Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Okay, about that pouncing, all I know is that it's sanding the hat. I have no idea how it's done, or what exactly the end result will be. It's not that I'm not willing, it's that I really don't know what it means. I also don't want to destroy my favorite hat. I will send it off if need be, but I would like to learn how to do these things myself. The rest of the hat has a very smooth finish that I would like to restore, but not at the risk of damaging the integrity of the felt. I do have a hat I can test on, but I'd rather not destroy it, either.

What is the proper technique for pouncing (i.e. clockwise, counter-clockwise, backward from the front or vice-versa, circular motion, etc.)? And what is the proper sandpaper? Adventurebilt says they use 320 grit sandpaper, so I'm assuming that's the correct thing to use.

As for sending it off, I'm assuming Optimo in Chicago would be the place to go. Peters Brothers could probably do it, but as I said before, they seem a bit too rough with the hats for my liking.

...What is the proper technique for pouncing (i.e. clockwise, counter-clockwise, backward from the front or vice-versa, circular motion, etc.)? And what is the proper sandpaper? ....

All of this has been covered well in the Lounge. Bottom line is no amount of thread reading is going to get your confidence built up enough to do this on your favorite hat. You need to get a test hat you couldn't care less about destroying for practice.
I've been to Peter Bros & not noticed any different behavior than other hatters. Not sure what you witnessed.
I've had good results with total renovations with Optimo.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Alright, I finally did find information on the technique, I had looked before, but I didn't find it until now. I apologize for asking a question that had been answered, really. I won't be happy destroying any test hat I get, but that doesn't mean I won't try anything. And maybe I misjudged Peters Brothers, I'm probably just so careful that their normal behavior seemed rough, but really I was never trying to put them down, they do what they do just fine, I'm very happy to have such an experienced hatter in my area.

Thank you all very much for your answers, there's a heck of a lot of stuff I'd never know without you guys. I don't know where I'd be without the Lounge.

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
peacoat and fedora

I was wondering would the fedora fit with a peacoat, say a navy coat as well as the perfect for eachother combo like the trench coat and fedora?

Last edited:

a1phoneguy

New in Town
Anyone, I'm new, I'm confused, Can't seem to find any button/link to post new, Your site is confusing. Trying to find info on repairing bowlers/homburgs. Found nothing. Advanced search does not yield any info. Can someone help. I have a 1971 Cristies Bowler that is need of brim re-shaping. Anyone? Someone replied ONLY with a link to Optimo hats. Thanx but I could NOT find any link to reparing hats. I don't mean to be sarcastic, but, isn't there anybody out there that knows of this subject, it would seem to me that this is the place where one could glean info on this subject. No luck yet.

Last edited:
Anyone, I'm new, I'm confused, Can't seem to find any button/link to post new, Your site is confusing. ....

I see "+ Post New Thread" button right at the top of the Hats forum. Same as "+ Reply to Thread" button on this thread... Not a confusing site to me but I've been here a while. Search for threads on Hat repairs, renovations, restorations.... Google is best & use "site:thefedoralounge.com" after your terms.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Can't find index. If i dont know where to look how can i find it?
Right above "+ Reply to Thread" button on this page, you should see "Forum > Apparel > Hats > Ask a question, get an answer"
The "Hats" is a hot link & if you mouse over it, it becomes a button.
Also, the word "Forum" is displayed twice on the top of the page. It takes you back to the list of folders & Hats is listed under the Apparel group....

a1phoneguy

New in Town
Right above "+ Reply to Thread" button on this page, you should see "Forum > Apparel > Hats > Ask a question, get an answer"
The "Hats" is a hot link & if you mouse over it, it becomes a button.
Also, the word "Forum" is displayed twice on the top of the page. It takes you back to the list of folders & Hats is listed under the Apparel group....

I appreciate your speedy replies. I cliked on the "Hats" button as you described, but, only button there is "reply to thread". Could it be restrictions on my work comp? Just got a new one last week. They put so many restrictions on this damn thing its almost useless except for work.

5 mins later.......
I found it. When I cliked on Gen. Attire, etc.....I finally found the post new thread. thanx again sir,...., now if I can get ananswer to my question.:p

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
a1phoneguy, there is not much information on the Lounge about the repair of bowlers. The most information you will find is this thread, Derby Deconstruction. As for repairing any damage, it depends on what type of damage you have. Fixing a problem where the curve of the brim has changed is different that fixing damage to the curl of the brim edge. Has part of the entire brim itself been damaged? Or is it damage to the D'Orsay curl on the brim edge? More information is necessary, and it would be helpful to see photos. Photos have to be hosted on photo-hosting sites, like photobucket.com, and linked to your post on the Lounge using IMG tags.

Brad

Anyone, I'm new, I'm confused, Can't seem to find any button/link to post new, Your site is confusing. Trying to find info on repairing bowlers/homburgs. Found nothing. Advanced search does not yield any info. Can someone help. I have a 1971 Cristies Bowler that is need of brim re-shaping. Anyone? Someone replied ONLY with a link to Optimo hats. Thanx but I could NOT find any link to reparing hats. I don't mean to be sarcastic, but, isn't there anybody out there that knows of this subject, it would seem to me that this is the place where one could glean info on this subject. No luck yet.

Best bet - go to google put in Fedora Lounge Bowler repair and see what comes up.

Bowlers I think are constructed differently than regular fedoras - repairs amy take a different set of skills than regular fur felts.

You might have to do a search for Hat repair and contact some of the professionals to get an opinion.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone. Is there a section of the Lounge for local discussions? Such as discussions about where you're from in the: South, North, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, etc., etc.., etc...? Would love to know about special events in the South.

Hi everyone. Is there a section of the Lounge for local discussions? Such as discussions about where you're from in the: South, North, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, etc., etc.., etc...? Would love to know about special events in the South.

There is an Events section for get togethers and and to post outside events of vintage themes.

There is a thread called new ladies and gentlement step forward for people to write. Temperature where you live can get people discussing there local news and such.

TPD166

One Too Many
Western hat crease?

After searching without success, I am going to post my question here - I am trying to determine what this type of western/cowboy crease is called? It is not a cattleman (wider at the back and comes to a point) and doesn't really seem to be a "quarterhorse." The felt hat is a 1970s 5X Resistol and the crown is original (I changed the brim only - 2nd photo). If the pictures don't fully show the style - it is much taller in front than the back, with a somewhat pinched front. I have seen it on a number of hats and it seemed to become popular in the late 1960s (I don't see it in earlier catalogs), but I cannot find anything that gives this style a name (assuming it has one).

Thanks!
Resistol_Teton2.jpg

Resistol_Teton.jpg

Resistol_SC.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran