Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

You can take the liner out as it will keep heat in. Panama's are not made to be stiff. You buy shantung straw hat to be a stiff straw.

2. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

Panama hats are floppy, the finer the floppier. I believe that blocked Panama hats have some stiffener in them. Not the maximum, just some. Art Fawcett may weigh in on that, but I think it is desirable to have a little stiffener in a good Panama.

3. Deputydowg1

Deputydowg1 New in Town

OK, this looks like the right place to pose this question, which has probably been answered somewhere else on the forum, but please be tolerant of a noobie. I just received in the mail a new Borsalino Alessandria that has an open crown. I like the look of the centerdent and formed it with my hand and put the hat on for the first look in the mirror - wonderful :D. Keeping the crown formed as I did seems more difficult, the crown seems to have a mind of its own. Will someone who cleans and blocks hats be able to make that a more permanent crease?

Thank you

Bill

4. alanfgag

alanfgag

The felt in new Borsalinos is very soft and a bit mushy when it comes to retaining a crease. Try applying steam from a tea kettle (on the outside of the hat only) - it might improve the stiffness and crease memory for the felt.

5. Deputydowg1

Deputydowg1 New in Town

Thank you, I'll try that. I have used steam to smooth out kinks in the brim of my Stetson, but that felt was thicker and stiffer.

Much appreciated.

Bill

6. SamG

SamG New in Town

7. rrd

rrd New in Town

Anyone know where or ever seen a black ribbon with white edges/piping? On a whippet?

8. Landman

Landman One Too Many

9. Deputydowg1

Deputydowg1 New in Town

OK, I steamed it a bit and that helped, here's the result, not having done this before, is it anywhere close to right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  10. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

To upload photos, use a website such as photobucket or what not. I use http://www.servimg.com/. Then you post the IMG link, so it would be something like [​IMG]

11. Happy Jack

Happy Jack A-List Customer

[​IMG]

This is a Vanzina Pavia. I need help identifing the material?

12. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

It looks great! If you are happy with it, that is all that matters! Some people prefer tight pinches, some prefer side dents. It's all on what the wearer prefers!

13. Deputydowg1

Deputydowg1 New in Town

Thanks friend, I found the FAQ's and figured it out while you were responding, but I surely appreciate the reply.

WB

14. alanfgag

alanfgag

Very right... nicely done.

If you take two fingers and press down at the side of the crown, just behind the side pinches, you will move the center dent to a diamond. The diamond crease can work well with this hat too and present a different profile with the rear of the hat lower than the front. See which you prefer. There are many examples of the diamond crease on this thread... some executed better than others.

15. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

Fur felt, usually rabbit/hare with a silk finish-- longer fibers are loosened up after the felting process.

16. Happy Jack

Happy Jack A-List Customer

Thank You for the information, I thought it may have been Wool. Nice to know it is Fur Felt.

17. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Apologies if this has been discussed before. Is there a readily-identifiable way to determine if this tag is 7-3/4 or 6-3/4. Judging by the brim measure and the overall look from the photos, it's a 7. But if there is a way to know for sure, I thank you!
    [​IMG]

18. Only by the circumference of the sweatband = no other way, no other markings....

19. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Thank you, Mr. Dean!

So, to be certain of a hat's size in these cases it's best to measure. I would be comfortable with the major and minor axis measure of the opening as well then. Simply plug those dimensions in here: http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/callipse.htm

It has worked well thus far (two successful hat purchases, two avoided).

20. Sometimes, there could be a re-order sticker under the sweat & liner.
    Typically, they have the size hand-written with size & fraction, not just fraction.
    Just thought of this...