Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
That is an excellent looking hat gtdean48. So beaver or hare has the same feel, durability, comfort,and lifespan? I was under the impression that beaver lasted longer. If what your saying is true I might get the hare or the beaver, hare mix. mainly because the more I pay the more i might "baby" the hat. I have been looking for a hat that I could have for a lifetime to be my signature hat. Thats why durability and comfort is somthing I am looking for. Also thank you for the reply and help.
Didn't say they were the same, just that taken care of they will last a lifetime.
Reading is fundamental....

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
What would you recommend for use on a very decently dry sweatband to make the leather a bit more softer. I need to do this, to maybe aid the leather in flattening out, as it has some odd shape to it from being stored away for a long period of time. I have read olive oil, lexol, and some other products.

02011.jpg

What would you recommend for use on a very decently dry sweatband to make the leather a bit more softer. I need to do this, to maybe aid the leather in flattening out, as it has some odd shape to it from being stored away for a long period of time. I have read olive oil, lexol, and some other products.

You've said what I use = Lexol.
Had no issues with it on my forehead.
Sometimes though, the sweat is too far gone...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Randall tipped me off to pure shea butter, which is what I've been using, although he's also suggested jojoba oil as an easier substitute. I prefer natural methods (you know, being a San Francisco hippie and all :D)

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Any specific type of the Lexol brand, or would any Lexol work?

Will look into that, Jared! Would you think the local Walmart would carry the shea butter, or is that for online purchase only?

Last edited:

The Swanky Beaver

New in Town
Question about 2 Stetsons...

Has anyone here had experience with the following two Stetson hats: Catera & Whippet? I want to get both some time soon, and they look to be of great quality, as most Stetsons are.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I take it these are modern hats?

Stetson's modern production are just ok. Decent dress hats if you like the modern proportions and blocking, but nowhere near a Stetson of yore which was actually produced by the John B. Stetson company.

Any vintage Whippet in decent condition will be a superior hat to a modern one, though it just might cost twice as much with ebay prices as of late.

The Catera is what I call an Outback style hat in the Stetson Gun Club collection.
It comes in only the bark color which is somewhat olive/brownish.
For the money, I'd go truly Outback with an Akubra.
I'm not a big fan of the leather band on the Catera either.

You say "they look to be of great quality". Have you held either or just looked?
Welcome to the Lounge, btw...

Jay.

New in Town
Can anyone help me acquire a yard of black 2" inch grosgrain hatband ribbon? I used google to see where I may find it and found nothing, and used this site's advanced search but the posts with some results are years old already, I didn't want to necrobump those threads. I would appreciate any help since I am not able to pm anyone yet. I will pay a reasonable amount for that one yard I need or maybe a bit more. Thanks.

Landman

One Too Many
Can anyone help me acquire a yard of black 2" inch grosgrain hatband ribbon? I used google to see where I may find it and found nothing, and used this site's advanced search but the posts with some results are years old already, I didn't want to necrobump those threads. I would appreciate any help since I am not able to pm anyone yet. I will pay a reasonable amount for that one yard I need or maybe a bit more. Thanks.

You might try www.hatsupply.com but true vintage grosgrain is hard to find. They had some black for sale last year. I'm not sure what they have now and their website is not the easiest to navigate. Especially with an iPad.

Jay.

New in Town
You might try www.hatsupply.com but true vintage grosgrain is hard to find. They had some black for sale last year. I'm not sure what they have now and their website is not the easiest to navigate. Especially with an iPad.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, vintage ribbon is very hard to find and I did search hatsupply. It seems they have some 2" grosgrain ribbon in cotton rayon, but I don't know if there is any real difference between their "hatband ribbon" and "millinery grosgrain ribbon" as what I gather from their site each is for a specific use. Also, if I were to purchase their 2" ribbon regardless, I'd have to buy a minimum order of $28 for them to ship. That'd be about 13 yards of ribbon which is way more than I need, and its the only thing I need. So I hope someone else, perhaps someone here knows of someone who can help in selling me a black 2" yard. I can pay a reasonable price for it and maybe a bit more for time in helping me out.

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Could someone please tell me what sort of felt a 50s Knox Fifteen is made of? I can't find any labeling on the hat that says, but the felt feels incredible. Is it beaver?

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hi,

short question: does anyone know of a company called "Burselon silk"? I can't hardly find anything of these hats in the internet...

Has someone a link or something please?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Could someone please tell me what sort of felt a 50s Knox Fifteen is made of? I can't find any labeling on the hat that says, but the felt feels incredible. Is it beaver?
It's European hare, as almost all Hat Corporation of America hats were at that time. The Knox Fifty (and Dobbs and Cavanagh) was a beaver blend, while the One-Hundred was pure beaver.

The Swanky Beaver

New in Town
The Catera is what I call an Outback style hat in the Stetson Gun Club collection.
It comes in only the bark color which is somewhat olive/brownish.
For the money, I'd go truly Outback with an Akubra.
I'm not a big fan of the leather band on the Catera either.

You say "they look to be of great quality". Have you held either or just looked?
Welcome to the Lounge, btw...
Thanks! I own one, and my Dad owns 2. His are older, mine is a newer version although I dont remember the name of it at the present. Both of ours are good, but I agree, the vintage ones are nicer. :)

Banky

One of the Regulars
Background: I recently had the good fortunate of coming into procession of a late 40's early 50's Borso with a 3in brim in perfect condition for practically a song. The crown has never had a shape steamed into it so the guy I bought it from informed me I simply shape it each time I put it on.

Question: I've grown quite fond of the hat, but with something in the neighborhood of 60 years old, do I risk damaging it by repeatedly shaping it when putting it on? And what precautions should I take to avoid damaging a beautiful hat such as this?

Most vintage quality hats can be shaped multiple times without significant damage. Many of the Borsas have very supple fur so they can shape very easily without steam. For major reshaping of a crown or brim you can use a steamer or water kettle. Mostly I like to get my hats into a shape I like and leave them, but there are some I change more often. I have a pretty large hat collection, so I can arrange to have hats in different crown and brim sizes and shapes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran