Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emilis

Familiar Face
Sure, get yourself the correct sized block for the finished hat that you want to make. You can try securing an extra felt body to the block and then blocking over that as well.
That's a good idea, I'll just block over some cheaper wool felt and then block my fur felt. I hope it works!!

Emilis

Familiar Face
Sure, get yourself the correct sized block for the finished hat that you want to make. You can try securing an extra felt body to the block and then blocking over that as well.
Or maybe I could put some sort of layer of glaze on top... What do you think?

Mark Chmielewski

New in Town
Hello everyone. I hope you and your families are well.

I have a question about Lock & Co Hats' dates on the logo printed directly inside the hats' crown. The current ones say "founded 1676," but some say "established 1676" or "established 1759." Are these others' fake or just older/other logos?

Mark Chmielewski

New in Town
Some examples to help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200510-095852_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-095852_eBay.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 448
  • Screenshot_20200510-095921_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-095921_eBay.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 456
  • Screenshot_20200510-095947_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-095947_eBay.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 457
Hello everyone. I hope you and your families are well.

I have a question about Lock & Co Hats' dates on the logo printed directly inside the hats' crown. The current ones say "founded 1676," but some say "established 1676" or "established 1759." Are these others' fake or just older/other logos?
Never noticed that before. There's an interesting book on the history of Lock&Co by Frank Whitbourn. Here's a link to it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Lock-St...eywords=frank+whitbourn&qid=1589110601&sr=8-2
James Lock the hatter was born in 1731, so well after Lock&Co was "founded". The date of 1676 refers to the establishment of a previous hatter on the same location, called Robert Davis, hatter and hosier, who rented the place from a George James Lock. So to say that Lock&Co was founded in 1676 is a bit misleading and you'd think that a date of 1759, when James Lock took over, would be provenance enough. Likely the different imprints were used over different time periods and perhaps for different markets and took in consideration the different legal rules for brand protection and copyright. I don't have enough Lock&Co hats to be able to say which ones were used in what time-period.

Emilis

Familiar Face
Using a block that has the same circumference as your head measurement will make you a hat that you cannot wear, it will be a size too small.
Understood, but now my question is, how much is one size too small? Is it 1mm, or a specific number of milimetres?

My head measure is 59cm...when making a hat for myself I block it on a 60cm sized long oval block. I sew in a size 59.3cm leather sweat as I like my hats to fit just slightly loose.
Also if you buy your block and flange separately you need about a 5cm gap........the block needs to be smaller than the flange opening to accommodate the thickness of the felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner