Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I suually associate the rise of heir gels and pomades with the 50s (Greasers, etc.). But yes, they did use some slick stuff in the thirties, as well. My limited collection has few, if any, pre-WWII hats, but I do have a few without protectors.

2. thundurchasur

thundurchasur Familiar Face

I'm pretty sure many of us remember, "a little dab will do ya," Brylcream ads.

3. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Yeah, and since my dad - and Pete Rose - had a flattop in the 60s, so did I for a while, Which led to...

ButchWaxJar.jpg

4. thundurchasur

thundurchasur Familiar Face

Don't forget this. I was born in 53 and wore a flat top through most of elementary school. flat top.jpg

Zombie_61, hatsRme and Frunobulax like this.
  5. LONG STORY SHORT

LONG STORY SHORT New in Town

Hey Folks! Do you know where I could buy fit-all-sizes sweatband like the one on Vivienne Westwood's mountain hat? I plan to make a hat for a child, and I recon this would be the best solution for growing head.

Attached Files:

deadlyhandsome and Blare like this.
  6. Jerm

Jerm New in Town

My stratoliner came in yesterday and i love the hat. Problem is the pin already fell out from just walking around the house. No idea where its at. It was a cool jbs one too and not the airplane one i was expecting. Is that normal to be in so loose? Can i get a replacement anywhere?

7. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

You can find replacements on Ebay

8. Jerm

Jerm New in Town

Just stetson pin or what?

9. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

PM me your address and I'll send you one.

Hat and Rehat and Jerm like this.
  10. Jerm

Jerm New in Town

Thats awful kind of you. I would gladly cover shipping

11. Tomasz Zieniewicz

Tomasz Zieniewicz New in Town

I tired to identify one of the hats I got, but it has proven rather difficult.
    Before posting on the Lounge i thought its an Italian 60s Homburg style hat made by Vanzina Pavia Qualita Extra, but actually it is not.

It reasambles in its shape and style the Borsalino Mirtillo Homburg i found in the Lounge, but its not quite the same, and as
    @Steve1857 (thanks for information) pointed out it is actually not a Homburg hat, nor a Fedora, and not a Trilby, but rather a mix of three or a style of it's own. Also Vanzina was bought by Borsalino in 1956, so the hat must have been made pre 1960, or does it now work this way?

If anyone can correct me or provide more background to this particular hat, I would be really greatful.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  12. new2hats

new2hats One of the Regulars

So I have a family history of cervical spine spondylosis and wonder if wearing hats might affect my neck health down the line. I recently obtained a scale to measure food, but have started using it on some hats to see how heavy they are in comparison to each other. Not surprisingly, some western-type hats are heavier than stingy brim types. I just sold a heavier hat on Ebay that as 150 grams, a modern Stetson. A bunch of vintage hats so far weigh about 130 grams and that seems to be the norm. Anyone have any experience with neck surgeries, or neck issues and wearing hats? I wonder if any hat sellers/retailers would weigh any for me if I ask. Otherwise I would have to rely on Ebay sellers to weigh at their home. Also, any suggestions for type of hat? Are more quality/higher priced felts like Beaver lighter?

steur likes this.
  13. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Tomasz, Please see this link. I would post it there too. Great find!

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/italian-brands-hats.60339/page-8#post-1945625

Steve1857 likes this.
  14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Until I started working at 12 years old and could afford my own haircuts the only choice I had was a buzz cut....all around not even a flat top. It was the biggest bang for the haircut buck and lasted a long time. My mother a child of the depression was very frugal but aspirational so was averse to cutting her kids hair. A little too declasse' for an aspirational woman of the 1950's

15. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Instead of having hats lying around all over the place or stashed in hat boxes I think I'd like to hang them on the wall(s) behind my stereo speakers in the downstairs for both display and to help break up standing waves (my speakers are planars so sound comes out in both directions). I also don't want to damage the hats SO any recommendations?

16. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Never weighed a hat before. Never had a neck issue except when I tried to wear a hat in the vehicle. Then I figured out how to tilt it back in my head.;)
    Now I have noticed some hats are heavier than others. Arts summer weight beaver hats are the second lightest I own. I have a vintage Stetson 25 that is lighter.
    If you are going for Akubra I find any hat with a brim binding is thinner and lighter than a raw edge hat. Like my Cattleman is lighter then my Coolabah. And my Squatter is lighter then my federation.
    My Panama’s are lighter than any hat I own but don’t do well in wind and don’t hold up in rain. I plan on trying a Sunbody hat some summer. Hopefully this one. So I have no idea how heavy they are.
    Another consideration is how stiff and wide the brim is and how windy it is.
    Not sure if that helps or answers your question. If you want more or more specific just let me know
    Johnny

17. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

If you have forced air heating in your house then dust will likely be an issue. I would love to keep my hats out on display but don't have the time nor patience to do the brushing that would be required. So I keep them in hat boxes with labels written in large block letters so I can easily pick out the one I am after.

18. Headpatrolman

Headpatrolman New in Town

Does anyone have any information on L.T. Muench hats? I got one today at an antiques store and don't know much about them. I did a search here and nothing comes up. A google search turns up some entries in the american hatter from the early 1900's but this hat does not look like it can be that old. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

19. Headpatrolman

Headpatrolman New in Town

This is the Muench hat[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk