Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Galt

Vendor
Here are the two that show up for me - the rest are broken links.

pejuse5e.jpg

3uhu9a3u.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I have a finely woven (1mm between fibers) fedora with a 4” crown and a 3” brim. It is not a Panama hat – the material seems to be different and so is the weave: radial and circular fibers rather than similar sets spiraling out in opposite directions. Perhaps it is a Tamsui, made in Formosa. Any guesses as to when it was made and where, what the material is?]

No photos. Sounds possibly like a parabuntal.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I had made a new thread for this question forgetting there was a "question" thread, so here it is again.

I just got a '20s herringbone tweed newsboy cap with fur ear muffs and I wanted to ask if anyone knows the most inexpensive way to clean it, particularly the fur earmuffs. Could a dry cleaner do it? Does anyone know the prices for cleaning fur in general?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You can sometimes find vintage ribbon on the web - ie. on eBay. Japanese Mokuba makes vintage quality ribbon, but they do not sell through a webshop - and only have very few stores around the World. You have to be very lucky to find that yard or two in a specific color and width you need for a specific repair. A listing, like the one Alan linked to, is very rare - and it's 10-15 times cheaper a yard than when you're buying new vintage quality ribbon [huh]

John Galt

Vendor
Ok, so what type of blend would vintage be? I want to do this right! :)

Rayon/Cotton 50/50 is what I look for. What quantity, color and width (lignes or 1/16th inches) are you looking for? I have some narrow and wide circa 1951 ribbon, in black, brown, silver (nice) and dark green khaki (I bought from it from the hatter's son, and away I run). A PM is probably in order.

John Galt

Vendor
Yes, when you can find it. There's a lot of so called vintage "out there", and you have to check that it is edge woven and of the right fibre blend

Also, avoid ribbon that had a decorated edge, as used in women's hats (petersham?). Doesn't look right.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Ed, until recently I too believed that myth. Mokuba is actually making ribbon in qualities just as fine as the ribbon, produced in the 20s, 30s and 40s - and with genuine rayon. The company is hard to get in contact with, and the ribbon is very expensive

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Ed, until recently I too believed that myth. Mokuba is actually making ribbon in qualities just as fine as the ribbon, produced in the 20s, 30s and 40s - and with genuine rayon. The company is hard to get in contact with, and the ribbon is very expensive

You will have to have Art are show you the difference. At the last FedoraFest he showed me the difference in modern rayon and vintage
celluloid. It makes a difference in how the ribbon
Works when you iron it to wrap the ribbon around the hat. Art is a perfectionist about ribbons as his work shows.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You will have to have Art are show you the difference.

I'm quite sure, it wasn't Mokuba ribbon, he was showing. I'm very well aware of the difference between vintage and modern ribbon - and their very different properties. Mokuba is the exception from that rule. Their rayon is actually made from cellulose - just like it was back in the day.

I didn't know that either, but BaronKurtz told me the other day and pointed out that the couture business depended on it. Since that I have talked to a tailor and two theatre/movie costume designers/tailors about the issue. They had the exact same message, and believe me - they are no less perfectionists than Art :)

They found a small sample among their ribbon stock, and it was just as luxurious and soft as any of the bolts of "Vialaton & Martin", "Band Craft", "American Hat Band", "George Bros", "O. Regen", "National" and other brands I have. Complete different from the much stiffer "Burlington" from the 70s/80's and up I bought when I didn't know better.

Two weeks ago I was just as convinced as you, but I stand corrected. Fine and traditionally made grosgrain ribbon is still made, though a yard will cost you more than Art will charge you to renew a ribbon with a vintage :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred