Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Wow, thank you Hatman. That is a tremendous help and I thank you very much! Excellent reference point!
Looks quite similar to these:
View attachment 615382 View attachment 615383 View attachment 615384
Could also be the later model (not the 30's-40's) Stetson Laloo. Really there are so many.
Look over the Stockman Farmer/Miller Stockman catalogs posted around here for ideas.
My mistake, I meant to say Boss of the Plains in my prior post.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hatman, the more I look at these photos the more I see that none of them are quite the same as this hat. I noticed on the hat I'm inquiring about; it has a flat brim and a ribbon and bow treatment identical to an Open Plains but with a bound brim. It's a good starting point for sure but there's an odd mix to this hat. It doesn't seem to exactly fit. I do appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.
After 70 years there is a very good chance the brim shape has been changed. And the bow does not look frayed to me. It just looks like the fold has come loose.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
After 70 years there is a very good chance the brim shape has been changed. And the bow does not look frayed to me. It just looks like the fold has come loose.
Good insight Bill. Here's what I found out about the hat which still puzzles me. The hat I have pictured is one that is from a website where this hat sold at auction. Not much info on it other than they had it listed as a 1950s Stetson Deluxe Western Fedora. I have found one that I'm waiting for the seller to mail to me. It's the same identical model. It too has the flat brim frayed bow on the one end and it's dated 1957. This is what's so puzzling to me that both hats have these distinctive features. I know it's not the same hat that was sold and now being resold, but identical for sure. I've looked at all the Stockman/Miller catalog pics on here and not one shows this hat. The closest one is a 1930s or 1940s model with the flat bound brim edge and same bow treatment but I know the hat I'm referring to is a later model. When I get the hat, I'm going to post pics on here. Would i post them under the Stetson forum or on this one?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^ both
1 for reference here and 1 for discussion there.
Kinda looks like one of those early wide ribbon ORs but without more pics who knows. Could be anything.
B

gilligan

One of the Regulars
^^^ both
Kinda looks like one of those early wide ribbon ORs but without more pics who knows. Could be anything.
B
I agree and I wish I had more pics but until I receive the hat, I'm totally confused. You're right about being an early Open Road but with a wider brim as far as I can tell. I can't wait to post pics when I can and see what someone can come up with. Thanks for the advice for pointing me in the right direction for posting.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
^^^ both
B

^^^ both
B
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1457839550...uid=JBfaEqmDSOi&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY Here's a link to one that is for sale on Ebay now. This should give you a good idea as it shows every detail pretty good. Seller has it listed as a 1960s but it really should be a late 1950s.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good insight Bill. Here's what I found out about the hat which still puzzles me. The hat I have pictured is one that is from a website where this hat sold at auction. Not much info on it other than they had it listed as a 1950s Stetson Deluxe Western Fedora. I have found one that I'm waiting for the seller to mail to me. It's the same identical model. It too has the flat brim frayed bow on the one end and it's dated 1957. This is what's so puzzling to me that both hats have these distinctive features. I know it's not the same hat that was sold and now being resold, but identical for sure. I've looked at all the Stockman/Miller catalog pics on here and not one shows this hat. The closest one is a 1930s or 1940s model with the flat bound brim edge and same bow treatment but I know the hat I'm referring to is a later model. When I get the hat, I'm going to post pics on here. Would i post them under the Stetson forum or on this one?
I wouldn’t call either one of those a flat brim. They are just not as curled as most. But they both do have some curl. I find the ribbon treatment to be interesting. Based on the auction hat with good pictures it looks to me like the original idea was to just leave the back end of the ribbons unfinished and not folded-under. To me it looks like any fraying that has occurred has happened over time. But it doesn’t look to be intentionally frayed Like the one below. Looking forward to seeing more of these hats once you get them in hand.

IMG_0318.jpeg

gilligan

One of the Regulars
I wouldn’t call either one of those a flat brim. They are just not as curled as most. But they both do have some curl. I find the ribbon treatment to be interesting. Based on the auction hat with good pictures it looks to me like the original idea was to just leave the back end of the ribbons unfinished and not folded-under. To me it looks like any fraying that has occurred has happened over time. But it doesn’t look to be intentionally frayed Like the one below. Looking forward to seeing more of these hats once you get them in hand.

View attachment 616084
Thanks Bill, I appreciate the insight and I'll definitely post pics for you to take a look. Thanks again Bill.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Thanks Bill, I appreciate the insight and I'll definitely post pics for you to take a look. Thanks again Bill.

View attachment 616084

View attachment 616084
Hi Bill, I wanted to post pics of the hat as I received it today. I hope this gives you a good indication of the uniqueness of it. The shape is as I received it. It's interesting for sure as it has a great snap brim. The backend of the ribbon is an unusual factory touch and the felt is identical to an early 1950s Open Road and it has a 3" brim as opposed to the Open Road at 2 3/4". Let me know what you think.
Royal Stetson pic side view with bow.jpg
Royal Stetson bow pic.jpg
Royal Stetson side view.jpg
Royal Stetson back view.jpg
Royal Stetson front view.jpg
Royal Stetson front view pic 2.jpg
Royal Stetson size tag.jpg
Royal Stetson liner logo.jpg
Royal Stetson logo.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Hi Bill, I wanted to post pics of the hat as I received it today. I hope this gives you a good indication of the uniqueness of it. The shape is as I received it. It's interesting for sure as it has a great snap brim. The backend of the ribbon is an unusual factory touch and the felt is identical to an early 1950s Open Road and it has a 3" brim as opposed to the Open Road at 2 3/4". Let me know what you think. View attachment 616237 View attachment 616238 View attachment 616239 View attachment 616240 View attachment 616241 View attachment 616242 View attachment 616243 View attachment 616244 View attachment 616246
Ok, I'll play . . .

Royal Stetson. Hmmm. Doesn't look like a '50s sweatband to me.

What's under the sweatband? How is it sewn in? How is the liner attached?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
On further review it looks like the rusty ribbon highlights and the edge binding highlights match which would suggest aftermarket artisanship. And that concave ribbon? Total artisan aftermarket job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace