Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I see the very cool looking Fedora Lounge lapel pins on the web banner, but when I click on it and go to the store I can't find them, are they available for purchase?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Define ruining? In all basic terms, I'd say not possible. You can cut the stitching at the back of the sweat which is technically not "ruining" it.

It's a historically significant hat - 'ruining' such a hat to some would be doing anything at all to it. Just looking for opinions - clearly, I'm not going to cut the back of the sweatband and try to self-stretch it two sizes. I wouldn't even attempt that with a beater, as the result would be a misshapen mess (unless you guys know something we haven't discussed here before).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
It's a historically significant hat - 'ruining' such a hat to some would be doing anything at all to it. Just looking for opinions - clearly, I'm not going to cut the back of the sweatband and try to self-stretch it two sizes. I wouldn't even attempt that with a beater, as the result would be a misshapen mess (unless you guys know something we haven't discussed here before).

If you send it to Optimo for the size increase all it will share with its origin is the felt and liner(maybe). Ribbon and sweat can't grow nor can the crown dimensions remain--not much of an historical link.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
If you send it to Optimo for the size increase all it will share with its origin is the felt and liner(maybe). Ribbon and sweat can't grow nor can the crown dimensions remain--not much of an historical link.

Thanks, Robert. They've stretched hats and saved the sweatband before - just wasn't sure how much they could do. They have also saved the ribbon - as you know, that's just a matter of taking it off and sewing it right back on.

Crap. I'll have to deal with it just sitting on the shelf and being a historical item :). Looking forward to sharing pics.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

If it is as you say "...a historically significant hat" you DON'T WEAR it. You are merely the repository for a piece of history.

Str8Jacket

New in Town
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Excuse my ignorance, but what is COW? Is this some forum of note, and would it be worth taking a look at for someone with little "vintage" experience?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Excuse my ignorance, but what is COW? Is this some forum of note, and would it be worth taking a look at for someone with little "vintage" experience?

COW is Club Obi Wan, a popular Indiana Jones site. You have to sign up to even read the boards, never mind post, and you can't use a yahoo/aol/gmail/hotmail-type web-based mail service. But once you do get signed up, the place contains a plethora of Indiana Jones info.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Did Resistol make wool fedoras?

Back in the Byer-Rolnick days, when they still made fedoras -- did Resistol ever market wool felt hats? If so, would they have been labeled as such on the sweatband or liner?

Put another way, on a hat of that vintage, if it doesn't say "fur felt," does that mean it's not -- or was fur felt understood to be standard in those days?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
If it is as you say "...a historically significant hat" you DON'T WEAR it. You are merely the repository for a piece of history.

Seeing it in writing, I have to agree. Guess this one will sit on my bookshelf as a conversation piece.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Back in the Byer-Rolnick days, when they still made fedoras -- did Resistol ever market wool felt hats? If so, would they have been labeled as such on the sweatband or liner?

Put another way, on a hat of that vintage, if it doesn't say "fur felt," does that mean it's not -- or was fur felt understood to be standard in those days?

Wool labeling requirement dates back to 1939, general Textile content to 1960. Most(many do) older hats won't say "fur felt" but may specify a species if higher value(Beaver). Of course a wool label(generally a separate tag) may no longer be present.

masiaka

Familiar Face
Does it usually take a full 3 months before a hat will ship out from Oz if bought from EA, or do they tend to ship early? And I assume they will send an email when the hat ships?

scooter

Practically Family
we speak from time to time of the line left in the hat when using 1 of the modern stretchers. although I did not do it, I have a hat where this line exists. is there a way to eliminate that line ?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
we speak from time to time of the line left in the hat when using 1 of the modern stretchers. although I did not do it, I have a hat where this line exists. is there a way to eliminate that line ?
You can cut a thin piece of cardboard the width of the sweat and put that over the sweat before you put the stretcher in it.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Does it usually take a full 3 months before a hat will ship out from Oz if bought from EA, or do they tend to ship early? And I assume they will send an email when the hat ships?
A lot depends on which model and your size and the color you want as far as determining how fast it will be shipped. Many of the retailers in OZ do not keep large stocks on hand considering that the factory is in OZ. This is the summer time in Australia and the factory traditionally closes down for a period of time during the summer so the retailers have to wait for some of their orders. Sam at EA is very good at keeping folks informed as to status of whats available and when and how long orders will take. Your best bet is to deal directly with him if you are considering ordering from them directly. And yes , sometimes it can take up to 3 mo's. to get your order filled. But the only one who can give you an exact answer would be Sam at EA. :)

masiaka

Familiar Face
57 Silverbelly CD, already ordered. I just wanted to know if the hat might arrive early, near Christmas (as a gift to myself). I'll call Sam at EA and ask him, but if the factory shuts down in the summer it doesn't seem likely.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
57 Silverbelly CD, already ordered. I just wanted to know if the hat might arrive early, near Christmas (as a gift to myself). I'll call Sam at EA and ask him, but if the factory shuts down in the summer it doesn't seem likely.
Sam can give you better answers on this than any one here on the Forum. He's great people to deal with.

Luckie

New in Town
REshaping a fedora

Meyer the Hatter used to do this in NOLA but no longer do. I have heard of a place in Mississippi that now will reshape and restore hats. I had their info but seem to have misplaced it, anyone know about the place I'm talking about or of another place near SC. I have a beautiful Royal Deluxe Stetson I bought from Meyer the Hatter in NOLA and the brim is now all misshapen and I'd like to do it myself but I don't know how I guess if I want to be able to wear it again I need to have the brim reshaped at least. I also have some straw hats that need some repairs and now that it's winter and they aren't good for wearing, it would be a good time to have them repaired.
Thanks

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Meyer the Hatter used to do this in NOLA but no longer do. I have heard of a place in Mississippi that now will reshape and restore hats. I had their info but seem to have misplaced it, anyone know about the place I'm talking about or of another place near SC. I have a beautiful Royal Deluxe Stetson I bought from Meyer the Hatter in NOLA and the brim is now all misshapen and I'd like to do it myself but I don't know how I guess if I want to be able to wear it again I need to have the brim reshaped at least. I also have some straw hats that need some repairs and now that it's winter and they aren't good for wearing, it would be a good time to have them repaired.
Thanks

Luckie, I am not sure where Belton is, but there is a hat shop in Charlotte called Alexanders on East Indepence. They do repairs and reblocking. Hope this helps.

Regards

Kirk H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy