Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viper Man

Banned
bradford said:
What's the point of bashing your own hat?

I have about 5 hats now and every one has come with already bashed from the hat stores where they have been purchased.

I'm just curious as to why so many people talk about doing their own bashing?

Some people just don't like the pre-formed look and prefer a more "organic" hand shaped look. Porkpies are a good example, I prefer a hand shaped porkpie over a blocked one anyday.

Welcome to the Lounge!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
bradford said:

I myself don't own any fedoras with a factory bash. All have been creased by hand, or have never been creased. If your hat was purchased already creased (and you are happy with it) there is no reason to mess with it. If you don't like the crease (or just want to experiment with another look) it can usually be changed quite easily. Most of my fedoras can be altered dry using just the fingers. Others may crease better using a little steam or water.

I'm one of those who prefer the organic look as mentioned above. ;)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bradford said:

I have about 5 hats now and every one has come with already bashed from the hat stores where they have been purchased.

I'm just curious as to why so many people talk about doing their own bashing?
I'm with you. I like the properly "blocked" look. It looks more decided rather than less decided. But, here you have a lot of do-it-yourselfers who get into all the work of steaming and shaping a hat. I guess if it's fun for them, why not? Myself, I look at hand blocking as similar to making your own wine and beer. It can be done, but I would rather just go buy it.

Viper Man

Banned
It's much easier to bash a hat with good quality felt. I have a vintage Cavanagh with the most wonderful felt I have ever handled. It's soft but firm and will dry shape very easily so when I had it professionally cleaned & blocked, I asked for an open crown so I could change my crease everytime I wear it. On some days I bash it into a porkpie and on other days it has a teardrop or maybe a center crease. I like the variety this hat provides!

Rauha

New in Town
I have a question I posted elsewhere, but realized it wasn't the best place for it, so here goes:

Does anyone know where in the world this sort of style of clothing, with nice feminine dresses, gentlemanly hats and suits, etc. can still be found as a matter of normal social dress?

The only places I've seen it to any extent (except for individualists) is in Eastern Europe, such as Prague, Krakow, Budapest, and parts of Russia. The women there dress very feminine (especially Russia) and the men tend to really dress to the nines, if they can afford to. I used to wear a nice fedora (an antique from Luxembourg) when I lived in Prague, and I felt right at home doing so.

Would love to hear others' experiences, or if there is a thread covering this, please provide a link, so I can derive some hope!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
With the exception of Krakow, I've been to all of those places, and to me, they're all trying as hard as they can to look American. In Moscow, my wife and I couldn't keep count of how many 6 foot, fake blonds in high boots were walking around in see-through white carpris with thongs crawling up the back. Everyone in Prague seems to go clubbing at 8 on the dot, wearing the same stupid club clothes they wear everywhere.

Maybe you hang around nicer places than I do but, if anything, I saw people who had lived under the soviets making up for lost, wild time.

Rauha

New in Town
I haven't been living over in Eastern Europe in almost 15 years now, so things must have changed. There was certainly a trashy element then amongst some of the women, especially those around clubs, but nice everyday wholesome ladies would never be caught outside without a nice dress, makeup and high heels, even in the dead of winter with a foot of snow on the ground. It was something to behold, given our American propensity for all things casual and "practical".lol

danofarlington

Rauha said:
I have a question I posted elsewhere, but realized it wasn't the best place for it, so here goes:

Does anyone know where in the world this sort of style of clothing, with nice feminine dresses, gentlemanly hats and suits, etc. can still be found as a matter of normal social dress?

The only places I've seen it to any extent (except for individualists) is in Eastern Europe, such as Prague, Krakow, Budapest, and parts of Russia. The women there dress very feminine (especially Russia) and the men tend to really dress to the nines, if they can afford to. I used to wear a nice fedora (an antique from Luxembourg) when I lived in Prague, and I felt right at home doing so.

Would love to hear others' experiences, or if there is a thread covering this, please provide a link, so I can derive some hope!
You are seeking the Brigadoon of hats. Only a time machine will get you there. Maybe we are creating a new one here in America, side by side with our fewer friends in Western Europe and Australia. As Lefty says other countries in many cases copy Americans, so that's no help for what you're looking for. First, somebody somewhere has to make something cool, and then it will be copied.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
They primarily signify felt quality, and have changed significantly over time. There have been designations that have been added and dropped, and what they have meant changed over time - Royal in the 50s might be better than today's best designation. There are western designations (the Xs and others), dress felt designations (Royals and others), and some cross-overs, as in the Open Road models.

keox11

Familiar Face
akubra campcraft hat size more larger ???

hello :D

I just ordered an Akubra Campdraft on this site:

http://www.thehatstore.com.au/shop/category/cat2308/Akubra.html

and apparently, they advised me to go a little larger than my usual hat size (60-61 cm) as the leather headband inside tend to tighten Up.

for those who know the Akubra Campdraft, I wanted to know how many size up should I take???

ps: apparently, he must wait three months for this hat!!! :rage:
Can not we get it before on another site???

thank you

johnnycanuck

True. But they can order in whatever colour you want. Unfortunately you will be back to a three month wait, fortunately they sell the same hat for less.
Johnny

Bill Greene

One of the Regulars
Ribbon in small quantities

Anybody got a lead on a ribbon supplier that will sell in just a few yards at a time? I'm just now starting the process of making a few hats (for fun only) and everyone I've seen wants to sell significant amounts. Thanks.

Bill

Spats McGee

One Too Many
@keox -- You might also take a look at Everything Australian (http://everythingaustralian.com.au/). They tend to be a little cheaper and a little slower than Hats Direct, but my experience with shopping with them has been very good. Naturally, if it's a special order color, you'll still have to deal with the 3 month wait, but I do think they might carry some colors that HD does not.

@ Bill Greene -- You might just check the local fabric store. I went to one and just bought a mixed bag of ribbons. They weren't all appropriate for hat ribbon, but some were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany