Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fedoracentric

Banned
It would have been possible to ask the question above without mentioning the eBay auction at all in the query. That would probably have been a safer bet.

Agreed. The question wasn't the issue. It was the note that it was a current auction that riled.

The point is, some of us around here don't have the kind of money to throw a $600 bid in to be sure to outbid everyone regardless of what the hat is worth. Some of us hope that auctions get as little attention as possible because we simply aren't rich enough to compete with deep pockets. And the more people who are made aware of a live auction, the more chances that one of those blowout bidders will see it when he just might not have seen it beforehand.

To me it is being considerate of others not to post about live auctions even when it is a hat I am not interested in simply because I don't want to be responsible for advertising auctions too much and hurting others' chances of winning the hat.

I guess the closest thing I can liken it to is being a tattletale (though that isn't a perfect analogy).

Anyway, I know some agree with me and some do not. But that some do not won't change my mind, nor does it eliminate my right to that opinion.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
It's a strange morality.
Indeed a strange morality that finds it acceptable to berate and insult others over a matter of being so-called "considerate." Courtesy must extend in both directions, even when one feels put out. In fact, these moments are the ones where it is even more important to be gentle and kind since the fallout can be so much more rude.

A

buler

I'll Lock Up
I thought it would be fun to post a question (actually 2) and also try to answer my own questions.

What are the possible reasons for posting a live auction?

What might the consequences of posting a live auction be?

1. I'm going to post this live auction to help out my friends on the lounge

- you may post an auction that someone ends up being interested in, but they also know that all of the hat guys now know about the auction

- you may make someone who was already interested in the auction mad because now all of the hat guys now know about the auction

- you will annoy many lounge members who frequent the hat section and frown upon the posting of live auctions

- you could have PM'd specific lounge members about the auction because you know they are this hat size or are interested in this type of hat

2. I have an interest in a live auction and would like to know more about this hat

- you may be like most people and would like to get a good price on the auction but may have just increased the final auction price because
now all of the hat guys know about the auction

- you may or may not get your question(s) answered and the answer(s) may or may not be correct or helpful

- you may make someone who was already interested in the auction mad because now all of the hat guys now know about the auction

- you will annoy many lounge members who frequent the hat section and frown upon the posting of live auctions

- you could have tried asking a question without direct reference to the auction or ebay

- you could have PM'd someone with the question(s)

3. You see an auction that you believe is humorous or grossly overpriced and want to share

- you may get a laugh

- you might still annoy lounge members who have also seen the aution and are hoping the item is relisted at a lower price

4.You are inconsiderate and know that posting a live auction will annoy many lounge members

- seek help

I know the punctuation is bad. Berate me, if you feel the need.

B

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I don't think, the opinion is what triggers people. Maybe the serving was found to be a bit ... excentric. Most people love applepie, but drowned in hot-sauce, it's a dish for the few ;)

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
There is no way my desire to ask a question about the "hat" was to cause anyone a difficulty in winning an auction. My thoughts did not include such when asking the question to begin with. In some past reading along the course of my Husband posting and my looking over his shoulder to read what has been ongoing, at times I have seen loungers state they had "dibbs" on a hat, during an ongoing auction and later found they still did not win the auction.

As Alan stated, the question could have been asked when there was no auction. I was not "tracking" the hat, did not intend on bidding on the hat, merely seeking information about it. There was no intent on raining on anyone's parade here. However, anyone could have included that as an auction is still "live" (if that were the case) please allow some fellow members the chance to secretly bid on it, to aide them in a possible victory. I can see Alan or most other loungers here making that statement. But I do not see but one person being rude and not considerate. If my own purchase interests were different at the moment, given the clear anger and rudeness displayed, I would be very tempted to find that listing and bid an amount most likely to not be challenged from anyone else, put the hat on the "new hats" part of the fedora lounge, and then give it away to anyone that had been a kind, and proper person...merely to drive a point home to one person that seems to miss the boat on how to conduct themselves in a proper manner, be it here on this part of the lounge or anywhere else.

I can thank the morality of the majority here. But please if someone decides to dig a hole deeper yet, it appears they already have the shovel in hand and lets allow them to reap from what blisters they elect to procure.

There is no one I can think of on the lounge, that can have made an honest statement that I do not care or have consideration to others. If anything, my actions (as well as my Husbands) have always been to give to anyone that needs something, and many times at our own expense.

If being "considerate" is only defined by not making any mention of a auction here on this thread is how it is to be defined, then we best call up webster's dictionary and have them change that without haste!

I can agree no one desires to see if they have a money tree for bidding on an auction....but given the entire parameters of dislike and anger, perhaps asking the bartenders to change the heading of this part of the Lounge needs to be "ask a question and get an answer but only according to a handful's opinions, desires, at the risk of being rudely attacked for asking such". Long title they will need to change it to, but have the faith and courage to ask and see if they desire to do so. If not, I am more than willing to take the effort and see what they think. You have acted as if my desire was to rob your bank, which sadly was not and would not really be the case.

fedoracentric

Banned
I thought it would be fun to post a question (actually 2) and also try to answer my own questions...

Many good points, Mr. Buler

People should read your post. Note that Buler pointed out that in nearly every case posting about a live auction will "annoy many lounge members."

I'd also like to warn against anyone's feeling that "well it's on ebay and everyone saw it, anyway."

This is not a factual argument to make. You can find dozens of posts on this board where one lounger or another said something to the effect of "wow, I missed that auction."

So, no, every auction is not seen by every lounger.

There is one exception (for me, anyway) about posting a live auction. When it is your own hat you are trying to sell it makes sense to me that you'd post the live auction link. After all, if it is your hat you are selling you would post a link because you are trying to get as much cash as possible out of the hat.

And the latter is precisely why many here don't like the odd live auction link posted. It's because it drives up the price. This, as it happens is bad for all of us trying to buy hats here, by the way! The higher the prices go, the more people are shut out of buying and wearing hats and the more we winnow down our membership!

T Rick

Practically Family
Many good points, Mr. Buler

People should read your post. Note that Buler pointed out that in nearly every case posting about a live auction will "annoy many lounge members."

I'd also like to warn against anyone's feeling that "well it's on ebay and everyone saw it, anyway."

This is not a factual argument to make. You can find dozens of posts on this board where one lounger or another said something to the effect of "wow, I missed that auction."

So, no, every auction is not seen by every lounger.

There is one exception (for me, anyway) about posting a live auction. When it is your own hat you are trying to sell it makes sense to me that you'd post the live auction link. After all, if it is your hat you are selling you would post a link because you are trying to get as much cash as possible out of the hat.

And the latter is precisely why many here don't like the odd live auction link posted. It's because it drives up the price. This, as it happens is bad for all of us trying to buy hats here, by the way! The higher the prices go, the more people are shut out of buying and wearing hats and the more we winnow down our membership!

Could not agree with the above more. I saw a mention of a hat on eBay the other day (in passing) and rolled my eyes... Many will spend hours searching for deals, and one mention on a board full of enthusiasts such as this one can preclude those who searched winning the auction. Case in point, two vintage Stratoliners that I own. One, the Seller simply neglected to prominently advertise it as such, though it was mentioned in the ad body and shown in the pics. The other was misspelled. I got each for around $120 as I recall, and there is NO WAY they'd have gone for under $200 (which I'd not have paid) if they'd been mentioned here.

Even mentioning an auction before it closes is IMHO likely to cause more competition for the hat, even without posting a link. JMHO, but I prefer seeing discussion of auctions only after they've closed (likely fraudulent auctions are the exception).

Lotsahats

One Too Many
All the reasons some might find compelling to avoid it do not change two things: 1) posting live links is completely within the rules of the lounge; 2) objections to the rules of the board do not excuse boorish behavior.

A

fedoracentric

Banned
T Rick is right.

It should also be noted that the OK to post live links is a recent change in the board rules. It used to be against the rules here to post live links or talk about live auctions for exactly the reasons that Rick noted.

So, there is obviously a large group here against talking of or linking to live auctions quite regardless of current board rules. If one is all worried about avoiding conflict it might behoove one to avoid posting live links or talking of live auctions just to prevent that problem.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
No, it is not appropriate to say that people should avoid an allowed behavior just so they won't be bullied or yelled at. That's condoning abusive behavior--and abusive behavior is clearly against the rules of this board. Better for those who object to send polite private messages with a genteel request; that way, people are following the rules all around.

Right you are, FCentric! But Boorish public berating of others that simply might not know, for whatever reason, isn't the way to build consensus, camaraderie, or any kind of community, you think? There is obviously an even LARGER group who prefer polite, respectful exchange. It's a challenge for some of us, but I'm learning...

fedoracentric

Banned
No, it is not appropriate to say that people should avoid an allowed behavior just so they won't be bullied or yelled at. That's condoning abusive behavior--and abusive behavior is clearly against the rules of this board. Better for those who object to send polite private messages with a genteel request; that way, people are following the rules all around.

Which could have been said in a private message to avoid bullying or yelling at someone. I see how it should work. But not all seem ready to follow their own rules I guess.
[huh]

Anyway, we should get back to the purpose of this thread. Ask a question, get an answer.

Which could have been said in a private message to avoid bullying or yelling at someone. I see how it should work...

Right again, like the PM I sent to you when you came after me on my naïve post of an auction. Now that you see how it should work, try it next time you are disturbed by someone here, or wherever. Everyone will be happier. To be Happy, happy, HAPPY. That's all we're looking for. Not critical, critical, critical. :grouphug:

fedoracentric

Banned
Right again, like the PM I sent to you when ...

Which message is apparently now no longer private.
LOL

And I'll note you've now posted about a dozen posts on this thread calling me names and I haven't responded in kind yet.

You are not looking for "happy." You are looking for people to agree with you.

Me, I am just stating my position and those who agree do and those who don't, don't.

Now, I say again, back to questions...

Again, I thank you for your infinite benevolence, kind words.

And, please be so kind as to show our fans exactly where I called you names...? Obviously I wasn't aware of the infraction, but very much want to correct my evil ways.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk