Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
still trying to decide if I should go ahead and get it restored or consider it a lost cause....missing liner, needs sweat, minor moth damage and crown ribbon not original (needs replaced).

Not sure this hat had a full liner. Looks like the remnants of the brand label (liner tip) that an unlined hat would have. The ribbon might need replacing (hard to tell from the pic), but these "pug" type ribbons were used in the timeframe of this hat ('40s - '50s) and the two-tone is cool! (see the pic above of my Resistol "Lounger" for a similar ribbon).

Mighty44

One Too Many
I’m curious if anyone has any thoughts about this Stetson on eBay now. It looks to me like it has been restored with a new liner and a new binding covering the original smaller binding. Any thoughts? I couldn’t upload a photo for some reason but there is a link below.

Thanks,

David

Looks as if someone may have deopped a liner in it or it faded out but everything else about the hat looks legit. The sweat and 3X model are. You may not have seen a lot of fedoras with such a wide bound brim but they're out there. I saw no evidence of what you suggest; did I miss it?

Mighty44

One Too Many
It looks to me like there is a ridge in the binding—as if the original is still under there. I could just be reading things into the shadows—and also the faded liner made me wonder. I’ve never seen one totally blank like that. Thanks!
Looks as if someone may have deopped a liner in it or it faded out but everything else about the hat looks legit. The sweat and 3X model are. You may not have seen a lot of fedoras with such a wide bound brim but they're out there. I saw no evidence of what you suggest; did I miss it?

It looks to me like there is a ridge in the binding—as if the original is still under there. I could just be reading things into the shadows—and also the faded liner made me wonder. I’ve never seen one totally blank like that. Thanks!

I see what you mean. The lump/ridge running the edge of the brim bows make me wonder. There have been cases when a Cavanagh (felted) edge has been bound. Good looking hat in any case.

What are you seeing that I don't? Looks OK to me. (shrug)

Probably nothing. Could be shadows or a ripple in the binding.

B992B3DD-0502-4ED9-9B63-33719E3E8194.jpeg

I’m curious if anyone has any thoughts about this Stetson on eBay now. It looks to me like it has been restored with a new liner and a new binding covering the original smaller binding. Any thoughts? I couldn’t upload a photo for some reason but there is a link below.

Thanks,

David

No matter the case this is an absolutely beautiful hat!

Brent‘s thoughts of binding over a Cavanagh edge is possible. It does appear to have a raised edge in the middle… though it could just be lighting. If it does have a selv-edge under there you are prob looking at something along the lines of a Stetsonian.

as far as the sweat stitching…. I have seen some similar to this. Not necessarily on Stetson. It’s almost like bon-ton ivey for felt. if this band wasn’t factory…. It was certainly done with great know how… skill.. and machinery

all around just a wonderful… beautiful hat.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Thanks,

David

The sweatband stitching appears to me to be the stitch used on reedless hats. Not sure i see a reed on this one which is odd.
But...very nice hat.
B

What are you seeing that I don't? Looks OK to me. (shrug)

What he said and I'm just shaking my head. And nothing unusual about the sweat, we just don't see a lot of them around here. I have a Penney's Marathon and this Stetson, both with that type sweat. Very comfortable. Sort of like a cloth reed sewn to the hat and the leather sweat suspended from it. Perhaps it was an option at some point. Apparently Mr. Carter was a fan.
IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_E1801.JPG

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks,

David

I also have been watching this hat. It's not "deadstock condition" no matter what. If I wanted it I'd pay the 100 for it without a thought but I wouldn't go much higher. But, I would understand it's not in the shape that it's being represented as. BTW I'm not gonna be bidding on it.

Probably nothing. Could be shadows or a ripple in the binding.

View attachment 407644

Yeah, I see the ridge, but I was replying to the sweatband comments.

What he said and I'm just shaking my head. And nothing unusual about the sweat, we just don't see a lot of them around here. I have a Penney's Marathon and this Stetson, both with that type sweat. Very comfortable. Sort of like a cloth reed sewn to the hat and the leather sweat suspended from it. Perhaps it was an option at some point. Apparently Mr. Carter was a fan.
View attachment 407662 View attachment 407663

There is an extrra row of stitching between the stitching on the sweat that looks like it attaches the sweat to the felt. I don't have a great number of vintage but have never seen this method of attaching a sweat.

I have some hats like that, as well, and was edumacated on it by Alan about a year ago. I use to think these were reedless sweatbands, but they're referred to as cloth sweats. I'm curious whether this represents a style that had a "heyday" then was abandoned for whatever reason, but they seem to be uncommon.

If this hat was my size I'd be on it like pudding at the retirement home.

Thanks,

David

IMG_9181.jpg

The reed is leather/rawhide, meant to be flexible & comfortable, more like a reedless sweat. It does harden up with age.

A couple of mine.

IMG_7412.jpg

IMG_7390.jpg

IMG_7391.jpg

JakeHacker

New in Town
Question from new member about fedoras.
Please, I am new to this forum and to the experience of hat culture and appreciation.
I have a developing interest in fedoras, however I am open to knowledge about hats in general and about other types/styles.
Will anyone suggest web sites, threads, discussion groups, etc to expand my knowledge, experience, and appreciation.
Thank you for your time, help, and consideration.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner