Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ZAZ

New in Town
The hat is snug, my hair is short, it rides slightly higher than I would like but is within a reasonable range. Any sort of moderate wind will slide the hat up my head and then off if I don't immediately shove the hat back down. I cant hardly wear the hat outside without holding it down the whole time. The only thing I can think of is that the shape of my head and the shape of the hat are not playing well together.

dnjan

One Too Many
I'm thinking shape of head as well. Sounds like your head may be tapering somewhat where the new (smaller) hat is resting.
Could also relate to how far down on your forehead you are wearing it.
If the hat is sitting further back on your head due to the way it fits, I could see it blowing off more easily. While the larger hat may be sitting more level, making your head seem to taper less where the hat is in contact.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I woke up this morning and fit perfectly into my 7 1/4 hats, while my 1/8s are all snug. it is still the case this afternoon. I have heard of heads swelling in the morning and in the heat, as well as hats shrinking in heat, but temps have been subzero all day. any explanation for a sudden increase in hat size?

ZAZ

New in Town
Yes, I do believe my head is tapered. I seem to have a lot of trouble getting hats to fit. I usually want to tug them down very low and usually wear overly large sizes to facilitate that. Will my Akubra form to my head and fit better? Or should I return it and look for something that cooperates more?

Landman

One Too Many
I woke up this morning and fit perfectly into my 7 1/4 hats, while my 1/8s are all snug. it is still the case this afternoon. I have heard of heads swelling in the morning and in the heat, as well as hats shrinking in heat, but temps have been subzero all day. any explanation for a sudden increase in hat size?

I've been having a similar issue recently. Some of my hats that normally fit me perfectly have been fitting a little snug lately. My hair is normal length, I haven't gained any weight and the only unusual factor is it has been colder than normal lately. However, my hats are kept indoors at a normal room temperature and are snug before I even go out in the cold. I doubt my head has suddenly grown so if anybody has a theory I'd be interested in reading it.

I've been having a similar issue recently. Some of my hats that normally fit me perfectly have been fitting a little snug lately. My hair is normal length, I haven't gained any weight and the only unusual factor is it has been colder than normal lately. However, my hats are kept indoors at a normal room temperature and are snug before I even go out in the cold. I doubt my head has suddenly grown so if anybody has a theory I'd be interested in reading it.

Humidity?

facade

A-List Customer

Lay off the HGH Mr. Bonds. ;)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
jake-shimabukuro.jpg

Goorin Bros.
Makes quite of few of this style looks like a couple year old verison of one of theirs.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Obviously, compliments about the hats you wear have swelled your head.

:)

Miamibruno

One Too Many
I must admit my hats have been a bit tight these days of frigid temperatures. However, my question revolves around the hat below. Anyone recognize the brand? I'm a rookie but trying to learn fast. The hat itself is not as stiff as my other fur felt hats. Just curious.

Thanks for any help you can give.

8416107044_ba5faf12b9_m.jpg

8416107396_3646c652d6_s.jpg

8415011431_f2beb933d4_m.jpg

8415036319_b2819c2012_m.jpg

8416132190_e8a5aaee70_m.jpg

Miamibruno

One Too Many
I must admit my hats have been a bit tight these days of frigid temperatures. However, my question revolves around the hat below. Anyone recognize the brand? I'm a rookie but trying to learn fast. The hat itself is not as stiff as my other fur felt hats. Just curious.

Thanks for any help you can give.

8416107044_ba5faf12b9_m.jpg

8416107396_3646c652d6_m.jpg

8415011431_f2beb933d4_m.jpg

8415036319_b2819c2012_m.jpg

8416132190_e8a5aaee70_m.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Does anybody know where you can get the type of tape that is used to attach the ends of a sweatband? I didn't see anything like that on hatsupply.com and don't know where else to look. Thanks.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Does anybody know where you can get the type of tape that is used to attach the ends of a sweatband? I didn't see anything like that on hatsupply.com and don't know where else to look. Thanks.

No longer made, as far as I've found, and I've looked. Since it was pretty much gone by the 1940s, chances of finding leftover tape are slim. In the factories, a special machine applied adhesive to the tape and cut it to size when applying it to the sweatband. I've no idea what the adhesive was, but it holds up longer than the fabric of the tape. The small hatters who did renovations bought "stickers," as they were called, which were pre cut and didn't require a machine.

Your best bet is to look for a suitable fabric at fabric stores and experiment with different adhesives. Don't use the iron-on patch material, as the heat from the iron will shrink the leather, and the adhesive is heat-activated, so over time it loosens up from the heat of your head.

Brad

Last edited:

I've used linen tape. This is an archival thin fabric tape with a water activated adhesive that is used for picture framing - sold in good art supply stores. I have a roll that I bought in art school (some 4 decades ago) which has quite a lot left on it - happy to send you some if you'd like to try it. It is white.

Well, I'm more of a light user than an abuser :), but the adhesive is ample and has held well to the few taped seams that I've retaped with it. I have some fairly heavy prints that have been hung with hinges made from this tape - haven't dropped one yet in 40 years. The white color can show through the seam, so I make sure that I pull the two edges of the sweat tightly together.

I have both of your addresses, will send a little for you to experiment with.

cheers,
Alan

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks for the information guys.

Alan, I appreciate the sample. There are a couple of large art supplies stores here so I should be able to find it once I see what I'm looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24