Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
The difference in oval perimeter between 6 3/4 and 7 3/4 is more than three inches. Even a rough measurement should be sufficient. Or peek behind the sweatband bow:

small_no_1.jpg

Banky

One of the Regulars
Hello! I'm new here and have a question or two, figured this would be the place to ask.

I'm looking to buy what I consider my first "real hat" That is, I'm looking to buy my first fur felt hat. I've been wearing hats since I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years old (25 now) started with a denim newsboy my mom picked me up because I begged her. Anyways, fast forward to today, I'm a hat nut. I went from ivys and newsboys to fedoras and trilbys. Which leads me to my questions. I have several wool hats, but the constant color bleed has annoyed me to no end. I've been looking at the Borsalino Francesco (I won't post a link to the retailer for fear of breaking a rule) as I'm partial to a stingy brim. My questions is: Can anyone tell me if this is a good route to take or am I missing something as far as getting a "better" hat for the money? Thanks for the input guys and nice to meet everyone!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If a stingy is what you're after, my suggestion would be eBay. Vintage hats are simply of better quality, and you will most likely save money. Especially if you're looking at the prices of new Borsos.

Posting a link would not violate any rules.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'd bet you could land 4 vintage stingies on eBay, all of which would be of higher quality, for the price of that Borso. A modern Borso is a decent hat, but like Stetson, they're banking on the history of the Borsalino brand. You'll get a nice hat if you buy that one. But with hats, the old adage that 'they don't make em like they used to' is supremely true.

And if you do order from Delmonico, we have a board member who works there.

jrbobbyh

New in Town
Living in Georgetown, Texas and wishing to have a fedora cleaned and blocked. Does anyone have experience with Texas Hatters in Lockhart? Is there another recommendation that I should explore?

Thank you

Banky

One of the Regulars
Hmm, I see what you're saying, quality hats do seem to have gone the way of the buffalo, though it seems like this one may be my only option. the bay seems to be devoid of hats in my size that meet my preferences I've got a decently sized head I guess, lol. Somewhere between 58 and 59 cm. I appreciate you helping me out btw. I'm new to the world of felt hats, they seem to require a bit more thought than the caps I'm more accustomed to.

Banky

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I'd like to say I want to go up to 2 1/2 but the little lady doesn't like the brims that big thinks it's too much like Michael Jackson and frankly I'm not comfortable going that large myself. I pull off the stingies quite well though.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Need a suggestion, and pics if you have any. One of my lids is a vintage, dark dark gray Borsalino "Savoy" with a wide black ribbon. I plan to have it resized up to my size 7 head, and possibly have the ribbon replaced with something a little narrower. When I look at the hat, though, the dark gray of the hat almost swallows the black of the ribbon.

Any suggestions of another color I could go with? Dark blue, dark brown? (I wear a lot of earth-tone colors, and my hair, beard, and eyes are all brown.) Not too interested in silver or light gray, but could change my mind with the right combo. If you have a dark gray with a contrasting ribbon, post a pic. Thanks.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Before you get to considering colors, check to see if the felt behind the ribbon is darker (not as faded as the rest of the hat). You might need the same ribbon width.

Landman

One Too Many
Living in Georgetown, Texas and wishing to have a fedora cleaned and blocked. Does anyone have experience with Texas Hatters in Lockhart? Is there another recommendation that I should explore?

Thank you

Texas Hatter's is great for refurbishing and new custom hats. I have done business with them for many years. I think there is another hat shop north of you in Waco also. I believe the name is Standard Hat Works. I've never used them though so I can't comment on their work. There are YouTube videos about both of these shops.

jdrichards

New in Town
Hi Everyone I am a longtime hat wearer but newbie here at the Lounge. I recently procured a Stetson Roadster hat and the leather band is loose/only barely attached and always seems to be out of place. I have been thinking about replacing the leather with a thin (.250 to .500 inch) ribbon type band and I have two questions; 1. Where can I find/procure a new ribbon band that will fit this hat ? and 2. How are ribbon bands affixed so that they are attached all the way around like other new hats ? (I have a Resistol hat with ribbon band that seems almost like its glued on)
Thanks !
JD

Hi Everyone I am a longtime hat wearer but newbie here at the Lounge. I recently procured a Stetson Roadster hat and the leather band is loose/only barely attached and always seems to be out of place. I have been thinking about replacing the leather with a thin (.250 to .500 inch) ribbon type band and I have two questions; 1. Where can I find/procure a new ribbon band that will fit this hat ? and 2. How are ribbon bands affixed so that they are attached all the way around like other new hats ? (I have a Resistol hat with ribbon band that seems almost like its glued on)
Thanks !
JD

Welcome JD. Most hat bands are tacked on from the factory, either with stitching or glue ever so often around the crown.
Stitching is usually used for the cloth ribbons & hot craft glue for the leather & rope style bands.
Go to any western wear store that sells hats. They will have "take-off" ribbons from putting a horse hair band on a customer's hat.
I have some ribbons laying around here if you have a specific color you are looking for.

These bands are just snugged up against the crown so I can change out when so desired...
IMG_20121207_150658_553.jpg

IMG_20121207_150633_418.jpg

IMG_20121207_150249_610.jpg

jdrichards

New in Town
Thanks ! I was thinking about tacking it down with some rubber cement but was not sure if that would damage the felt. I will tack it with some hot glue until I find the right ribbon..Great suggestion on checking for removed ribbons at the local western wear shop..I will see what i can find..Very nice looking hats and bands you have there...Thanks for sharing the pics and the speedy reply!

What brand/model is that in the top picture (the gray one)?

Sigrah

New in Town
Thank you, Mr. Dean!

So, to be certain of a hat's size in these cases it's best to measure. I would be comfortable with the major and minor axis measure of the opening as well then. Simply plug those dimensions in here: http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/callipse.htm

It has worked well thus far (two successful hat purchases, two avoided).

Thanks for this info! I am a newby to hats, but have the fever! So, I recently acquired a vintage Stetson that is a 7 3/8 (59) thinking it would fit fine. Wrong! So, I used the aforementioned calculator, which I have read is an approximation, to see where the difference in sizes were. I measured my head and it is exactly 23 inches.

So my modest arsenal: (major axis) (minor axis) (perimeter)

Tilley (8 1/4) (6 1/4) (22.9)
Mayser City (modern) (8) (6 1/2) (22.8)
Akubra Lawson (8) (6 1/2) (22.8)
Stetson (vintage) (7 1/2) (6 1/2) (22)

The Tilley fits perfectly, the Mayser and Akubra fit well, but the Stetson not so much.

Is this a "shrinkage" issue or something else I am missing? Thanks for any help! I will definitely use this calculator in the future, as well as major and minor axes to determine which hat might be the most well suited for my noggin'.

I have the Stetson back for sale on ebay if anyone is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230929756211?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks,

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points