Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

A word of caution.....I am largely self taught at this hat making so not sure if my point of view is correct historically BUT that has never stopped me from an opinion! My approach would be to try with just the steam first....no shellac and see what result you get. In terms of shellac I don't think it matters. A good felt is so forgiving and the shellac gets into the fibres and when given a goodly shot of steam softens the shellac as well.

So you can steam, bash, shellac or shellac then bash. Should not matter but my approach would be to apply a light coat of shellac first being cautious with a light touch........otherwise if you go tooo heavy you end up with a fedora come safety hard hat. I am making an Indy replica hat right now with very soft rabbit felt. I gave the brim a light coat, the crown none. Will bash it today and see how it takes.......if not I will go another round of shellac to the brim and maybe the crown in order to hold the tight pinches for the Indy.

2. FedoraRedHat

FedoraRedHat New in Town

Does anyone know where you can buy boater-width (2") grosgrain hat bands with bow in solid colors (preferably brown)? The best I can find is 1 3/8" width. Thanks.

3. Emilis

Emilis Familiar Face

Hello members,

I'm seeking all the information I can get on this type of hat steaming. Will upload images for reference.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

Blare likes this.
  4. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

"that's hot" said Paris

hatsRme, Frunobulax and Blare like this.
  5. MagicMan

MagicMan New in Town

Does anyone know where I can purchase a feather like this? This is a picture that was posted here on the forum. I just love that fluorescent blue feather and think it would look great on my gray Bailey hat. 20200508_195525.jpg

Blare and Rmccamey like this.

6. If you Google “fedora feathers” you’ll see all sorts of options.

Blare and Rmccamey like this.
  7. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Check with Tim @purebeaver on Instagram. Or etsy.

Blare, Rmccamey and belfastboy like this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

That looks home made to me.

Blare and Emilis like this.
  9. Emilis

Emilis Familiar Face

Any thoughts on how this contraption was made?

10. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

A welder, a drill press and a pipe wrench.

hatsRme, M Hatman, Zombie_61 and 4 others like this.
  11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

buy a Jiffy Steamer.....much easier and they work great.

hatsRme and Rmccamey like this.
  12. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'm not sure where I got that one. I've picked up a few over the years with the fly fishing gear at some of the outdoor stores.
    20200506_065942.jpg

Blare, johnnycanuck, hatsRme and 4 others like this.
  13. derryman

derryman New in Town

Hi. I’d appreciate any forum recommendations on an eight panel cap (newsboy/baker boy type) that’s more high and tight than the more popular bulbous/floppy options.

I already own a few of the latter but I don’t think they look the best on my disproportionately small head and large shoulders :)

14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have picked up a few on Etsy....there are a number of makers there that have slimmer profiles.

Blare likes this.
  15. Possum

Possum New in Town

I have a question. I was wondering how old this hat might be? The sweat band and liner is gone, I bought it at a flea market for $3. I know y'all can't give a definite answer, I just wanted a guesstimate.

Attached Files:

Blare likes this.
  16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It really is difficult to date a hat based on looking at the style alone. The common methods are to examine sweatband imprints, logos, tagging, and a few other build quality items (is the liner sewn or glued in?). Your hat, from a style perspective, looks to be 60s, maybe even 70s, but that's just a WAG. Without any other clues to point to, it's just a shot in the dark.

17. Possum

Possum New in Town

Thanks for the reply. I knew it wasn't going to be possible to date it, I just wanted an educated guess and I got one!

hatsRme, Zombie_61, Blare and 2 others like this.
  18. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Recommendations of a source for a "snowflake" vent hole punch?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Blare likes this.
  19. K5MOW

K5MOW New in Town

I just purchased from JJ hat center an Ken. It arrived yesterday and it fits very nice. I would not want it to get any tighter but it actually fits great. My question is. is it likely to shrink or stretch out a little bit with use. I don’t plan on wearing it in the rain or anything like that. If it stretched a little no problem. I however would not want it to shrink. What do you all think will it shrink or stretch a little. Seems like my other hats have stretched a little but not much.
    Thank you Roger

Blare likes this.
  20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

You might consider cutting yourself a 'band block' in your size to insert into the hat when not worn. That will keep it to your size. Failing that use a hat jack extended to your size......not to stretch it.....but to keep it at the correct size. The band block advantage is not having to fiddle with it each time and if inclined can cut it to match the approx shape of your head.....round or long oval...