Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
It sounds like one of those hats you'll regret more not buying than actually buying, so buy it, Brent :)

Needless to say, Mark's advice is good.

I’m not sure anyone here has ever told me to not buy a hat :)
I keep looking at it, but when dressed to the nines I think I’d be fastidious about all the details being perfect. And then there’s the fact that I don’t own a tailcoat. Hmmm

Antinomy

Familiar Face
The answer is that very few suppliers/hatters work with FEPSA. Optimo out of Chicago make their hats with FEPSA felt but very few (if any) others in North America. We had a supplier out of PA but FEPSA stopped selling to him for an unstated reason. So at this point there is really no easy way to get a FEPSA felt unless you buy from Optimo . The alternative is D'Aquino (Etsy.com) out of Lisbon. They sell FEPSA rabbit but their hats are just okay quality. You can get beaver as a special order but their customer service is spotty at best.

Thank you! Does D'Aquino sell capelines too?

I keep looking at it, but when dressed to the nines I think I’d be fastidious about all the details being perfect. And then there’s the fact that I don’t own a tailcoat. Hmmm

You're a big guy. The hat adds even more height. Nobody will see it unless you go to an NBA game.

Thank you! Does D'Aquino sell capelines too?
They don't list them on their site and I do not think so......only finished hats. Agnoulito (Etsy) doesn't list them but he did have some beaver at one point but they were on the small side and not large enough to make a fedora to my dimensions. The only source for FEPSA beaver is from Tim @purebeaver...Instagram. He still has a decent selection of sizes and colours.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
You don't need a tail coat to wear a top hat, Brent. Nor do you necessarily need to be dressed to the nines.
However, if that's what you want a top hat for, I understand your holding back on that one.

You don't need a tail coat to wear a top hat, Brent. Nor do you necessarily need to be dressed to the nines.
However, if that's what you want a top hat for, I understand your holding back on that one.

I hear you. My black Homburgs were originally purchased with the thought of pairing them with my dinner suit, but that hasn’t often been the case. Maybe I should hold out for a grey topper in case I get that invite to the Royal Ascot? :)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
20200817_154734.jpg

...or maybe a grey bowler for the more casual look.

I hear you. My black Homburgs were originally purchased with the thought of pairing them with my dinner suit, but that hasn’t often been the case. Maybe I should hold out for a grey topper in case I get that invite to the Royal Ascot? :)

Antinomy

Familiar Face
They don't list them on their site and I do not think so......only finished hats. Agnoulito (Etsy) doesn't list them but he did have some beaver at one point but they were on the small side and not large enough to make a fedora to my dimensions. The only source for FEPSA beaver is from Tim @purebeaver...Instagram. He still has a decent selection of sizes and colours.

iam interesting in rabbit fur at this moment, for mans hat

iam interesting in rabbit fur at this moment, for mans hat
You may be able to buy Fepsa rabbit felts from D'Aquino....send her an email. But I am a big fan of Tonak rabbit....they are wonderful rabbit felts, great quality, easy to work with. The best pricing is from Agnoulito but also close in price is GuyMorseBrown out of the UK although a much smaller colour choice.

Hats from John Batterson - fifth avenue vs. John B. Stetson
I've seen photos of two John Batterson hats posted in FL.
One member asking about information to the brand, but received no reply.
My google search for details was not successful either.
This hat sold by Whitehouse & Hardy - New York
Does anybody know more about the brand?

View attachment 168635

An old question that I don't think received an answer. Today I had the same question after reviewing a hat posting on Facebook. The only reference I can find to the store (clearly a reference to John Batterson Stetson, but by whom?) is from a 1956 New Yorker magazine quote. I'm a subscriber but have not been successful logging in to the digital archives for a closer look. Anyone have thoughts or more information?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21