Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
How deep is the imprint of the sweatband bow on your forehead?

If it doesn't bother you, it won't bother anyone else.

Haha! I thought about that, and surprisingly, I can't feel it. Worse was the oxidized copper pin that connected the sweatband - scraped off as much of that as I could.

Thanks - given how much difficulty I've had re-attaching sweats and ribbons (and this one also has a wind chord), I'll go with the womanish look with this one.

fedoracentric

Banned
...I'll go with the womanish look with this one.

These days, it isn't likely many will notice. When I was briefly considering getting a hat like Tim Olyphant on "Justified" I realized that for a season or two they had his leather hat band with the buckle on the wrong side of the hat. So, if tough guy Raylan Givens can wear his hat like a woman.... well, you know.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
These days, it isn't likely many will notice. When I was briefly considering getting a hat like Tim Olyphant on "Justified" I realized that for a season or two they had his leather hat band with the buckle on the wrong side of the hat. So, if tough guy Raylan Givens can wear his hat like a woman.... well, you know.

Interesting you should bring up Olyphant. It's actually weirder than you describe - in a single episode of "Deadwood" I caught him with the bow on both sides of his hat. I think he actually wore the same hat backward every now and then - I have watched most of "Justified" and never noticed he did it in that show as well.

Thanks guys - I'm back to feeling almost manly.

Interesting you should bring up Olyphant. It's actually weirder than you describe - in a single episode of "Deadwood" I caught him with the bow on both sides of his hat. I think he actually wore the same hat backward every now and then - I have watched most of "Justified" and never noticed he did it in that show as well.

Thanks guys - I'm back to feeling almost manly.

In Justified, they reversed the film images more than had the hatband on the wrong way. Happened mostly in episodes of Season 1 as I recall.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Q: what's with back-bows? I notice them on some vintage and custom pork pies. Which I'm now in the market for. Bit I'm used to hatband bows being on the left side. I associate bows on the back with women's hats. Something I don't know about back bows on men's hats??

fedoracentric

Banned
As John Galt noted, it seems the back bow for men was only popular for a short time, once in the 20s and then again in the late 50s. I agree with you, though. There seems to be something a bit "off" about a back bow on a man's hat.

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As John Galt noted, it seems the back bow for men was only popular for a short time, once in the 20s and then again in the late 50s. I agree with you, though. There seems to be something a bit "off" about a back bow on a man's hat.

I like back bows on pork pies, but I'm not so convinced on other styles.

viclip

Practically Family
I've got a couple of liner replacement projects on the go. I need to re-insert the liner from a Biltmore western that I was was able to peel out while wet & washed up in order to remove dye staining; plus I've got a liner coming from the goodly ManOfKent to retrofit into an unfinished Beaver Brand homburg. I get the impression that liners are generally glued in these days rather than sewn in place, using a thick glue which doesn't penetrate into the body of the fur felt.

Can someone recommend the adhesive which I should use?

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a couple of liner replacement projects on the go. I need to re-insert the liner from a Biltmore western that I was was able to peel out while wet & washed up in order to remove dye staining; plus I've got a liner coming from the goodly ManOfKent to retrofit into an unfinished Beaver Brand homburg. I get the impression that liners are generally glued in these days rather than sewn in place, using a thick glue which doesn't penetrate into the body of the fur felt.

Can someone recommend the adhesive which I should use?

I'd stitch it, but if you want to use glue, spray glue sprayed onto a scrap of foil and transferred with a sliver of wood before it drys should work.

fedoracentric

Banned
That is what they use at HatCo Garland factory....
I did not know that. I've used a hot glue gun, too. I like it because it seals quick and does not fall apart but can still be carefully unglued. The glue rolls up and can be removed easily without damaging the inside of the hat or ruining and staining the liner.

viclip

Practically Family
I've got a hot glue gun which I've never used, maybe the time has come to try it out. It makes sense that the hot glue wouldn't penetrate the felt (heaven forbid!). As I recall, there are 3 different strength levels of glue sticks included with the kit. I presume that I should be using the weakest adhering stick in case I ever need to remove the liner in the future.

Thx all!

fedoracentric

Banned
I presume that I should be using the weakest adhering stick in case I ever need to remove the liner in the future.

Thx all!

That is what I do, use the weakest glue. You just want to tack it and the liner doesn't take a lot of jostling and pressure that you'd need a stronger glue. It just has to lightly hold it there. I just use a little round dab in about four places around the inside of the hat. One at the forehead, one aft, one either side.

Matthewlawson3

New in Town
Probably so but it is hard to say without seeing pictures of the liners. If you can post some pictures that would help.

Here are some pictures. The Stetson Saxon Cordova is the one with the Golden Crest and the Saxon Midnight is the other crest.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mn56y4c432zs8hz/2014-08-14 16.32.11.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g73ujgywtx2usje/2014-08-14 16.32.05.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mimlenc4pin4lr1/2014-08-14 16.31.07.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3yj6h3ist6b03s/2014-08-14 16.31.39.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic