Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. jviss

jviss Familiar Face

Since you asked, I don't think it looks very good they way you have it. It recommend you sell it, and get the hat you really want. Life is too short to go around with a hat you're not 100% in to.

I think it looks kind of like a caricature of a hat, than an every day hat. The creases are too deep, etc.

Best,

jv

2. You can contact any of the bartenders. A lot of the work is done on a volunteer basis so we mostly live with the small issues. This site is not a big moneymaker…it’s more a labor of love so we take what they have provided and are grateful. Not to say they might not appreciate feedback or suggestions. Give it a try.

You can scroll to the bottom of the page and use the Contact Us feature.

Zombie_61, Blare and jviss like this.
  3. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Looks really nice David.

4. Mighty44

Mighty44 One of the Regulars

Thanks guys—appreciate the input!

Blare likes this.
  5. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Looks good to me. The side dent will be more or less predominant in different light. I would just wear it and let them develop naturally. I find it’s easier to shape a hat after going for a walk in the rain. But that’s just me.
    wear it in good health
    Johnny

Blare and Zombie_61 like this.
  6. Mighty44

Mighty44 One of the Regulars

Thanks Johnny!

Blare and Zombie_61 like this.
  7. Curious: does anyone here have a rider on their homeowner’s insurance to cover their hats? Money won’t replace them, but I’d like to have them completely covered, and I wonder what insurance companies will do if you made a claim of $40,000 for hats. I have a rider for my firearms but only recently considered adding one for my hats. Do any of you have such a rider?

8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

No, I don't. I have found that the price is too much usually for riders. I looked into it for my bike collection and it just did not make economic sense. I have replacement insurance on all the 'things' inside the house but I have never bothered looking into hat coverage. I think it should unless like bicycles they are only covered if you have the rider. Generally it does not cover things that are often stolen....like bikes, jewelry etc. My modest art work collection which is worth more than my hats is covered under the general policy. I should check.

9. glider

glider A-List Customer

Never crossed my mind. I have a rider on jewelry and firearms but that's it. I may have one on tools now that I think about it, I need to get my policy out I guess, thanks for bringing it up.

deadlyhandsome and Blare like this.
  10. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

Get a couple of big safes like Doc.

Blare, deadlyhandsome and Steve1857 like this.
  11. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

If only we had as much room :)

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  12. Royce Bloom

Royce Bloom New in Town

What’s the preferred method of selling a hat and making it available to Lounge members preferentially? Put it on ebay and immediately make a for sale post here with the link?

Blare likes this.
  13. @Royce Bloom That’s exactly my preferred way: list in on eBay and the on TFL classifieds with a link. I often offer discounted pricing to members if they buy outside of eBay.

Royce Bloom and Blare like this.
  14. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes Call Me a Cab

Anybody familiar with this sweatband crest? Any information would be helpful.

01CB039F-B7C5-4E4B-9D4A-AE928C86B131.jpeg

Steve1857, Blare, BobHufford and 2 others like this.
  15. If only I had as much money.

Steve1857, Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  16. jviss

jviss Familiar Face

How can one rescue a feather? Mine, on my most recent acquisition, looks 'frazzled.' Is there anything that can be done?

2022-01-17 18.17.17.jpg

Thank you!

Blare likes this.
  17. jviss

jviss Familiar Face

Another question!

I have an inexpensive straw hat, a Panama-style made by Conner, a Conner Jensen Panama Straw Hat. I'm putting a new sweat band in it as I didn't care for the elastic cloth band it came with. But, the brim is rather flat and lacking of character.

Is there a way to make a straw hat's brim more "snappy," as on a fur felt Fedora? I have a steam source. Would like some opinions before I start experimenting.

Thanks!

Blare likes this.

18. You really need a brim flange. I use my flanges much more than my blocks.

jviss, Blare and belfastboy like this.

19. Most of us pluck our hats and wear them sans feathers. I think maybe three of hats still have their feathers. I wonder if a standard soft bristle hat brush would help your feather?

Blare likes this.
  20. glider

glider A-List Customer

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of your flanges, and where do you get them. I don't have any, but I think it would be really handy.

Zombie_61, deadlyhandsome and Blare like this.