Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
anyone know anything about the #81 hat block ?

just picked up a 5 1/2 7 1/4

snagged it because it looked nice and straight ... but if anyone knows anything about them that would be great

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
this is the block I just bought ... looks pretty straight to me

but pics can be deceiving .. we shall see when it gets here

block.jpg

block2.jpg

this is the block I just bought ... looks pretty straight to me

but pics can be deceiving .. we shall see when it gets here

block.jpg

block2.jpg

I think it looks darn near perfect, but could be a half-inch higher. I'm sure I'm telling you something you already know, but you do realize none of your 7 1/4 hats can be blocked on that with the sweat in, right?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
it measures about a 1/4" smaller than all my hats with the sweat at its base ... that is if the sellers measurements are accurate

that is the reason I took a chance on it

Last edited:
I picked up a straight block in a 7 1/2 and have sanded it down to fit my 7 3/8. Shaved more off the sides to make it match a more long oval. It works great but probably not saleable any more unless I find a buyer willing to risk the match.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Hi,

Does anyone own an Akubra Coober Pedy in black?

I have it in Sand and BGG and I am thinking about buying one in black, so I am looking for some feedback from anyone who owns it !!

Thanks im advance for your help.

Sincerely.

Rodolfo

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lower a fedoras crown? I have a hat that I really like but the open crown measures 6 inches. I would like it to measure 5 1/2. Any help is appreciated.

you are wearing it open crown ?

any bash will take an inch at the very least off the open crown height ... and you can make it as low as you like

low is sacrilege to me ... but you could easily drop a 6" open crown down to 4" or less with the right bash

as much as it hurts for me to type that

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
you are wearing it open crown ?

any bash will take an inch at the very least off the open crown height ... and you can make it as low as you like

low is sacrilege to me ... but you could easily drop a 6" open crown down to 4" or less with the right bash

as much as it hurts for me to type that

Thats the problem I am not wearing it open crown & I have it creased the way I like it. I was thinking more along the line of shrinking the crown height. If that makes any sense.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thats the problem I am not wearing it open crown & I have it creased the way I like it. I was thinking more along the line of shrinking the crown height. If that makes any sense.

if you can put a picture up I can possibly help you

you can always manipulate crown height with a bash

shrinkage is possible in a way but it can affect the integrity of the hat ... I don't recommend attempting to shrink the crown

if you do not like a high crown why did you buy a 6" crown ?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
if you can put a picture up I can possibly help you

you can always manipulate crown height with a bash

shrinkage is possible in a way but it can affect the integrity of the hat ... I don't recommend attempting to shrink the crown

if you do not like a high crown why did you buy a 6" crown ?

It was made wrong & I didn't notice in time.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
a 6" crown is very desirable and versatile

I would give the high crown a little time ... live with it a few days

I would bet that it looks better than you think at the present time

can we get a pic ?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The only good way to reduce the height of a crown is to have the hat completely stripped down and reblocked to a shorter height. This will, however, increase the width of the brim by the same amount you shortened the height. It also can be extremely difficult to remove all traces of the former brim break. The best alternative to find a different crease that reduce the height, either a telescope crease or a deeper center crease.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy