Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Landman

One Too Many
So since the Akubra Federation IV came up and as I mentioned, I'm green for the most part...how does one bash an open crown hat into the Indy shape or any other for that matter?

And thank you for the hat/face chart link!

Some hats require steam or a light misting with water. Others are soft enough to dry bash.

Check out YouTube or David Morgan's hat website. I think he has a video specifically dealing with an Indy style bash. I believe the hat he bashes in the video is an Akubra Adventurer.

Edit: I found the direct link.

http://www.davidmorgan.com/indy_bash.html?products_id=1128&

Last edited:
Thanks Frank! : )

Good morning, FashionFrank, Jessen, and Loungers;

This is indeed a great outcome. As stated in earlier posts, it's apparent that Jessen is working hard to help our affliction; a good thing!! A great guy offering a broad spectrum of cranium covers, and now providing SERVICE. And, of course you're correct in your assertion that top-notch service is worth (or Worth & Worth;)) paying for. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys! That being said, any rhetorical pressure on a good vendor to offer discounts is just that...rhetoric. Talk, we must!! We only hope that you will periodically offer sales, etc. to make us all feel like we "got something." Human nature, I think. Please remember that I did say that Salmagundi is absolutely worth the trip!

In the meantime, most all publicity is good, especially when it provides an opportunity to be a hero. Well done!

And, thank you Jessen for so soundly addressing this, and for the PM to keep me informed. This shows your attention to detail, which is appreciated.

StokerCat

New in Town
Beautiful, thanks guys for the words and the links. The vids make it look far easier than I imagined. I think I'm going to go Akubra (as much as I want an Adventurebilt) and I'm thinking of the Imperial instead of the Deluxe as I want to get a brown and a black because I wear black way more often than brown. Anyone have both that can advise on if it's worth the upgrade? Because spread out over 2-3 hats, that's considerable for me. Thanks, friends!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful, thanks guys for the words and the links. The vids make it look far easier than I imagined. I think I'm going to go Akubra (as much as I want an Adventurebilt) and I'm thinking of the Imperial instead of the Deluxe as I want to get a brown and a black because I wear black way more often than brown. Anyone have both that can advise on if it's worth the upgrade? Because spread out over 2-3 hats, that's considerable for me. Thanks, friends!

If you're looking for advice on Indy hats, the best place is Club Obi Wan over at Indygear.com or FortuneandGlory.org

An Imperial grade Akubra is a fine hat. The deluxe has a nicer sweatband, and has a higher content of wild hare which makes the felt more resistant to the elements. That having been said, my Imperial grade Fed IV has held up for several years now and has withstood many a walk in the rain. Is the deluxe superior? Yes, but that doesn't mean that the Imperial grade is something to shrug your shoulders at. They're both fine hats.

I have an Imperial Fed4 & a Deluxe Campdraft. If I were only getting 1, I would spring for the Deluxe.
Since you are getting 2, go for 2 Imperials. I'd also suggest the Moonstone with a black ribbon over a black one, unless you're going for Blues Bros too. JMHO

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
I have an Imperial Fed4 & a Deluxe Campdraft. If I were only getting 1, I would spring for the Deluxe.
Since you are getting 2, go for 2 Imperials. I'd also suggest the Moonstone with a black ribbon over a black one, unless you're going for Blues Bros too. JMHO

I 2nd everything GT said....and I also vote for the Moonstone with the black ribbon....:) My first hat was black, and I got another hat different color as soon as possible and now I never wear the black one....I've seen some around here that look great...but for the most part he's right...They can get a Blues Bro's....Freddy Kruger thing going on pretty easily....Just sayin'...

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
Good morning, FashionFrank, Jessen, and Loungers;

This is indeed a great outcome. As stated in earlier posts, it's apparent that Jessen is working hard to help our affliction; a good thing!! A great guy offering a broad spectrum of cranium covers, and now providing SERVICE.

Hello ,hatsRme and again thanks for the tip .
I havent been on in a few days ( working alot of o.t. ) so sorry for not responding sooner.

I look foward to receiving my fedoras in a few weeks when they are ready and yes "absolutely worth the trip ! "

All the Best,
Fashion Frank

fashion frank

One Too Many
Hello alive'n'amplified ,interesting question and I have delved in this same subject matter before and was told that they were put into liners when men started loading on the Palmaid hair " grease " dressing and so they put in the plastic to protect the felt ?

All the Best ,
Fashion Frank

When did hatters start and/or stop using the clear plastic liner guards that prevented stains on the labels?

A simple answer, using Stetson as an example, would be that clear plastic liners appear in mid 1950s hats and continue through the 1960s. A more complicated answer would acknowledge that there were many materials used over the crown liner and their use varied by manufacturer and hat model. The liner itself serves as protection between the felt and the wearer's head. The heavy clear plastic that appears in the mid-late fifties seems to parallel the concept of vinyl coverings over upholstery and the sense that it was desirable to leave this clear plastic added protection in place during use.

An oiled paper was the material of choice for many years by Borsalino, though to my knowledge it was not used on their thin ribbon models in the 1950s. A similar translucent covering, more cloth-like than paper, appears on the Knox 20s and 40s before clear protectors became the norm. There were translucent vinyls and thin clear cellophane protectors in Stetson hats around 1950 which seem to have been replaced by the heavier, less flexible clear plastic a few years later.

These are just a few observations based on the hats in my collection. Others might with more experience might correct or refine this further.

A simple answer, using Stetson as an example, would be that clear plastic liners appear in mid 1950s hats and continue through the 1960s. A more complicated answer would acknowledge that there were many materials used over the crown liner and their use varied by manufacturer and hat model. The liner itself serves as protection between the felt and the wearer's head. The heavy clear plastic that appears in the mid-late fifties seems to parallel the concept of vinyl coverings over upholstery and the sense that it was desirable to leave this clear plastic added protection in place during use.

An oiled paper was the material of choice for many years by Borsalino, though to my knowledge it was not used on their thin ribbon models in the 1950s. A similar translucent covering, more cloth-like than paper, appears on the Knox 20s and 40s before clear protectors became the norm. There were translucent vinyls and thin clear cellophane protectors in Stetson hats around 1950 which seem to have been replaced by the heavier, less flexible clear plastic a few years later.

These are just a few observations based on the hats in my collection. Others might with more experience might correct or refine this further.

There were clear cellophane protectors in some late 30s (maybe earlier) very early 40s Borsalinos. This was debated a while back around this post in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?13133-The-BORSALINO-BROTHERHOOD&p=850614&viewfull=1#post850614

I am sure other companies used cellophane protectors but they just didn't survive. The NOS Zlateff Borsalinos are a very rare exception.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Why do most caps have snaps? Does anyone ever wear them UNsnapped? To me, they seem like a totally unnecessary and aesthetically disruptive design feature. [huh]

Why do most caps have snaps? Does anyone ever wear them UNsnapped? To me, they seem like a totally unnecessary and aesthetically disruptive design feature. [huh]

i seem to recall that old - vintage caps did not have snaps. Or not often. Wearing it unsnapped so you can see the snap is reminisant of eastern europeans trying to escape their workers paradise.

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
Well here is my question for this interesting thread. I understand that Fedora Fest is to be held in Chicago this year, is this correct and does anyone know the date and location? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto