Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ejbhats

A-List Customer
We don't have such a thread, as we have nowhere near that kind of information on most models of hats by any maker. The thread with the most Dobbs info in one place is The Dobbs Diner, which has a lot of hats, ads, and info.

I also ran a quick Google search for the model name you gave and came up with one of those services that allows you to pay to see the past results of auctions (who does that?), which showed an auction result for a 1938 ad for your hat. It's not a range, but it's a good starting point.

Thanks for that info! I gleaned the Dobbs Diner thread and came up with an empty plate. (sorry, bad pun) However that would be about right for the hat I have. It has a liner but the liner has a... hard plastic feel too it, not like an oil cloth or onion skin, from Rogers Peet Co. Should probably post some pics? I finally mastered that!
Thanks Lefty for what you found!
Eric

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Is it possible for a hatter to put a bound edge on a dimensional brim?

I ask because I love the look of the Open Road and its cousins, but prefer a 2 1/2 to 2 5/8" brim, and I really like the dimensional effect found on the Akubra Federation and Stetson Temple. Would it be possible for the shop to cut a modern Akubra like the Campdraft to be dimensional, say 2 5/8" front and back and 2 3/8 on the sides, and then bind it? I wanted that on my Churchill, but the Optimo people said they couldn't, and I settled for 2 1/2" all around.

fmw

One Too Many
I wonder why. I've never seen the machine that does edge binding but I imagine something with a roll of binding material that comes together with thread and is fed by hand by the operator. Perhaps it is more complicated than that.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Ask Lefty, Lefty searches Google for most answers, refers the matter to bradbowers, mayser, rlk, carouselvic, or jtl for others.

I appreciate the sentiment. :)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett told me he could not do it on my dimensional brimmed hat that he made for me.
Well, if both Art and the Optimo people say it, I guess I'll take it as read: bound edge or dimensional brim, not both. I was also thinking of having my Moonstone Fed's brim trimmed, keeping the dimensional aspect, and bound (along with a having a matching narrower ribbon installed), but I guess that won't work.

Petal

New in Town
Hello.
I do hope this works.
I took a few pictures of the Borsalino Alessandria. This hat has never been worn. It did come with a box as I remember but my grandmother pinched the box when it came in the door years ago for sewing notions. The hat was a prize he won at a bingo hall that my grandfather went to every day.
60823055@N06

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60823055@N06/?saved=1

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here you go.
Borsos are tougher to date that other makes. Just as a preliminary guess, based upon the style of the hat, I'll toss out a guess of early-50s. Others might help you get closer.

5540544861_345d9d4d61_z.jpg

5541125608_ba80a2c07d_z.jpg

5540544765_314d514095_z.jpg

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here you go.
Borsos are tougher to date that other makes. Just as a preliminary guess, based upon the style of the hat, I'll toss out a guess of early-50s. Others might help you get closer.

I have no idea, really. But my guess is that hat is early to mid 60s, up to the mid 70s, because that's when stingy brims were worn. I am not aware that they were produced or popular in the 50s.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I have no idea, really. But my guess is that hat is early to mid 60s, up to the mid 70s, because that's when stingy brims were worn. I am not aware that they were produced or popular in the 50s.

Generalizations about style are more often wrong than right.

disney1951.jpg

borsalino1953.jpg

dobbs1955.jpg

mallory1955-1.jpg

stetson19551.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You might well be right with your first estimate. Like I said, I'm just guessing, too. I concluded a bit earlier than you based upon the onion skin liner, but I don't know when Borso was using those. Along with characteristics such as having unreeded sweats long after American hat makers were all using reeds, the Borsos don't make it easy.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You might well be right with your first estimate. Like I said, I'm just guessing, too. I concluded a bit earlier than you based upon the onion skin liner, but I don't know when Borso was using those. Along with characteristics such as having unreeded sweats long after American hat makers were all using reeds, the Borsos don't make it easy.

What I want to see is, something like the Stetson company has in their museum--different hats by decade. Better yet, a book that i could buy that lays them all out. Only that way would I be confident of the movement of styles from decade to decade. You could do that with men's suits and probably ladies' dresses, because those fashions are well documented. At the moment my information is just sketchy. The vintage ads help.

But you know that there had to be a recognizable progression from say one three-year period to the next three-year period, because men would have been fairly style-conscious of what was "last year's hat" or at least too old of a hat. The stylish ones would have kept on top of what was out of style, and refused to wear the old stuff. It's that movement that I do not have sufficient data for to guess out. Calls for much more data.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It depends on your idea of inexpensive. Generally speaking, you're not going to get much for under $100. Check out the threads on Akubra and you'll find what many regard to be the best value in modern production hats.

fmw

One Too Many
Where would one look for an inexpensive fur felt fedora?

On occasion you can find bargains on Ebay for new hats. I've bought two brand new Akubras on Ebay for less than $40 each. That doesn't happen very often. The on line sites will sometimes have clearance sales. I bought a really nice Dobbs fedora from Levines right after Christmas for under $100. The best bet, though, is to call the Hatco store in Texas. They don't always have everything in your size but, when they do, the prices are around half of retail. You need to call them to see what they have. I bought a Stetson Whippet there for under $100.

If your concept of inexpensive is under $150, you can actually get a custom made fur felt hat from Falcon Park or a young hatter in Toledo whose name I've forgotten but who has posted here. It takes a little effort, but you can often get a new hat for around the price of a used one in great condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda