Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apollo

Familiar Face
Here are the photos, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4650.jpg
    IMG_4650.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4651.jpg
    IMG_4651.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 32
If it is toxicity you are concerned about....lead is only toxic if ingested or breathed. If concerned wear gloves or wash hands before eating......which is what I do anyway

Even ingested it doesn’t normally result in absorption. I’ve eaten a lot of lead shot in game animals over the years, I’ve handled lead fishing weights, I’ve cast lead bullets after melting lead and alloys with lead. I’ve worked at indoor shooting ranges and taught shooting for decades. My employer required blood tests for lead and other heavy metals and I always came back clean. I don’t recommend chewing on lead paint, drinking from lead pipes, or grating oxidized lead over your pasta, but under normal circumstances it’s not very dangerous. Washing hands and good ventilation (when shooting or melting lead) are good ideas.

Even ingested it doesn’t normally result in absorption. I’ve eaten a lot of lead shot in game animals over the years, I’ve handled lead fishing weights, I’ve cast lead bullets after melting lead and alloys with lead. I’ve worked at indoor shooting ranges and taught shooting for decades. My employer required blood tests for lead and other heavy metals and I always came back clean. I don’t recommend chewing on lead paint, drinking from lead pipes, or grating oxidized lead over your pasta, but under normal circumstances it’s not very dangerous. Washing hands and good ventilation (when shooting or melting lead) are good ideas.

Yes, the government regulations are overkill but I earned good money testing for lead paint in hazmat surveys for buildings slated to be demolished. If, god forbid, I found lead paint the cost to demo just skyrocketed

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
What’s the best product to refinish an old hat block?
My concern is any potential staining on a wet, particularly white or light colored, hats coming from an old unfinished block (washed and cleaned).
I’m not speaking of filling cracks or voids but only sealing the surface to insure there is no potential for bleeding of the block onto liner or felt.
Any experiences would be appreciated.
Be well and safe.
Bowen

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
What’s the best product to refinish an old hat block?
My concern is any potential staining on a wet, particularly white or light colored, hats coming from an old unfinished block (washed and cleaned).
I’m not speaking of filling cracks or voids but only sealing the surface to insure there is no potential for bleeding of the block onto liner or felt.
Any experiences would be appreciated.
Be well and safe.
Bowen
No direct experience. I've updated a few old pieces of furniture with Tru Oil and it cures to a very hard finish.

Just wondering, what is the Lounge consensus (if there is one) regarding Toyo Straw for casual, relatively inexpensive straw hats?

Edit: Never mind, I'll find out for myself. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto