Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

jviss

Familiar Face
Hello all—

I received this custom hat which is great except for one curveball—where I’d asked for a 5 1/2 open crown it comes in at 6 1/4. I’ve been working and reworking the bash to try and get it where I want it but since I like a relatively low profile —around 4 1/4 at the pinch—there is a thick double wall of felt at the pinch which makes it very hard to get that nice deep thumbprint pinch on either side. I’ve really given it a lot of steam and a lot of work and you can see below where it stands now. Not terrible—kind of a ship’s prow that does catch some shadow, but not quite what I’d hoped for. Any advice on how to get a deeper pinch? Should I soak it with water? Roll up the inner wall a bit so it crests further back — possibly opening up some room to push in further? Or does it look good enough and I should just relax and enjoy it? I might be a little too deep in the weeds here. :confused: Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! David

View attachment 394449 View attachment 394450View attachment 394451 View attachment 394452
Since you asked, I don't think it looks very good they way you have it. It recommend you sell it, and get the hat you really want. Life is too short to go around with a hat you're not 100% in to.

I think it looks kind of like a caricature of a hat, than an every day hat. The creases are too deep, etc.

Best,

jv

Is there a thread or a forum for posting feedback on the site? I've encountered a few clumsy aspects of this site I'd like to feed back to the web designers/programmers.

Thanks,

jv

You can contact any of the bartenders. A lot of the work is done on a volunteer basis so we mostly live with the small issues. This site is not a big moneymaker…it’s more a labor of love so we take what they have provided and are grateful. Not to say they might not appreciate feedback or suggestions. Give it a try.

You can scroll to the bottom of the page and use the Contact Us feature.

Blare

I'll Lock Up
Hello all—

I received this custom hat which is great except for one curveball—where I’d asked for a 5 1/2 open crown it comes in at 6 1/4. I’ve been working and reworking the bash to try and get it where I want it but since I like a relatively low profile —around 4 1/4 at the pinch—there is a thick double wall of felt at the pinch which makes it very hard to get that nice deep thumbprint pinch on either side. I’ve really given it a lot of steam and a lot of work and you can see below where it stands now. Not terrible—kind of a ship’s prow that does catch some shadow, but not quite what I’d hoped for. Any advice on how to get a deeper pinch? Should I soak it with water? Roll up the inner wall a bit so it crests further back — possibly opening up some room to push in further? Or does it look good enough and I should just relax and enjoy it? I might be a little too deep in the weeds here. :confused: Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! David

View attachment 394449 View attachment 394450View attachment 394451 View attachment 394452
Looks really nice David.

Mighty44

A-List Customer
Thanks guys—appreciate the input!

I think the hat looks good. From the pictures it appears the felt is fairly thick so regardless it may be impossible to get those deep pinches that you can get on the thinner felts vintage hats. I have a beaver felt that I have been playing with....trying to discover how much pouncing is too much pouncing. I have taken a ton off, it has a wonderful soft hand but the felt is still thick enough (without even the deep bash) to prohibit those soft thumbprint pinches.

Looks really nice David.

johnnycanuck

Call Me a Cab
Hello all—

Looks good to me. The side dent will be more or less predominant in different light. I would just wear it and let them develop naturally. I find it’s easier to shape a hat after going for a walk in the rain. But that’s just me.
wear it in good health
Johnny

Curious: does anyone here have a rider on their homeowner’s insurance to cover their hats? Money won’t replace them, but I’d like to have them completely covered, and I wonder what insurance companies will do if you made a claim of $40,000 for hats. I have a rider for my firearms but only recently considered adding one for my hats. Do any of you have such a rider?

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
Curious: does anyone here have a rider on their homeowner’s insurance to cover their hats? Money won’t replace them, but I’d like to have them completely covered, and I wonder what insurance companies will do if you made a claim of $40,000 for hats. I have a rider for my firearms but only recently considered adding one for my hats. Do any of you have such a rider?
No, I don't. I have found that the price is too much usually for riders. I looked into it for my bike collection and it just did not make economic sense. I have replacement insurance on all the 'things' inside the house but I have never bothered looking into hat coverage. I think it should unless like bicycles they are only covered if you have the rider. Generally it does not cover things that are often stolen....like bikes, jewelry etc. My modest art work collection which is worth more than my hats is covered under the general policy. I should check.

glider

A-List Customer
Never crossed my mind. I have a rider on jewelry and firearms but that's it. I may have one on tools now that I think about it, I need to get my policy out I guess, thanks for bringing it up.

Royce Bloom

New in Town
What’s the preferred method of selling a hat and making it available to Lounge members preferentially? Put it on ebay and immediately make a for sale post here with the link?

Bill Hughes

Call Me a Cab
Anybody familiar with this sweatband crest? Any information would be helpful.

01CB039F-B7C5-4E4B-9D4A-AE928C86B131.jpeg

jviss

Familiar Face
Another question!

I have an inexpensive straw hat, a Panama-style made by Conner, a Conner Jensen Panama Straw Hat. I'm putting a new sweat band in it as I didn't care for the elastic cloth band it came with. But, the brim is rather flat and lacking of character.

Is there a way to make a straw hat's brim more "snappy," as on a fur felt Fedora? I have a steam source. Would like some opinions before I start experimenting.

Thanks!

Another question!

I have an inexpensive straw hat, a Panama-style made by Conner, a Conner Jensen Panama Straw Hat. I'm putting a new sweat band in it as I didn't care for the elastic cloth band it came with. But, the brim is rather flat and lacking of character.

Is there a way to make a straw hat's brim more "snappy," as on a fur felt Fedora? I have a steam source. Would like some opinions before I start experimenting.

Thanks!

You really need a brim flange. I use my flanges much more than my blocks.