Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Ah, I think I get it now.

On a side note... This thread referenced something about the "COW connection," with regard to crown taper (I was google-ing for information earlier, when I came across it). What does that mean? I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with bovines.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Italian-Style&p=548753&viewfull=1#post548753

COW is the initialism for Club Obi Wan, a forum dedicated to Indiana Jones gear/film/prop discussion, including a section on his fedora. Some folks cross post between here and there.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I own a Sunbody fine palm pressed fedora. Is the fine palm very different than a Milan straw for texture, build and comfort? I have been looking at photos on the different hat vendor sites and the construction looks similar.

Do you wish to compare a real straw Milan, or a Shangtung Milan? Two very different animals.

GamaH

A-List Customer
What kind of crease is this?

IMG_0175.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Top view would help with that one, but if the top crease goes straight back it's a "center dent" (center crease front to back with front dents, not too tight of a pinch). If there's a half circle or extra corners in the back, it could conceivably be a teardrop, C-crown, or diamond crease, but from this view I'm guessing there's no telescoped or raised portion in the middle?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Do you wish to compare a real straw Milan, or a Shangtung Milan? Two very different animals.

Shantung (Milan or otherwise) is synthetic, or paper, isn't it? I have a palm straw by Atwood and it is very stiff. I don't have any Shantungs, and a few basically entry level Panamas. My genuine Milans are easily the best, shadiest, and coolest. Is this what you're getting after, Duper?

GamaH

A-List Customer
Top view would help with that one, but if the top crease goes straight back it's a "center dent" (center crease front to back with front dents, not too tight of a pinch). If there's a half circle or extra corners in the back, it could conceivably be a teardrop, C-crown, or diamond crease, but from this view I'm guessing there's no telescoped or raised portion in the middle?

It's a Stetson Benchley; I googled it, and got an image for this:

stetson-fur-felt-benchley-TFBE1023

Is that C or Teardrop? (I can never really tell the difference).

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Shantung (Milan or otherwise) is synthetic, or paper, isn't it? I have a palm straw by Atwood and it is very stiff. I don't have any Shantungs, and a few basically entry level Panamas. My genuine Milans are easily the best, shadiest, and coolest. Is this what you're getting after, Duper?

My understanding is that it is a plastic coated paper. I have one Shangtung Milan, one vintage straw Milan and one modern straw Milan. The straw Milans are much more pliable, and they seem to me to have a bit better airflow. Though I haven't had a good comparison between them, as I've worn my Shangtung in Arizona (dry heat), my vintage straw Milan in Hawaii (humid heat), and my Black Sheep Milan here in SF (heat? What heat?!).

inkyhands

New in Town
Folks:
Normally I am an Akubra guy. I currently own 3(Stylemaster, Campdraft, old, old Bushmen)However, I ran across a Stetson on eBay the other day that was in my size, had not been bid up to a large sum, and I decided to put in a bid. I got the hat, have paid for it, and am awaiting delivery. However, I am curious about what sort of catch I have made. The hat was listed as:Vintage Royal Stetson fedora size 7 5/8. Gray in good vtg condition. Anyone that can comment on this hat? I got it for $44.00 + shipping of $10.00, so it wasn't a major expense. But I don't know anything about it. Any help appreciated.
Inkyhands

Duper

Practically Family
My understanding is that it is a plastic coated paper. I have one Shangtung Milan, one vintage straw Milan and one modern straw Milan. The straw Milans are much more pliable, and they seem to me to have a bit better airflow. Though I haven't had a good comparison between them, as I've worn my Shangtung in Arizona (dry heat), my vintage straw Milan in Hawaii (humid heat), and my Black Sheep Milan here in SF (heat? What heat?!).

Thanks jlee562 and bowlerman. This deciding on a new summer lid is tough. I wanted to try something different in a shantung or Milan but have never actually seen one of any quality that I can recall. I like my Sunbody, but it is also a very stiff hat. I saw a Milan fedora on the Miller Hats website but it would be near $170 by the time they shipped to me here in Canada. Me thinks I will head for Panama Bob's website while I ponder this some more. [huh]

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks jlee562 and bowlerman. This deciding on a new summer lid is tough. I wanted to try something different in a shantung or Milan but have never actually seen one of any quality that I can recall. I like my Sunbody, but it is also a very stiff hat. I saw a Milan fedora on the Miller Hats website but it would be near $170 by the time they shipped to me here in Canada. Me thinks I will head for Panama Bob's website while I ponder this some more. [huh]

The upside to a Shangtung hat is that they're a bit more water resistant. Though now that I have a natural straw Milan, I do much prefer the look of natural straw. Looks like Miller is using a hemp braid, which I suspect must be a pretty durable fiber.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Folks:
Normally I am an Akubra guy. I currently own 3(Stylemaster, Campdraft, old, old Bushmen)However, I ran across a Stetson on eBay the other day that was in my size, had not been bid up to a large sum, and I decided to put in a bid. I got the hat, have paid for it, and am awaiting delivery. However, I am curious about what sort of catch I have made. The hat was listed as:Vintage Royal Stetson fedora size 7 5/8. Gray in good vtg condition. Anyone that can comment on this hat? I got it for $44.00 + shipping of $10.00, so it wasn't a major expense. But I don't know anything about it. Any help appreciated.
Inkyhands

Post a link to the auction so folks can take a look at the liner, tags, sweatband, etc, to help determine a date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo