Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystic

Practically Family
Thanks for the info and in-put guys. I appreciate it.

I was settled on early 50's. But, had some question that it could be late 40's because of the quality of the felt is much better (softer and thicker) than the 50's I have. The brim is 2 3/4" and the brim trim is wider 3/8" than my other marathon's. Also, I don't find many of this type of logo on liner or sweatband on the Lounge and the the re-order tag under the liner.

These reasons lead me to ask on the Lounge about the dating. late 40's or early 50's, it's a really nice hat. This could simply be because it's a Supreme Quality Marathon. A better made Marathon model.
IMG_1517_2_zps98b3529d.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1518_2_zpsd4983c06.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Orangegrad

Practically Family
So I'm trying to figure out how to wear my new Garrison Raiders Indy hat. I have two options: have the pinch off center, and the brim aligned, or have the pinch on center with my nose and have the brim wonky. Is there a correct way?

Last edited:
The way this hat was creased I can have one or the other, but not both. It was creased somewhat sideways - and it appears quite intentional.
It was definitely intentional. For anyone who doesn't already know, it's known as "the turn" among Indiana Jones hat fans. Placing the hat on your head and turning it so that the bow is forward of your left ear causes the brim to deform, which is part of the now iconic look of Indy's fedora in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
It was definitely intentional. For anyone who doesn't already know, it's known as "the turn" among Indiana Jones hat fans. Placing the hat on your head and turning it so that the bow is forward of your left ear causes the brim to deform, which is part of the now iconic look of Indy's fedora in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Thanks. Now I know it's crease over the nose and deformed brim.

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
So, I have a question that has been on my mind for quite some time of late. Is it possible to reblock a fur felt hat to get more crown height (yes, sacrificing brim width) if said hat has a bound brim? I really would like to get a little more height from one of my lids, but its difficult to see how that might be accomplished without taking the whole thing down to bare bones. At which point it might be better just to buy a new one. Any thoughts?

JodiB

New in Town
Hi, can anyone tell me where to buy nutria felt bodies as I can't seem to find any places that do. Any help would be great.

John Galt

Vendor
So, I have a question that has been on my mind for quite some time of late. Is it possible to reblock a fur felt hat to get more crown height (yes, sacrificing brim width) if said hat has a bound brim? I really would like to get a little more height from one of my lids, but its difficult to see how that might be accomplished without taking the whole thing down to bare bones. At which point it might be better just to buy a new one. Any thoughts?

It may require a wider hatband ribbon to hide any ring left at the foot (which will move up the sides a bit), but it is quite possible. The same sweat can also be carefully removed before re-blocking at the same size, and reused. Please PM me with details & to confirm I've got the right size & height block if you would like me to do it for you. I won't charge you too much, just ask you to let people know if you like the work.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
Hi, can anyone tell me where to buy nutria felt bodies as I can't seem to find any places that do. Any help would be great.

Winchester will sell you an unfinished nutria _blend_ hat body if you call them. I got one that way, but it needs a lot of pouncing & has been sitting for some time. Otherwise, good luck :-(.

I would try FEPSA if I wanted a new full nutria body - they might have them. I buy the old nutria hats when they come up at a reasonable price and have a few now, but they are pretty rare (and wonderful).

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:

Faehnle1

New in Town
Original%2520Ischler%2520Hut%2520-%2520Mod%2520Mallnitz.jpg

I inherited this hat from my mother - doubt my Dad wore it :) All I know is the tag inside the hat says: Original Ischler Hut and Mod: Mallnitz. Does anyone know the approximate year it was sold, a rough value etc

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I would try FEPSA if I wanted a new full nutria body - they might have them

Fepsa is a fantastic source, but usually you have to buy 25 bodies per type/color, if the ones offered in the online store aren't adequate for your use. In the store they only have some wools, hares and beavers - not a very wide range - and no nutrias [huh]

I inherited this hat from my mother - doubt my Dad wore it :) All I know is the tag inside the hat says: Original Ischler Hut and Mod: Mallnitz. Does anyone know the approximate year it was sold, a rough value etc

I believe it's a Bittner. It's a ladies Trachtenhut. Can you post a photo of the inside of the hat?

Last edited:

Faehnle1

New in Town
Hi,

I saw your very nice collection of German & Austrian Hats yesterday while searching the forum. Seems you might own a store or hat store. Anyway, thank you so much for taking a look at the pictures . . .

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I'm unable to upload slides using the upload feature. I'm not doing anything different than before, and it's with both the cameras that up until a few days ago had been working just fine. When I go to upload, I get a red X after the file name, but no indication of what the issue is. I've been hosting on Photobucket, but would prefer to use the upload. Anyone have any ideas?

On looking at it further, it appears I have "exceeded my quota." Any ideas how i fix that? Do I have to go back through all my old posts and delete photos? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

vintage68

Practically Family
Indy Last Crusade Hat

Does anyone have access (maybe a personal collection on their laptop) to images of Indy's fedora from Last Crusade?I'm not able to do screen captures, and I'm not having any luck on the Interweb.

I'm thinking specifically of the beginning of the film where Indy is escaping from his office through the window and while he's being accosted by the mysterious minions to get in the car.

I'm going to have a fedora styled, and I'd like some images with the cowboy curl to email.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic