Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Do I still have to take my hat off in a place where Western etiquette doesn't always apply? E.g.; A Japanese/Korean/Chinese restaurant. If so, where do I place it? On a seat?

Do I still have to take my hat off in a place where Western etiquette doesn't always apply? E.g.; A Japanese/Korean/Chinese restaurant. If so, where do I place it? On a seat?

You don't HAVE TO take it off except during the National Anthem IMHO. In a restaurant, I take mine off at the table IF there is a safe place to put it like a seat. Be careful because wait staff serve over vacant seats & drops do fall from plates & bowls. Don't ask my Stetson 100 how I know this....

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
With very few exceptions, I always remove my hat while eating (indoors). To date, I have always managed to find a safe place to put it. And I have never had a mishap. Just be aware of your surroundings and think it through.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Light with dark is an easier blend than trying to match which is near impossible. Grays can be warm or cool which can make for a mismatch however. Some tend to the blue, green or beige tonalities.

GamaH

A-List Customer
You don't HAVE TO take it off except during the National Anthem IMHO. In a restaurant, I take mine off at the table IF there is a safe place to put it like a seat. Be careful because wait staff serve over vacant seats & drops do fall from plates & bowls. Don't ask my Stetson 100 how I know this....

I've heard cases of that happening, which is my main worry.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I'd say that most "hat etiquette" is an anachronism, and wholly unnecessary. Others would vehemently disagree with me.

I agree with jlee, especially regarding younger generations. Sometimes I follow more traditional guidelines, as I spend a lot of time in retirement homes as well as around elderly arts patrons, and the not only the etiquette, but the hat as well tends to be appreciated in these audiences.

Hatiquette among my peers isn't non-existent, but very relaxed: It's usually off while dining out, but there certainly isn't a practice of removing the lid upon first meeting a lady, and tipping it hat her for all successive encounters, etc.: it would be ridiculed, even if only in fun. Those younger folks who desire or expect that kind of behavior definitely appear to suffer from "have cake: eat also" syndrome, as in most circles chivalry died with the latest onset of women's liberation.

Incidentally, my wife and I would love it if I could make enough in my profession to sustain our family myself without her having to work, but that's become increasingly less common around here for the past few decades, and sociocultural customs and behavior reflect that, as for some reason men like to think they have some God-given entitlement over women when income is the biggest symptom. I suppose the Bible never really helped that ideology either.

Just imagine the day when men will be expected to leave their hats on at church, and women will be expected to remove them. It might be awhile, but fairly inevitable at this rate. Fine with me-- more "noggin' time," as I'm in the somewhat unique situation of having a full-time job, 2-3 part time jobs, and being a stay-at-home dad. How? you may ask: I tend to work nights, weekends, and during school hours. Wifey is 8-5.

Last edited:

flyfishark

Practically Family
Is anyone familiar with "Vanity Hats?" This ad is from the Literary Digest, Sept. 11, 1920. It reads "College Men Admire the Smartness of Vanity Hats." The hat seems to have been made by the NONAME HAT MFG. CO., 220 Fifth Avenue, New York, with Plant at Orange, New Jersey, Since 1883. At the bottom of the ad it states "Seen in the Best of Company."
14tr2c9.jpg

rocknroper

New in Town
Stetson Open Road Straw Hat

Does anyone out there know if a retailer in the NYC area carries a Stetson Open Road Straw Hat? JJ Hats do not, neither does Bencraft, I know I can buy one online but would just like to see it first.

rocknroper

New in Town
Oh thanks, I was wondering why they were only $57, I have a couple of vintage Felt open roads, but would still like to see one in Straw. Guess I will have to wait till I'm in Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw