Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

glider

A-List Customer
I'm a fan of Stratton hats, I have a few and intend to order a custom from them. Their main business is uniform hats that are exposed to weather everyday so being durable is very important to them. They own the felt company in Tn. that supply's fur felt to a lot of manufactures, needless to say they use good felt. Actually, I think that's a nice-looking hat you have.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Hello folks.
As you can guess I have been away from ‘The Fedora Lounge’ for a long time. I was reading and gathering a lot of information a while back wanting a high quality Fedora. I bought four from Art over a short period of time, selling two that I didn’t think matched my clothing style after they arrived.
Now I am ready to sell the other two but not sure of their value. I have had them for @ ten years but they have been worn very little and it shows. One is Dove Gray and the other in Tobacco, a nice brown color and both in 7 3/8.
I am trying to gather info so if I am in the wrong spot or showing disrespect for this site I do apologize. But is there a interests in Art Fawcett hats today like there was when I bought them?
Thanks in advance for your help.
I came to the Lounge soon after Art retired, I believe. I know how revered his hats are, so my ears pricked up at the mention of his hats being for sale in my size. That said, I’ve just got a couple of custom hats, so the timing’s not great, but I, for one would be interested.

MisplacedHillbilly

One of the Regulars
Seems like I took a gamble and lost. The irony is very thick, and that stetson blawkhawk seems to correct shape.. I still like my hat tho.
If its it's any consolation I think you have a higher quality hat than the Stetson already. But that's no reason not to have both!

Scooterz

Practically Family
Re; Stetson Stratoliner
I know SE stands for Special Edition...but what does B stand for?
Like a Stratoliner B

?
I didn't see anyone answer your question. I believe it is a factory 2nd or a return to Stetson. Most sold at the outlet stores have a hole punched in the sweat band. Some outlet hats have no reorder tag so there is no B designation. Sometimes there is no wording or anything to identify the hat. I am pretty sure a couple of outlet hats that were better with reorder tags had the B designation. Could mean something else but I think it means B-Stock like you see in other products like guitars that are 2nds.

Scooterz

Practically Family
I saw someone get a gift of a a new Stetson Open Road. The person who gave the hat stated something to the effect that if a hat store does not have your size in stock it will be 2023 before they can order it in. That might explain the very low number of fur felt hats at the outlet store when I was there last. Supply chain issues maybe? Anyone heard anything like that about Stetson?

I saw someone get a gift of a a new Stetson Open Road. The person who gave the hat stated something to the effect that if a hat store does not have your size in stock it will be 2023 before they can order it in. That might explain the very low number of fur felt hats at the outlet store when I was there last. Supply chain issues maybe? Anyone heard anything like that about Stetson?

Stetson's production occurs in the building behind the outlet store, and their felt production is just a couple of hours away. If they're having a supply chain issue, it's because Jerome went out back for a smoke. :p

In all seriousness, I suppose there could be a raw materials issue, but that sounds unlikely. I've heard the fedora selection is better at the St. Joseph Outlet location, but there were always plenty of Fedoras when I would go to Garland. I haven't been there since 2016 though.

Hi all! I know it's common practice to put a newly acquired used hat in the freezer to make sure to put an end to any creepy crawlies that might have invaded it. My question is, for how long? This morning I got my first Borsalino, allegedly a 1980s model stingy brim, but there's no liner so I obviously want to make sure there won't be any problems. Thanks!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hi all! I know it's common practice to put a newly acquired used hat in the freezer to make sure to put an end to any creepy crawlies that might have invaded it. My question is, for how long? This morning I got my first Borsalino, allegedly a 1980s model stingy brim, but there's no liner so I obviously want to make sure there won't be any problems. Thanks!

I don't think that it's a common practice at all. How would any "creepy crawlies" have invaded a used/vintage hat more than a bespoke one?
If they have, the damage would have shown up in photos or on arrival
Your Borsalino sounds interesting, Zombie_61. Please post photos.

Snowman

Practically Family
I’m not sure how effective or necessary it is, but I always put my newly acquired used hats in the freezer in a plastic bag for 48 hours. The purpose (at least from what I have read, and it does make some sense) is to kill any moth larvae/eggs that may be on the felt. I’m sure it can’t hurt any. I just took one out 10 minutes ago. :)

I was sending a used hat with moth damage to VS to be worked on. Art asked me to put it in the freezer for 48-hours before I mailed it as he didn’t want the possibility of moth larvae in his shop. Ever since that 48-hours has been my standard.

I’m inconsistent with freezing hats. Often I’m too excited and just put the on and start wearing them. Occasionally, I’ll freeze them, and always freeze them if I suspect any active moth activity.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
It does work. If nothing else it gives a tremendous amount of peace of mind.
I leave mine 48-72 hrs min or longer, until i need room for ice cream.
B

I've heard the fedora selection is better at the St. Joseph Outlet location,
That's not accurate information. St. Joseph Outlet has always been stocked mostly with Western straws. I'm not sure if Hatco still owns the bldg & leases out all but one small corner, or whether they sold the bldg & lease back one small corner. About 2019 they downsized even further from what they had. They have a few Western felts but most are Charlie One Horse. See the pics.

IMG_8479.JPG

Between these two pics you pretty much see the entire store. Maybe 750 sq ft.
IMG_8478.JPG

IMG_8477.JPG

glider

A-List Customer
I have always cleaned and inspected a used hat. Steamed and shaped several also but that's it, never had a problem. I don't think it will hurt anything, probably not a bad idea I just don't think it's necessary and I don't have room in the freezer anyway. Besides that, I don't think my wife would go along with a hat in the freezer!!

M Brown

A-List Customer
I didn't see anyone answer your question. I believe it is a factory 2nd or a return to Stetson. Most sold at the outlet stores have a hole punched in the sweat band. Some outlet hats have no reorder tag so there is no B designation. Sometimes there is no wording or anything to identify the hat. I am pretty sure a couple of outlet hats that were better with reorder tags had the B designation. Could mean something else but I think it means B-Stock like you see in other products like guitars that are 2nds.

I don't think that's the case with the Stratoliner. They have several different options in that model. I suspect it represents 'blocked'. But who knows? I'll ask Aubrey next time I'm at the outlet store.

And, re: the outlet store questions in a couple of posts...we were at the Garland store just last week. It's only 30 miles from us so I stop by there a few times a year. The inventory changes almost weekly as they get new supply. I think it's Tue...might be Thursday.
Right now, they have quite a good selection of fur felts, IF you're looking for black. Other colors are in low supply right now but not due to supply chain...more from PBR and holidays from what I was told while there.
My wife found the hat she's been wanting for quite a while. A brown fur felt in size 6 5/8 that she could shape to her liking. And Aubrey did a great job of restyling it to her preference. In the fedora section, which had approx 200 fedoras in all sizes and styles, I found a sage colored Stratoliner in my size. But I already have a Bluegrass Campdraft, which is similar, so I left it for someone else to discover.

My niece was there last Spring and left with a beautiful Dun colored El Patron at about half the retail store price.

That's not accurate information. St. Joseph Outlet has always been stocked mostly with Western straws. I'm not sure if Hatco still owns the bldg & leases out all but one small corner, or whether they sold the bldg & lease back one small corner. About 2019 they downsized even further from what they had. They have a few Western felts but most are Charlie One Horse. See the pics.

View attachment 388430

Between these two pics you pretty much see the entire store. Maybe 750 sq ft.
View attachment 388429

View attachment 388428

And here if anybody would have asked, I would have told them you were the one that relayed the info. I probably remembered it bass-ackwards from how you said it. So much for "mind like a steel trap."

I'll just be over here waiting for my pudding ration...

And here if anybody would have asked, I would have told them you were the one that relayed the info. I probably remembered it bass-ackwards from how you said it. So much for "mind like a steel trap."

I'll just be over here waiting for my pudding ration...
Wasn't me & I remember the post making such claim. A couple yrs ago just before the pandemic I saw a stack of 8-10 Stetson Roadsters there that had been rejected for quality issues by AMAZON! First time I had seen a Roadster. Lots of bling from Montana Silversmith. A couple of Stetson El Presidente's on display in a glass case.

I went to the auction in about 2012. Neon signs & fixtures, posters & ephemera, etc.

I don't think that's the case with the Stratoliner. They have several different options in that model. I suspect it represents 'blocked'. But who knows? I'll ask Aubrey next time I'm at the outlet store.

And, re: the outlet store questions in a couple of posts...we were at the Garland store just last week. It's only 30 miles from us so I stop by there a few times a year. The inventory changes almost weekly as they get new supply. I think it's Tue...might be Thursday.
Right now, they have quite a good selection of fur felts, IF you're looking for black. Other colors are in low supply right now but not due to supply chain...more from PBR and holidays from what I was told while there.
My wife found the hat she's been wanting for quite a while. A brown fur felt in size 6 5/8 that she could shape to her liking. And Aubrey did a great job of restyling it to her preference. In the fedora section, which had approx 200 fedoras in all sizes and styles, I found a sage colored Stratoliner in my size. But I already have a Bluegrass Campdraft, which is similar, so I left it for someone else to discover.

My niece was there last Spring and left with a beautiful Dun colored El Patron at about half the retail store price.

It’s a shame that @Monavillecowboy doesn't stop by as often as he used to. He could tell us what the “B” designation meant. I know it’s not a blemish or second quality hat. Your thinking that it could reference a pre-blocked hat makes sense. We struggle with the meaning today; can you imagine what some hat collector in 80 years is going to go through to try to find out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21