Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
How much is a reasonable/fair going price of a vintage Electric hat stretcher? In good cosmetic and working condition?
Thanks,CC

If you google search you will find a couple of recent sales that should give you a ballpark. I would avoid using these with heat on... you can cook the leather and plastic/resin components on a vintage hat.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
If you google search you will find a couple of recent sales that should give you a ballpark. I would avoid using these with heat on... you can cook the leather and plastic/resin components on a vintage hat.

What is the difference between using a commercial stretcher versus a using a small wooden stretcher if your not using the heater? just for collectible purposes?

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars

What is the difference between using a commercial stretcher versus a using a small wooden stretcher if your not using the heater? just for collectible purposes?

The commerical stretcher is domed & reaches all the way up the inside of the crown. A small wooden one only presses at the sweatband area & can distort that part of the crown. Vintage stretchers are much wider than the modern small wooden ones & reach further up the crown.

Is there a source to buy a good quality working hat steamer without breaking the bank?
Thanks,CC

Making one of these attachments is easy & cheap...
steamtool.jpg

Lloyd

A-List Customer

In addition to gtdean48's comments the commercial stretchers usually have a scale on them so you have a better idea what size you are really stretching the hat to. And a greatly increased ability to really crank on the hat if it's thick felt or if it needs a lot of stretching.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Hello,
Does natural forehead skin oil hurt vintage hat sweatbands?Discolor it,Etc?
Is there a way to control it or deal with it?
Now I don't mean excessive oil just normal I think than again I am not sure what a amount normal is.
I am sure I can't be the only one that has/had this issue.
Please Loungers lets hear your views,thoughts,answers,cures,Etc.
Thanks,CC

facade

A-List Customer
The "Links to Important Hat Forum Threads" until recently linked a thread that supplied information on the hat manufacturers (past & present). I can't find the thread. Anyone know where that thread is or where the information can be gotten?

fmw

One Too Many
It might be a good idea to post links to the various custom makers' web sites. I'm not sure who all of them are but I'll give it a shot if it doesn't exist already. Maybe others can add to the list.

DRB

One Too Many
CC: I have never heard of oil hurting a leather sweatband. I put wax (a form of oil) on leather jackets and shoes with no problem. I believe that what wears out a leather sweatband is: time, how many times it has been worn or stretched or shrunk. Dry leather does not fair well when stretched. If you were to put some sort of emollient on the sweatband, it would last longer, but who wants emollient on their forehead?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello,
Does natural forehead skin oil hurt vintage hat sweatbands?Discolor it,Etc?
Is there a way to control it or deal with it?
Now I don't mean excessive oil just normal I think than again I am not sure what a amount normal is.
I am sure I can't be the only one that has/had this issue.
Please Loungers lets hear your views,thoughts,answers,cures,Etc.
Thanks,CC

I doubt it. Probably acts as a conditioner to the leather if anything. I don't think hats are so delicate as to worry about that. And if for any reason the sweatband fell apart, you could just replace it with a new one at low cost and be better off altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters