, coming in different colors to be used on coarse, mottled or steaked hat's. They're kept in bags made of 2 or 3 layers of cheesecloth, dusted all over the hat, then lured into the felt with a greased pad.
Does anyone know what they are, or were, and if they can still be obtained.
Some of his cleaning chemicals can't be had unless you go to the dark web; cyanide, for instance.

Last edited:

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the link. I didn't find all that much useful information though on what exact type of sandpaper to use unless it actually doesn't matter that much. One person mentioned using 1200 and 1500 grit, which I think is usually the car type of sandpaper?
I don't know if you got an answer to your question, but in the book "Cowboy Hat Making Fundamentals" the author Scott Goodwin suggests using 180, 220, 320 grit on a new hat build. He suggests too much sanding may bring out imperfections hidden in the felt.

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
I don't know if you got an answer to your question, but in the book "Cowboy Hat Making Fundamentals" the author Scott Goodwin suggests using 180, 220, 320 grit on a new hat build. He suggests too much sanding may bring out imperfections hidden in the felt.
too much or too fine ( a grit)?

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,

Any ideas about this hat ? It's labeled as a Stetsonian, but all the Stetsonians I have seen are wider brims.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Thanks.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I have a question Texans might be most likely to answer. I don't need to purchase any more hats until I get hat storage issues under control. However, there's a local ad for a good looking western, a rolled brim gambler, I suppose. It's $20, and my size. The ad says it's from Hatters Custom Hats in Ft. Worth.
Is anyone familiar with them? Am I looking at a true custom, or did some outfit just put "custom" in their name?
Thanks

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
I have a question Texans might be most likely to answer. I don't need to purchase any more hats until I get hat storage issues under control. However, there's a local ad for a good looking western, a rolled brim gambler, I suppose. It's $20, and my size. The ad says it's from Hatters Custom Hats in Ft. Worth.
Is anyone familiar with them? Am I looking at a true custom, or did some outfit just put "custom" in their name?
Thanks

I have heard of them, but haven’t done business with them. They seem to be legit, been around quite a while. Here’s an article

http://www.fortworthbusiness.com/ne...cle_58e94b16-0063-11e8-8758-73b6c4e969d3.html

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Did anyone ever tell you that a puller downer looks like a boomerang?

Crazy, huh?
0112096a7048b7305e67c352c3ea6f53.jpg

I reshaped the block, closer to my Stratoliner. This is the final wrestling match. I succeeded in getting that flabby felt pulled in new directions Earlier, so tonight was a walk in the park.
47f5faccbe5d1c3f573f4a0de1bc31db.jpg
50b62e567e97f821b66ba000390170b8.jpg

Last edited:
That is actually the business model I have had in mind to start shaping, repairing, renovating and making hats. I didn't realize it was a tried and proven plan.

YES.....but only for a millennium or more.....or as long as hatters have existed......
In Cave man days...Ug..."That fur thing on your head looks rough"..."but I can fix it up for you in the latest style that will attract cave woman Nancy!!!!" Grug....."ummmm..OK" Later after the hat is done.....and Cave woman Nancy in on Grugs arm......Ug.."that will be 2 fur pelts and a cooked leg of animal you owe me Grug." Grug....smiling (as much as they could back then)....."here you go...two furs and a BIG cooked leg of beast". Yes, even back then they tipped.........
M:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;););):D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko