Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Steven, I think you’re spot-on. I’ve come to a similar conclusion, and aside from a few Akubras I haven’t bought a new factory hat in a couple years. Of course if you have the right head size vintage is a great way to go.

Brent

Blare and 1967Cougar390 like this.
  2. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

DBA MD DLFAPA1948 New in Town

Sorry to hear that DH. I purchased the Untouchable from JJ in brown and went to Magill directly to get their blue gray model of the same style and quality called the Valencia. Same product just a name change. Really happy with the thickness of the felt. Craftsmanship and brim snap on a 3 inch raw edge. You can check it out on magill.com. I purchased a gray 2 3/4 brim from JJ. Lighter weight but well made. I can look up the name if you are interested. They won’t be as durable as an Akubra but what is?

Blare likes this.
  3. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

Thanks Brent. I know we discussed vintage, but I’m with you on my hat size, 7 5/8 or 61. That size narrows the vintage field considerably. :) I am strongly considering having a custom Playboy or Stratoliner style hat commissioned by M.C. Gannon. I need to reach out to him via email and see what his lead/que time is currently.

Steven

Blare, deadlyhandsome and belfastboy like this.
  4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

They look good in the pics but at the price of a Valencia you are approaching the price for a custom rabbit felt hat.

Blare and DBA MD DLFAPA1948 like this.

5. Gannon’s prices just went up. Still very fair, but getting more expensive.

Blare likes this.
  6. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

Fortunately I purchased them on sale. BUT from the education that you are providing, I best ask advice here for my next custom hat.

Blare likes this.
  7. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

I purchased them under 200. Do you think that was unreasonable?

Blare likes this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I am not a fan in general of factory made hats. I would rather risk the vintage market or go custom as I think it is money better spent. Under $200 is waaay better than the $400 for the Valencia but as a relatively new custom hat maker it is my goal to make a custom hat for less than what Stetson charges for theirs. In factory made hats I think Akubra represents the best value out there. I am down to just two modern Stetsons....Stetsonian model.....great felt, generally well made but shoddy ribbon work and it hasn't worn well. But I did buy it on sale. If I had paid the full $275 I would be disappointed in the value.

9. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

Wow you are a custom hat maker! How fortuitous. How about posting a link please?

Blare likes this.
  10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Don't have one yet. I am busy with just word of mouth and repeat business. Thinking of an Etsy site when I get caught up but fearful of being over whelmed.

11. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

Sounds like you are intent on quality craftsmanship

12. I’m one of his repeat customers. His hats are great, and I have a few more in the works with him...and a few more on the horizon.

Blare, DBA MD DLFAPA1948 and Rmccamey like this.
  13. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

And you have impeccable taste DH. BTW I just installed the Akubra kangaroo chinstrap in the hat on my Avatar. It’s the one that I blocked yesterday and modeled after your moonstone Akubra.

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  14. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

I'll second DH and vouch for @belfastboy as he made me this hat this past summer:
    IMG_20200728_145447324.jpg IMG_20200728_145524693.jpg IMG_20200813_000216380.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

15. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

16. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

deadlyhandsome and Blare like this.
  17. riffraff

riffraff New in Town

Good morning, all,
    I need some opinions on brands/models for a replacement hat. My new dog tore up my favorite Akubra (chewed it into confetti) which, naturally, is no longer being produced. So, trying to find something similar.

Picture a Fed IV in dark blue made with the felt weight and brim size of a Stockman.

My hat lost its sweatband years ago but pretty sure it was a Weekender. No idea when it was produced as I bought it used.

Any suggestions? I do have a Fed IV but I don't think it's going to be to the task of outdoor ranch work. I had a Stockman rebashed to a center crease for a while but didn't really care much for the taper of it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    DBA MD DLFAPA1948 and Blare like this.
  18. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

So sorry for your loss! The bushman and cattleman are tougher western felt. Although that being said my Black Stetsons crown was pretty firm compared to the softer crown on my new bushman seen in the avatar. The bushman’s brim was quite stiff. They are advertised as rugged western felt by Akubra. Sorry that I don’t know more about the Fed IV. I read about a week ago that the Indiana Jones model, I think called the adventurer was taking the Fed IV place. It has a 3 inch front and back brim that tapers to 2 3/4 on the sides as I roughly recall. I think the crown was about 5.5 inches and open. Hope that helps.

Blare likes this.
  19. riffraff

riffraff New in Town

Thanks for your comment! I have a Fed IV (carbon grey) as my 'nice/dress' hat. Not sure how well it would hold up as a outside-all-the-time working hat. Maybe okay but who knows? :)

I've written DM to see if they ever offered a blue Adventurer. It would at least help figure out what model I had. I don't recall mine having a fedora-style ribbon but it could just be something else that came off over the years.

I definitely know the Weekender was made in blue because I was able to find a photo of one. Just not sure when they were produced?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  20. DBA MD DLFAPA1948

Best of luck in your search.

Blare likes this.