Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr.John

New in Town
Folks,
I am needing a recommendation. I inherited a 1948 Borsalino western fedora that needs the leather sweatband replaced. It has a lot of sentimental value to me; so, I am looking for someone who will do a great job and is trustworthy. Please DM me with recommendations.

Thank you in advance.
JM

Folks,
I am needing a recommendation. I inherited a 1948 Borsalino western fedora that needs the leather sweatband replaced. It has a lot of sentimental value to me; so, I am looking for someone who will do a great job and is trustworthy. Please DM me with recommendations.

Thank you in advance.
JM
Where are you located? If we can direct you to a hatter/hat shop near you it will save you $$ on the postage.

https://www.tlantehat.com/
Best looking and most elaborate hat-related scam site ever? 100X hats for 90eu?

Since the “X” count doesn’t have a meaning and changes over time and from one maker to the next the “100X” part doesn’t bother me. However, they use stock photos of other brands of hats, and from what I’ve seen elsewhere the hats that arrive look nothing like the photos.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Folks,

Thank you in advance.
JM
I’d love to see a 1948 Borsalino western hat and learn your dating methods.

Snowman

Practically Family
Folks,

Thank you in advance.
JM
Where are you located? If we can direct you to a hatter/hat shop near you it will save you $$ on the postage.
Any recommendations for eastern North Carolina? I have also been contemplating what to do with a sweatband (salvageable, I think) that needs to be reattached. Postage to Canada is prohibitive or I would send it to @belfastboy

Any recommendations for eastern North Carolina? I have also been contemplating what to do with a sweatband (salvageable, I think) that needs to be reattached. Postage to Canada is prohibitive or I would send it to @belfastboy

@belfastboy has a shipping address in Washington state: shipping should be about $13 each way if you can fit it into a box that is 18X16X6 inches or less (most all hats other than the largest westerns will easily fit).

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
I have a 2021 Stetson Catera 5X (100% fur felt - I presume rabbit). It is a 7 5/8 regular oval. (My "Crash Test" Catera that has been posted in the Stetson Gun Club Catera thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-gun-club-catera.25961/post-2913530 ). The open crown is about 5 1/2" tall and the brim is 3 1/4"

The felt is actually pretty doggone good. The blocked shape (tapered), sweatband and size are pretty doggone bad. I don't know how I managed to mis-measure my head at the time I got this hat, but my actual head size is 7 3/8 long oval.

I want to have this hat rebuilt/reblocked to be a 7 3/8 long oval, straight block (no taper), at least a 6" open crown and at least 3" of brim (if not more).

Is it possible to downsize this hat by two sizes; change a tapered crown to straight; and have enough felt to do all that and heighten the crown without losing much brim?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I'll let the expert hat makers chime in but I think you may be asking too much from a modern felt with a machine pressed crease.. Either that, or the cost may be such that you can find a vintage hat in just your style for less money.

I have a 2021 Stetson Catera 5X (100% fur felt - I presume rabbit). It is a 7 5/8 regular oval. (My "Crash Test" Catera that has been posted in the Stetson Gun Club Catera thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-gun-club-catera.25961/post-2913530 ). The open crown is about 5 1/2" tall and the brim is 3 1/4"

The felt is actually pretty doggone good. The blocked shape (tapered), sweatband and size are pretty doggone bad. I don't know how I managed to mis-measure my head at the time I got this hat, but my actual head size is 7 3/8 long oval.

I want to have this hat rebuilt/reblocked to be a 7 3/8 long oval, straight block (no taper), at least a 6" open crown and at least 3" of brim (if not more).

Is it possible to downsize this hat by two sizes; change a tapered crown to straight; and have enough felt to do all that and heighten the crown without losing much brim?

Dr.John

New in Town

Attachments

• AAEF71D1-617E-404E-8A61-0E6D5D4339B7.jpeg
    AAEF71D1-617E-404E-8A61-0E6D5D4339B7.jpeg
    949.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 8299A792-6287-477B-BDE2-AEE0C3FCE9EB.jpeg
    8299A792-6287-477B-BDE2-AEE0C3FCE9EB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69

Forum statistics

Threads
Members