Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any one have any info a out hatters under license to Stetson in England ?
31CCE7DC-BD36-48EC-96FD-66568A20F20A-10359-00000FCF48A3DC63_zpsd6df40b9.jpg

2FD753A7-C1A4-41FC-AE8A-392AFC41A090-10359-00000FCF589FFBC5_zpse9fc65e5.jpg

A8A674BA-8E9F-4EAE-B14D-1F3579816948-10363-00000FD111B2C320_zps4e6b3b7b.jpg

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Randall . A hatter suggested the warm water method , makes sense if its beaver felt right.
So far the warm water thrashing seemed to work, its drying now well see what the results are like tomorrow.

Kmadden

New in Town
I've been told by two big-name hat dealers that the Dobbs Dayton/Stetson Saxon (same hat) design has been around — possibly under different style names — since the 1920s.
Brim: 2-inch snap brim. Crown: 4-inch center dent.
What do you think? Since the 1920s or 1930s?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I've been told by two big-name hat dealers that the Dobbs Dayton/Stetson Saxon (same hat) design has been around — possibly under different style names — since the 1920s.
Brim: 2-inch snap brim. Crown: 4-inch center dent.
What do you think? Since the 1920s or 1930s?

The taper of the hat block is what has changed. The taper is the line from the base of the crown at the brim to the top of the crown. In the 20's and 30's the fashion was a straight line from the base of the crown to the top of the crown. Also there was an extra inch to two inches to the crown.

Thanks Randall . A hatter suggested the warm water method , makes sense if its beaver felt right.
So far the warm water thrashing seemed to work, its drying now well see what the results are like tomorrow.

It is my understanding that the water will weaken the shellac & a good steaming will reactivate it.
The alcohol method will actually remove the shellac by bonding to the shellac & taking it out as it evaporates. Water doesn't do that.

OT1899

Familiar Face
Just wondering ... What's the difference between a hat block labeled "952" and the "52" version discussed here so often? Are they basically the same or do they have different profiles?

Thanks!

Duper

Practically Family
When looking up something about Panama Hats I paused to read the wikipedia entry. It included a section on Tamsui hats. It sounds lie they had a few redeeming qualities.

Tamsui hat
The tamsui hat was a straw hat made in Formosa (now Taiwan) to directly compete with the Panama in the early twentieth century.[3][4] Tamsui hats were made from Pandanus odorattssimus fibre, which grew plentifully on the island.[4] As they retained their whiteness, were washable, and could be folded and carried about without damage, Tamsui hats replaced the rather costlier Panama in the far East in the early twentieth century.[4]

A search for Tamsui returns nothing on The Lounge and very little on the web.

Are they still manufactured? Is it a lost art?

Just curious.

,,,Mike

GamaH

A-List Customer
Does anyone have here have any experience with Optimo's panamas? How's their quality for the price, etc?

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Does anyone have here have any experience with Optimo's panamas? How's their quality for the price, etc?

The Optimo panama hats that I've seen have all been excellent examples of the panama hat. I don't think that you could easily find better. They are also very costly. As to quality for price, that is something that only each person can answer for themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112