Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
I have a Panama straw that is just a bit snug due to the sweatband.

The seller told me it well stretch abit after use and fit.

Can anyone verify this? I have been told it is better to have it abit snug anyway to prevent blowing off but hope it will loosen up with use as it is a great hat.

scooter

Practically Family
Thanks Deputy, I'm working on some sort of cabinet to hang them. If I don't enclose them somehow, I'm concerned about them getting dusty AND my cats seem to love my hats. That could lead to a bad situation. You don't want to know th details.

Thanks Deputy, I'm working on some sort of cabinet to hang them. If I don't enclose them somehow, I'm concerned about them getting dusty AND my cats seem to love my hats. That could lead to a bad situation. You don't want to know th details.

Don't have cats so I just have to keep mine up away from the dogs...dust is just a periodic reason to handle them all with a good brushing = one of the simple zen things of hat ownership IMHO....

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I have a Panama straw that is just a bit snug due to the sweatband.

The seller told me it well stretch abit after use and fit.

Can anyone verify this? I have been told it is better to have it abit snug anyway to prevent blowing off but hope it will loosen up with use as it is a great hat.

The degree of snugness for wind protection is up to you. Stretching will almost certainly put the dreaded wave in the brim.

job

One Too Many
It is usually better to have your (straw) hat a little big vs small. When you sweat it up good it may shrink. I bought a hat stretcher and opened up a hat that got too snug on me. It was money well spent. Being that your hat is already snug you may get a wave. Try pushing front to back on the inside and see if it deforms the brim much.

Last edited:

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Thanks Lefty and Job

7 3/8" (which this is) usually fits me perfectly being just loose enough. The sweatband on this Panama is abit suspended out from inside of hat must be the reason.

It was really gusty here in Austin yesterday and the hat stayed on my head for the most part :).

Oh well well see how it does through the spring and summer .... just have to use abit more pomade to prevent hat dents in hair :)

MA

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Help quick if anyone can! How good a hat is a Lock and Co. ?? I am bidding on one and do not know much about them just that made in London old hatter from 1600's.... appreciate advice not sure how old but 2.5" brim

MA

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Help quick if anyone can! How good a hat is a Lock and Co. ?? I am bidding on one and do not know much about them just that made in London old hatter from 1600's.... appreciate advice not sure how old but 2.5" brim

MA

If you search on the forum there are quite a few posts on Lock & Co. I think it has been a while since they manufactured hats, but the store in London seems to still be doing well.

I recently got hold of a Lock hat and I like it a lot. The quality of the felt and the work is fine. I posted a few pics here.

No question that I'd get another if given the chance.

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Thanks alot David!

Being an English Heritage American it will have special meaning to me if nice.

Hope I get it and hope it fits... know UK sizes are abit smaller!

Let ya'll know

MA

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Thanks rlk I have heard the opposite so I am hoping you are right!

I wear a 7 3/8 US this is listed as a 7 3/8 UK so 7 1/2US would work with abit of foam no prob.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
I have a question for custom hat modification. Does stretching a hat using a hat jack or hat stretcher reduce the width of the brim?

I recently purchased a stingy brim pork pie 1/8 smaller than the normal size I wear, and was thinking of stretching it a bit to give it a little characteristic taper (and also so that I could wear it comfortably), but this sounds like a bad idea if stretching the hat with a jack will reduce the (already-small) brim.

Does anyone know whether or not the brim will shrink as a result? Or any ways to avoid this, it it's true?

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Stretching a hat does not increase or reduce brim width, nor does it create/increase taper.

Thanks, Lefty. Good to know. Now, a silly question about the order of operation when stretching hats:

When using a hat stretcher and steam, is it better to first steam the hat, and then insert the hat stretcher and give the stretcher a twist? Or should I insert the hat stretcher, twist it, then steam the hat afterwards?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Steam first, on the outside of that hat only. Then put the stretcher in and open it, but not too far. Let the hat sit overnight.
The next day, with the stretcher still in the hat, steam some more and open the stretcher just a bit more. Repeat until desired result is achieved or the stretcher looks to be pushing too much through the felt.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stretching a hat does not increase or reduce brim width, nor does it create/increase taper.

True on point 1. Point 2, if the base of the crown widens, tapering increases or you just create a ledge at the top of where you have pressed the sweatband into the felt making it wider(bottom bulge).

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I agree with the "ledge", but is the other result you're describing really an increase in taper? The impression I have is that the felt doesn't actually tighten toward the top of the crown (reverting to the cone), the shape is just slightly distorted in that way, just as if I pull on opposite ends of the brim.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Good answers, both of you. I'll keep both in mind when I perform the deed, haha. What I'm hoping for is some very minor taper from the expansion of the band to the size I wear. Two birds with one stone, really.

The reason I asked the second question is I was talking to the hatter in my city about their method for stretching hats, and they said that they steam only AFTER inserting the stretcher. Curious, actually. I'll ask them about the method you mentioned, Lefty, and see what they say.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The reason I asked the second question is I was talking to the hatter in my city about their method for stretching hats, and they said that they steam only AFTER inserting the stretcher. Curious, actually. I'll ask them about the method you mentioned, Lefty, and see what they say.

I put the stretcher in, and then bring it up to the current size, then steam it, then give it a little tension to do the actual stretching.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley