Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A re-ask of a question from the Miller-Stockman thread... belgian beaver shows up as a quality of hat (less costly than clear nutria)... I always thought that this was a beaver designation, but appears that it might have been a hare product. Anyone have additional knowledge on this?

many thanks,
Alan

It certainly appears that way, but also begs the question, what is "beaver-dyed?"

-30-

A-List Customer
"Those of us girly-men who live in a Macintosh world do tend to disrespect the hardships of Windows users. "
QUOTE: alanfgag.

I see.

Regards,
J T

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
what is "beaver-dyed?"

Well, you take a beaver, a food processor, a little solvent of some kind, and then you ... :D

John: A very nostalgic and interesting article.

"Clean the hatband with saddle soap. A compound of carbon tetrachloride "Carbona" is available for cleaning hats and the inner surface of hatbands."

I have often thought about saddle soap for sweatband cleaning. We used tons of it for all kinds of leather accessories back in the hippie-days. Any of you know anything about experiments on sweatbands?

Carbon tetrachloride is a wonder-fluid for degreasing and "dry" cleaning. When I was a kid it was used for much domestic cleaning. I used it to wipe my guitar strings - quite expensive for a 12 year old - which would make them a lot crisper sounding and last a couple of weeks longer. Unfortunately it's poisonous and no longer privately available in DK [huh]

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks Ole, I found this article a while back when I was researching a belgian belly Stetson Nutria Quality cowboy hat - my very first nutria hat, incidentally, and still my favorite.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Stephan Bianchi

New in Town
Unidentified Sun Helmet

I have a military-style sun hat. The outer surface seems to be fine sand-colored cotton applied with six radial seams. It has a pugaree of the same fabric applied in 7 layers. The topknot is missing. The brim is 2-1/4” at the sides, 2-5/8” front and back, edged with a ¼” leather band of the same color. There was a brown leather chinstrap with thin brass buckles cinched to the front brim. There are no vent holes.

The interior is a fairly coarse green felt. The overall thickness is about 3/16”. The brown leather sweatband is stitched inside via zig-zagging fabric piping fastened every ¾”. The top of the band is laced with red cord about 1/16” diameter.

Inside the crown there is a circular green paper label with pinked edges. It is heavily damaged, but an extended portion along the top reads “First Quality”. There is a small shield at the bottom that may read “Made in” then “-N—ARE” or “…ARL”.

Any guesses when this was made and where?

Thanks!
IMG_1113_zpsc8c82ffb.jpg

IMG_1109_zps439cf397.jpg

IMG_1108_zps8ecc02a5.jpg

Last edited:

Stephan Bianchi

New in Town
Unidentified Fiber Fedora

I have a finely woven (1mm between fibers) fedora with a 4” crown and a 3” brim. It is not a Panama hat – the material seems to be different and so is the weave: radial and circular fibers rather than similar sets spiraling out in opposite directions. Perhaps it is a Tamsui, made in Formosa. Any guesses as to when it was made and where, what the material is?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You can upload the photos to an image hosting site (photobucket, imageshack, etc...) and then copy and paste the code into your post.

Stephan Bianchi

New in Town
Thanks, A.C. Yesterday the site did not show icons such as the one for insert image. Today it does. The fedora lounge site was not functioning for me, (no icons, no black background) possibly because I was a new member.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab

John Galt

Vendor
Can't see much in the two viewable photos on my end, but I can see enough to surmise that the usually decorative "sizing" band on the sweat looks functional rather than merely decorative, which says "really old" to me.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn