Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T Rick

Practically Family
The "Links to Important Hat Forum Threads" until recently linked a thread that supplied information on the hat manufacturers (past & present). I can't find the thread. Anyone know where that thread is or where the information can be gotten?
A quick search turned up this one. Off to check the results for more...

Ralphin Ormond

New in Town
Oh, Yes, Do!

fmw: It might be a good idea to post links to the various custom makers' web sites. I'm not sure who all of them are but I'll give it a shot if it doesn't exist already. Maybe others can add to the list.

I would be one who will very much appreciate if you will do this. I could just scan down a web page and buy a Stetson as well as anyone else but I am making it a personal challenge to buy a hat that does for me what I know hats can do. I think your list would be critical to my plans. Thank you, Ralph

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I have been looking, but I honestly don't even know what keywords to use... someone a few weeks ago mentioned a stiffening agent. I have a Stetson with a brim that has a weak spot just in front of the crown. So, when I wear it there is a weird dip in the brim before it gets to the edge. It ends up looking like a little cup in front of the hatband. I want it to look like a nice gradual slope curled down but it has this goofy wave now.

Anyway, someone mentioned a stiffening agent or maybe a starching product that can stiffen the felt a little.

Can anyone remember what that product was?

T Rick

Practically Family
I have been looking, but I honestly don't even know what keywords to use... someone a few weeks ago mentioned a stiffening agent. I have a Stetson with a brim that has a weak spot just in front of the crown. So, when I wear it there is a weird dip in the brim before it gets to the edge. It ends up looking like a little cup in front of the hatband. I want it to look like a nice gradual slope curled down but it has this goofy wave now.

Anyway, someone mentioned a stiffening agent or maybe a starching product that can stiffen the felt a little.

Can anyone remember what that product was?

I'm not certain, but I think it may have been this (I recall reading it too).

T Rick

Practically Family
I have worn some vintage Resistols that appeared to be supple but once I actually sweated against & the sweat dried the band became hard & brittle, had to be replaced.
Leather needs the right oils to stay supple. Forehead oil & sweat can hurt a vintage sweatband...

What do you recommend to use for preservation (both new and old if the same?)?

EggHead

Practically Family
To underwelt or not?
I generally like my hats with cut edge brim, but should I go for an underwelt brim? Does it add anything or detract from the brim? Does make it look "heavy"?

To underwelt or not?
I generally like my hats with cut edge brim, but should I go for an underwelt brim? Does it add anything or detract from the brim? Does make it look "heavy"?

I think it adds a bit of style to the brim. Raw edge is more casual than a edge with a treatment = over/under or bound. Art put just the smallest underwelt on my last VS Custom & it is the berries!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Egghead -- this Disney may show you what you're looking for. What's interesting to me is that a nicely done underwelt actually provides a kind of faux Guild/Cavanagh edge on the top. It's a neat effect.

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Egghead -- this Disney may show you what you're looking for. What's interesting to me is that a nicely done underwelt actually provides a kind of faux Guild/Cavanagh edge on the top. It's a neat effect.

Cheers,
JtL

I have a Dobbs with a similar edge that looks just like a Cavanagh above--no visible stitching on the top. Shows as typical underwelt on bottom(with two stitch rows-one next to edge) but not a standard example if it is like mine. Made with some special device.

5379840398_1390499315_z.jpg
5379236213_96b0c28505_z.jpg

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Special equipment and multiple steps. Has the advantage over a Cavanagh type in that the same body can be trimmed before the edging takes place for multiple dimensions.

scooter

Practically Family
Ok, I'm giving up and am going to ask a rookie question. What do the acronyms NAB, WAB, and WAR stand for? I think I worked out that the W and the WN are wide and narrow, and the B and R are brim and ribbon, but I'm not sure. Someone wanna clear this up for me?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I'm giving up and am going to ask a rookie question. What do the acronyms NAB, WAB, and WAR stand for? I think I worked out that the W and the WN are wide and narrow, and the B and R are brim and ribbon, but I'm not sure. Someone wanna clear this up for me?

ass.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner