Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Where would one look for an inexpensive fur felt fedora?

I'll add to the Ebay commentary by saying it seems to really depend on your size, too. Some sizes are just so popular that it's unlikely to snatch one up without the bids climbing way past what I'd trust any ebay purchase to be worth without close inspection first. That's of course a very personal policy.

However, if you're a regular oval-shaped head (unlike me), you might have some luck from places such as Millerhats.com, thefedorastore.com, rogerswesternwear.com, or even hatsinthebelfry.com, villagehatshop.com, dadshats.com, etc. BUT it's hard to say how much of what kind of fur is actually present in their "100% fur" felt hats without extensive research.

Or-- since you're from Westlake (I grew up in Thousand Oaks) you might just head up to Baron Hats in the valley and see if they've got some extra hat bodies lying around that they could turn into a hat for you for a little more money. Sometimes their prices seem a little excessive, but I got a great fur felt bowler from them for $200, and once in awhile they have other specials going.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
What was the standard brim size of fedoras in the '30s?

Anyone who gives you a precise answer to this question is wrong. Show me a high-crowned, narrow-brimmed 30s hat, and I'll show you a short-crowned, wide brimmed 30s hat. Styles varied.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A more answerable question is regarding the average brim width for a given decade, but the average probably changes only an 1/8-inch to at most 1/4-inch from decade to decade, so again, it's not very helpful.

Brad

Derek WC

Banned
Thanks Lefty and Brad.

I was asking this question because I have a cowboy hat from the 70's with a somewhat tall crown, and I was going to have the brim cut. The problem is that I don't know how big it should be. It is "3 3/4 right now.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I was asking this question because I have a cowboy hat from the 70's with a somewhat tall crown, and I was going to have the brim cut. The problem is that I don't know how big it should be. It is "3 3/4 right now.

You could have it anywhere between 2 inches and 2 1/2 inches and be within a '30s norm. It's just up to your preference.

Brad

scooter

Practically Family
My only caution would be, you can always cut it again if too big. You can't make it longer if too short. I think longer looks better anyway.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Lefty and Brad.

I have a couple cowboys with BAB's. I've toyed with the idea of brim trim but found that they have a niche they fill. They can be had for such a reasonable price on the bay that I've decided to let them be and am not regretting the decision at all. The crown height can be adjusted with a few creasing tricks and still keep the balance of brim to crown. Your hat, your decision.
Tom D.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Thanks for clearing that up..I was thinkin' something totally different........

Mouser2_tnb.png

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
True 1956 Stetson Open Road?

I just got this today from an ebay seller and they said it was from 1956. Can you guys please help me here cause to me it does not seem that old.
Here is the link to the ebay description:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...nfkn45o%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Something that you don't see in the pics is that it has a Eddie Bauer Seattle USA logo on one side. That was from the 50s?

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Something you also can't see in those ebay pics is the size tag: its black and says 7 3 8. I thought those black size tags were not from the 1950s. I am right, or wrong? Just want to make sure cause I will return the hat if its not from the 1950s.

Something you also can't see in those ebay pics is the size tag: its black and says 7 3 8. I thought those black size tags were not from the 1950s. I am right, or wrong? Just want to make sure cause I will return the hat if its not from the 1950s.

Looks like the seller it thinking the first numbers on the product tag is the date since it starts with 1956....
That liner & size tag you state is not 1950s...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda