Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Christoball

Christoball New in Town

I wonder how the party turned out.

Blare, Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  2. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Christmas 2021 005.JPG
    Not so much a question as your opinion. This fabric will become a new shirt in due course. A good matching hat might be a black fedora.
    shirt pin up silhouette.jpg
    A ready made shirt came up following a search, it might give you a better idea.
    cap1.jpg
    Tina suggested that a camouflage cap might fit the bill, but a cap wouldn't be my first choice. Do you think she's right?
    By the way, that ready made shirt, I'll give you a link, but unless you've got $225:00, (£167:00) give it a miss. I couldn't believe the price. Camouflage pin up print.

Blare likes this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I would go with a dark moss/dark forest fedora, narrow ribbon or even a narrow 7/8" leather band. Stick with the casual outdoorsy theme.

4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Those dark green hues that you mention have been so difficult to source owing to my hat size. I'm a seven & three quarters, or sixty two cm in metric. But inspired by your suggestion I found a milliner. Not cheap at a hundred & forty-five pounds, but certainly worth considering. Many thanks. It's by Agnoulita Hats:
    Agnoulita Hats.jpg

Blare, Zombie_61, BobHufford and 2 others like this.
  5. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

Maybe a Camoliner.
    [​IMG]

6. I own/owned at least a dozen Agnoulita hats. They make a good hat and the color options are vast. They aren’t top tier, but neither are his prices. I’ve been thinking about an Agnoulita in olive with the antelope/suede finish for quite some time…might have to actually scratch that itch at some point.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/agnoulita-hats.93020/

Blare likes this.
  7. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

That is amazing, so unususal, I love it.
    Agnoulita Hats is a name that I have heard of previously, but having found Esther, a trading trust is established. It's the same with my suits and shoes, when I find an artisan who is not only good, but will go that extra mile, I tend to stay with them.
    Reading your early posts about your disappointment of Agnoulita's lack of communication reminded me of the frustration that I experienced with former Lounger SimonC, proprietor of SJC. The shoes that I bought were second to none, but the six month wait and no communication has put me off buying from SJC. Customer service is just as important as the product, I would say.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Samson25, Blare, Zombie_61 and 4 others like this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, but some hatters that use Winchester give their own names to the colours just to confuse the issue. But if you look at their swatches the actual colour is still the same just different names are given. To me it is an issue of zero competition so they are not forced to innovate and entice the market with new colours each year. Optimo comes out with a few new FEPSA colours each year but Winchester has been offering the same for a very long time. Art at VS at least had enough volume to justify ordering large enough quantities to get Winchester to develop proprietary colours for him.

9. As others have said, this is not a common practice for Lounge members, and is actively frowned upon by some. Me, I like the look of a good "beater" hat with character, but I'm not about to take a hat I've spent good money on and intentionally beat it to death just so I can look even more like a moron with an old hat. My suggestion to anyone who wants to own and wear an old hat is to buy a new hat and wear it for 30-40 years.

Samson25, Woodtroll, Rumad and 4 others like this.
  10. ProfCharles

ProfCharles New in Town

Hey Y’all,

Is there anywhere I can get an affordable fur felt fedora in black cherry color without waiting half a year?

Blare likes this.

11. Are you looking for Winchester’s new version that is more black or the years ago discontinued version that’s more cherry?

You can always see if Agnoulita has a color that’s close…should arrive in about 45 days.

Blare likes this.
  12. ProfCharles

ProfCharles New in Town

I would say more black than cherry, but not something that could easily be confused as black.

Zombie_61 and Blare like this.
  13. Robieman

Robieman A-List Customer

Try Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters in Covington Tn. Website buckaroohatters.com. He also has a Facebook page. He is only open on weekends, but you can email him and ask questions. If he had the color in stock, you’d get it in a few weeks.

Zombie_61, Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  14. SaintOne

SaintOne New in Town

Hello there,

New to hats and this website with a question. I bought this hat at a thrift store for 50 cents because I really liked it and suits me. it seems to be an older (50s 60s) panama hat from J. Pull in Amsterdam

It is in really rough shape. (yellowing, stains out of shape) any tips on how I can restore or clean it would be appreciated.
    If it is to far gone and not fix or cleanable well that's an answer as well never hurts to ask,

thanks in advance for any reaction.

20220101_153921.jpg
    20220101_125822.jpg 20220101_125833.jpg 20220101_125908.jpg 20220101_125922.jpg 20220101_125930.jpg 20220101_125937.jpg pul.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Snowman, steur, Rmccamey and 7 others like this.
  15. dmoser1978

dmoser1978 New in Town

Thanks for the responses, confirms my suspicions.

Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  16. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Can you tell if the hat is dried out or still supple. If supple that’s a really good sign. If you want to put an investment in it you can always send it off to an outfit like Northwest hats that has some experience servicing Panama hats. If you were thinking of doing a service at home just let us know. Or maybe pier the question over on the Panama hat thread. Lots of knowledgeable people over there.
    Johnny

Steve1857, belfastboy, Blare and 2 others like this.
  17. jviss

jviss Familiar Face

What are the BEST sizing strips, or otherwise best way to pad out a sweat, or make a fur felt hat a little snugger?

I bought a beautiful, like-new condition Dobbs Fedora on eBay, and it arrived today. It has a 7 1/8 tag on the swweat. Immediately upon putting it on I thought it was bit big. I turned out the sweat and found a very nicely home-made pad. Then, I found the internal data tag (don't know what this tag is called, it's like the manufacturing tag), and it indeed says 7 1/8. The other tag one would expect to find inside the sweat is missing, though remnants of the glue and paper remain.

Initially I thought it was a 7 1/4 that had been padded out, but the internal label confirms 7 1/8.

Do Dobbs run big?

All of that said, what's the BEST way to make it fit? Best sizing strips? Or, shorten the sweat?

Noobie inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

jv

[​IMG]

18. glider

glider A-List Customer

Use strips of felt or leather behind the sweat, I prefer strips. If there is a Tandy Leather store close, you can get the leather strips pretty cheap already cut.

johnnycanuck, Blare and belfastboy like this.
  19. jviss

jviss Familiar Face

Thanks, Glider. I probably have some suitable leather on hand. How about cork? I've seen self-adhesive cork sizing strips. I have some cork sheets and double-sided tape.

johnnycanuck and Blare like this.
  20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Blare likes this.