Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Koechinggendoet

Koechinggendoet Familiar Face

Too sad the size was too small for me,but why topper in the late 50s-60s and many continentals europe use petersham thought?and does it worth it,its cheap thought

Blare likes this.

2. There isn’t anything wrong with petersham. I don’t like it because it’s not what I’m used to and it is found on some cheap modern hats so there’s that association. If it doesn’t bother you then it’s just ribbon with a scalloped edge that most people will never notice.

Blare likes this.
  3. Todd Gantzer

Todd Gantzer New in Town

Hi all!
    Hoping this is the right place to post this question because it’s driving me nuts. Does anyone know what the hat is that Phil Harding wears on Time Team!

Blare likes this.
  4. BotanPhotography

BotanPhotography Familiar Face

Hey guys, I recently received this Eastman Type B5 Shearling helmet in the mail, and I noticed some finishing/stitching issues. I was wondering if I would be within my rights to send it back and get a replacement. I know Eastman jackets are good for finishing etc, but I've never had one of their other articles of clothing.

My issues:
    1. The leather looks very rough and wrinkled, but feels "plasticky", then again I've never had sheepskin before so I may be wrong. Though it looks completely different from the photo on their website, to the point where I would assume it was different leathers.
    2. The back strap is sewn on off center, with numerous loose threads and a missed hole on the bottom right of the bottom square stitch
    3. The rectangle on the right of the back strap is just wonky. The top left corner isn't really a corner, and the bottom half of the right side is double stitched pretty sloppily
    4. Behind each earcup theres clearly silver sharpie markings
    5. The left ear cup has a pretty noticeable dent, and the right ear cup has a massive scratch on it right in the middle.

So I guess my question is: Are these issues just "to be expected" or am I eligible for a return?

IMG-9855.jpg IMG-9854.jpg IMG-9853.jpg IMG-9852.jpg IMG-9857.jpg IMG-9856.jpg

5. Koechinggendoet

Koechinggendoet Familiar Face

Help me please,i don't quite understand the way of measuring with 19,5 × 16 cm
    How to calculate them so we know the size in cm,thankyou

6. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Yeah, but it's perfect for the Annual UPS awards dinner.

7. BotanPhotography

BotanPhotography Familiar Face

Resolved.

I called Eastman and they advised an exchange.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  8. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Looks like a pretty unremarkable wool hat.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  9. Just Daniel

Just Daniel One Too Many

It is pretty generic as jlee says above. As to the type or model someone else might link it to a brand, all I managed to do was find its twitter account. Good luck...maybe the Lounge will get you interested in other vintage hats?

https://twitter.com/thehardinghat?lang=en

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  10. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

This was my "haven't finished my coffee yet" answer.

The shrinkage/distortion and welted brim are pretty sure giveaways of a modern wool felt hat. There are many hats like this from various manufacturers, so without seeing the inside of the hat, it's really impossible to say.

Here are some things that randomly popped up from Village Hat Shop that are in the vicinity of this hat.

https://www.villagehatshop.com/prod...hback-crushable-wool-litefelt-aussie-hat.html
    https://www.villagehatshop.com/prod...7-170303/crushable-wool-felt-outback-hat.html
    https://www.villagehatshop.com/prod...ala-traveler-wool-felt-safari-fedora-hat.html

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021

11. Give it another year and it won’t even be recognizable as a hat. It’s already an odd misshapen lump of felt. I think your pre-coffee answer was on the nose.

Blare likes this.
  12. Can anyone recognize these embossing nomenclatures? The time frame would be late 1950's - early 1960's & likely Texas.

Pic taken during 1960-1963

IMG_3335.PNG

Pic taken 1964

IMG_3336.PNG

Blare likes this.
  13. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

The first one may be "Self Conforming" with the patent number, etc.

17488-84189a6dd89dceedb4e71ba0a56699a0.jpg

14. Emilis

Emilis Familiar Face

It is probably a long shot, but I'll try anyways...

Does anybody know, what this spray can is?

It is used by a hatter, he spray paints the hats with it.

Attached Files:

Blare likes this.
  15. Thanks Jim. I think that's correct & that I can make out Self-.

Zombie_61, Blare and Frunobulax like this.
  16. Catechumen

Catechumen New in Town

What type of clear vinyl material does Akubra use to line the top of their lined hats? I’m looking for a relatively technical description/ trademarked name. I’m thinking of buying it in sheets and would like to use it to line the underside of my leather sweat bands to prevent perspiration from soaking through. Seems like this material has the perfect blend of flexibility and moisture impermeability.

17. 56DeSoto

56DeSoto New in Town

I tried some searches, but couldn't pull up an answer to my hat issue. I have a Stetson Gun Club that is flaking inside the band. Love the hat and I've had it for years, but I'm not thrilled about having little bits of the band sticking to my head when I take it off. Here's a picture of the worst of it, but it's happening all around the band. Anything I can do to stabilize this? stetsonband.jpg

Blare likes this.

18. I’ve had that happed to a couple of my Stetsons. There was a period when they used those horrible sweatbands: comfortable until they started to deteriorate and left flakes on my forehead and in my hair. I just had them replaced rather than attempting to fix them. Good luck.

Blare and 56DeSoto like this.
  19. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

You can buy top quality leather sweats on Etsy.com for $20 and sewing them in yourself is very doable.

Blare likes this.