Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I used 90% but not like for medical use, so it shouldnt be as 'clean' as maybe needed. I'll try one from the pharmacy...
The best I can get here is 75% ethanol and 25% methanol and it works fine on all fur felt colours. Be sure you are getting denatured alcohol and not the isopropynal. It is more a DoItYourself item rather than a pharmaceutical item. I buy mine from a woodworkers shop.

I love this fedora, does anybody know a hat that looks similar to this one ? View attachment 285027
I have 2 nice Barbisio Italian hats just like that in my shop that DeadlyHandsome gifted me. What size are you? Send me $55 for the new sweat band it needs, postage (if in the USA) and a hat box and you can have a grey one or the olive green one. With the new sweat it will be like new.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Any ideas on a stamping ink that won't smudge once applied to the back of a sweatband? I am thinking of vintage hats that have been posted where dates were ink stamped on the backside of the sweatband. I tried using Ranger Archival Ink, which is advertised as acid-free, waterproof, and permanent. It stamps great, but if I rub my finger across it then it smudges, even days after the stamping.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
@Melkat88 and @belfastboy

Not sure if this product is available in Germany and Canada but I use liquid shellac from the hardware store called Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac Clear, then I dilute it with denatured alcohol. I haven't tried from flakes but I haven't found a need to keep a large amount of shellac on hand.

@Melkat88 and @belfastboy

Not sure if this product is available in Germany and Canada but I use liquid shellac from the hardware store called Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac Clear, then I dilute it with denatured alcohol. I haven't tried from flakes but I haven't found a need to keep a large amount of shellac on hand.
I have not seen that exact item but the Zinzer I have looked at all had wax in their mix. I use flakes but mix about a tablespoon at a time in a concentrated mix with the denat alcohol. Dilute some of the mix before application. It lasts in the mixed form for upwards of 6 months. I bought a pound of flakes so am supplied for a looooong time.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Any ideas on a stamping ink that won't smudge once applied to the back of a sweatband? I am thinking of vintage hats that have been posted where dates were ink stamped on the backside of the sweatband. I tried using Ranger Archival Ink, which is advertised as acid-free, waterproof, and permanent. It stamps great, but if I rub my finger across it then it smudges, even days after the stamping.
So I just checked another test stamp that I did on the back of a leather sweatband 7 days ago with the same ink, when rubbing it after a week there was almost no smudging. I guess it just needs some time. Not sure if there is something that can be applied as a sealer.

Stamping the felt with the same ink is a no go though. It stamps fine but remains smudgeable up to this point, 7 days later. Was trying to find something to stamp on the inside of the crown if there was no liner. I have seen logo stamping done before.

Last edited:

glider

A-List Customer
I just snagged a pretty nice Biltmore at a really nice price. It doesn't say what type of felt they used I'm assuming it is wool felt. Seems like they would say if it was fur felt. However the felt really feels good and shapes good, like the proverbial clay. Made in Canada and it's a baby blue. So, anybody know about Biltmore ?

I just snagged a pretty nice Biltmore at a really nice price. It doesn't say what type of felt they used I'm assuming it is wool felt. Seems like they would say if it was fur felt. However the felt really feels good and shapes good, like the proverbial clay. Made in Canada and it's a baby blue. So, anybody know about Biltmore ?
Believe it or not more often than not it is wool that is labeled... usually due to regulations. Love to see some photos.

glider

A-List Customer
I'll take some pictures today. It's an Imperial, tag inside the sweat says designer series. Actually it was part of a 2 hat deal. It wasn't the hat I was after but it's actually nicer than the hat I wanted. Not that the other hat isn't a good buy also. Gotta love it when things go your way for a change.

glider

A-List Customer
20201207_135940.jpg 20201207_135854.jpg 20201207_135909.jpg 20201207_135921.jpg

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Miller Hats: (If this needs to be moved, please do so. Just please tell me where to find it though. :) )

I am considering the purchase of a Miller Hat in the style of a Fort Riley Cavalry hat, 7X , 4 1/4 crown, 3.5" raw edge brim, no chin strap and in black.

https://www.millerhats.com/store/cavalry_hats/Cavalry_Hats _7X/908_Fort_Riley_Cavalry_Hat

As to the price, I was a bit surprised. I thought it was reasonable, especially with the available options.
Does anyone have any first hand experience with this company or their hats of this cut?

I did note there is a resounding number of 5 star and 4 star reviews for this company.
Just wanted to get some opinions and see if there is something I am overlooking and need to educate myself about this company and their products.

Thank you,
WHW

Miller Hats: (If this needs to be moved, please do so. Just please tell me where to find it though. :) )

I am considering the purchase of a Miller Hat in the style of a Fort Riley Cavalry hat, 7X , 4 1/4 crown, 3.5" raw edge brim, no chin strap and in black.

https://www.millerhats.com/store/cavalry_hats/Cavalry_Hats _7X/908_Fort_Riley_Cavalry_Hat

As to the price, I was a bit surprised. I thought it was reasonable, especially with the available options.
Does anyone have any first hand experience with this company or their hats of this cut?

I did note there is a resounding number of 5 star and 4 star reviews for this company.
Just wanted to get some opinions and see if there is something I am overlooking and need to educate myself about this company and their products.

Thank you,
WHW
I am not sure if this is definitive but I have a Miller Hat (a Homburg). It is okay quality, not great but acceptable (middle of the road for a mass produced hat) for the price I paid for it. I am not sure they are a manufacturer and may be just an online sales outlet. They have others make hats for them and brand them Miller. My Miller is a Biltmore made hat.

I am not sure if this is definitive but I have a Miller Hat (a Homburg). It is okay quality, not great but acceptable (middle of the road for a mass produced hat) for the price I paid for it. I am not sure they are a manufacturer and may be just an online sales outlet. They have others make hats for them and brand them Miller. My Miller is a Biltmore made hat.

Biltmore of Canada made solid serviceable hats. They usually weren’t anything special, but they were decent and well-made. Biltmore hats made in the US are part of Bollman and my experience with three hats has been uniformly horrible. I will not consider a US made Biltmore at any price.

I don’t know if Miller is having Bollman make their hats, but there is only a small group of suspects anymore. @WesternHatWearer I’d suggest trying the hat in person or making sure there is a good return policy.

Snowman

Practically Family
Does anyone have experience with the new (2015) Royal Stetson Stratoliner? I am asking specifically about the brim - mine curls and flops and won’t hold a shape; don’t even think about a snap. The felt is quite thin. Even though I rarely wear it now that I have a couple of decent vintage hats, it would get some head time if it were more presentable.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
My modern Strat is about 3 yrs old and the brim does seem to be more flexible and floppy over time. It is not bothersome to me but some of the others can chime in and/or you might do some searches to find out how to apply some shellac to the brim.

Does anyone have experience with the new (2015) Royal Stetson Stratoliner? I am asking specifically about the brim - mine curls and flops and won’t hold a shape; don’t even think about a snap. The felt is quite thin. Even though I rarely wear it now that I have a couple of decent vintage hats, it would get some head time if it were more presentable.

Strafford Hats out of Chicago has made uniform hats for years. They also own Winchester felt in Tn. They make really good quality, very durable and also produce some Union and Confederate hats. I have a blue cavalry hat from them, good stuff

This is Stratton Hats, right? I own a half dozen Stratton hats in both fur felt and “straw.” They are rugged and built to take abuse and still look good. They aren’t among the more comfortable hats I own as they are thick and stiff and don’t readily conform to my head shape. I have a place for them in my collection, but they are not hats I look forward to wearing if that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy