Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
Looking for a high quality stratoliner like fedora. Optimo has a new one called the Austin. Northwest hatter has the flying cloud. Anybody have either?

A lot depends on what you like. The Optimos that I’ve seen and owned all have more taper than I like and a more gently rounded top. They are also made from FEPSA felt that is different from Northwest who usually uses Winchester and some Tonak felt.

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
The Austin has more taper than my modern Premiere Strat for sure, but it does look a bit less tapered than the standard Optimo fedora. If an Optimo is in your budget, I doubt you'll regret it. At the same time, Northwest is very well regarded and is considerably less for 100% beaver (Winchester body).
Yes, my thought was if money is not an issue go for the Optimo. But if you are looking for value for your money Northwest makes top level hats for about 1/3 the cost of an Optimo.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Yes, my thought was if money is not an issue go for the Optimo. But if you are looking for value for your money Northwest makes top level hats for about 1/3 the cost of an Optimo.

For many of us here, hats from Mike Miller, aka Northwest hats, is like the old chip commercial (as I recall), "You can't have just one"!

20211224_163257.jpg 20200323_085438.jpg

Hats from Wolfbrae @belfastboy are great hats at a great value as well.

20210419_092202.jpg

JackHammer

New in Town
Thanks so much for the input gentlemen. i was going to buy a premier stratoliner. but they discontinued them. im a 7 3/8. will prolly buy a northwest hats flying cloud

Dr.John

New in Town
Folks,
I am needing a recommendation. I inherited a 1948 Borsalino western fedora that needs the leather sweatband replaced. It has a lot of sentimental value to me; so, I am looking for someone who will do a great job and is trustworthy. Please DM me with recommendations.

Thank you in advance.
JM

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
Folks,
I am needing a recommendation. I inherited a 1948 Borsalino western fedora that needs the leather sweatband replaced. It has a lot of sentimental value to me; so, I am looking for someone who will do a great job and is trustworthy. Please DM me with recommendations.

Thank you in advance.
JM
Where are you located? If we can direct you to a hatter/hat shop near you it will save you $$ on the postage.

https://www.tlantehat.com/
Best looking and most elaborate hat-related scam site ever? 100X hats for 90eu?

Since the “X” count doesn’t have a meaning and changes over time and from one maker to the next the “100X” part doesn’t bother me. However, they use stock photos of other brands of hats, and from what I’ve seen elsewhere the hats that arrive look nothing like the photos.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Folks,

Thank you in advance.
JM
I’d love to see a 1948 Borsalino western hat and learn your dating methods.

Snowman

Practically Family
Folks,

Thank you in advance.
JM
Where are you located? If we can direct you to a hatter/hat shop near you it will save you $$ on the postage.
Any recommendations for eastern North Carolina? I have also been contemplating what to do with a sweatband (salvageable, I think) that needs to be reattached. Postage to Canada is prohibitive or I would send it to @belfastboy

Any recommendations for eastern North Carolina? I have also been contemplating what to do with a sweatband (salvageable, I think) that needs to be reattached. Postage to Canada is prohibitive or I would send it to @belfastboy

@belfastboy has a shipping address in Washington state: shipping should be about $13 each way if you can fit it into a box that is 18X16X6 inches or less (most all hats other than the largest westerns will easily fit).

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
I have a 2021 Stetson Catera 5X (100% fur felt - I presume rabbit). It is a 7 5/8 regular oval. (My "Crash Test" Catera that has been posted in the Stetson Gun Club Catera thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-gun-club-catera.25961/post-2913530 ). The open crown is about 5 1/2" tall and the brim is 3 1/4"

The felt is actually pretty doggone good. The blocked shape (tapered), sweatband and size are pretty doggone bad. I don't know how I managed to mis-measure my head at the time I got this hat, but my actual head size is 7 3/8 long oval.

I want to have this hat rebuilt/reblocked to be a 7 3/8 long oval, straight block (no taper), at least a 6" open crown and at least 3" of brim (if not more).

Is it possible to downsize this hat by two sizes; change a tapered crown to straight; and have enough felt to do all that and heighten the crown without losing much brim?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apekop