Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
I have the thread, needle and correct ribbon to handsew an edge on one of my hats. I also have pages of help files from the internet on this. My question is: what type of stitch should I be using please?

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Hat Boxes

I've ordered some hats that didn't come with hat boxes.So I'd like to buy some hat boxes but I can't seem to find any for sale.Does anyone know of websites that sells hat boxes?

rjenkins

New in Town
Hi Blackbrim,

try searching for 'Hat Cans'

As I understand it, Hat boxes are only intended for initial shipping, the Hat Can is designed for storing a hat without it being damaged or it's shape being distorted.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Hat Ads

There was a post about a neat Knox advertisement which was somehting like "Knox hats are great! Oh, and by the way, don't wear a blue hat with a black suit, don't wear a gray hat with a brown coat, etc." but... I can't find it now. Anyone know which link I can find it in?

BlackBrim said:
I've ordered some hats that didn't come with hat boxes.So I'd like to buy some hat boxes but I can't seem to find any for sale.Does anyone know of websites that sells hat boxes?
From "How Do You Store Your Hats" thread....
mayserwegener said:
I get my boxes (typical hat store box) and plastic protectors from Capas. You have order 30 boxes at a time. Total cost around $140.00 with shipping. They are wholesale oriented and a bit difficult to deal with on the phone so be warned.

http://www.capasheadwear.com/

2manyhats

Familiar Face
Dating vintage Knox?

Is there a proper place on here, where i can post pics of my new Knox Twenty and get help on possible dating it?

thanks guys.:)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Okay, so I am thinking of buying the 2010 Stetson Mercury... but here is the thing, the hat's I'm used to are mostly stingy. The one I wear now is a one and a half inch brim and this Mercury model has a two inch brim.

Is that a huge leap? It doesn't seem so to me, but then again, what do I know? Oh and the only way I can get this hat is via online, and that's due to living in Alaska.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Mr Vim said:
Okay, so I am thinking of buying the 2010 Stetson Mercury... but here is the thing, the hat's I'm used to are mostly stingy. The one I wear now is a one and a half inch brim and this Mercury model has a two inch brim.

Is that a huge leap? It doesn't seem so to me, but then again, what do I know? Oh and the only way I can get this hat is via online, and that's due to living in Alaska.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

From my experience the first time you put a 2 inch brim on your noodle it will look to you much like a beach umbrella......but only the first time.
Tom D.

My above observation held true to me every time I increased the width of the brim until I starting wearing a 3 1/2 inch western doing yard work. Now I would feel comfortable wearing the beach umbrella. We are adaptable creatures.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Wynewood fedora?

Picked this one up from eBay a couple weeks ago. Anyone hear of them before? The hat is quite dirty (the pictures are too light), so is it worth the money to have cleaned and reblocked?

Thanks,

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
St.Ignatz said:
From my experience the first time you put a 2 inch brim on your noodle it will look to you much like a beach umbrella......but only the first time.
Tom D.

My above observation held true to me every time I increased the width of the brim until I starting wearing a 3 1/2 inch western doing yard work. Now I would feel comfortable wearing the beach umbrella. We are adaptable creatures.

Well spoken Tom. It worked in reverse for me. I have shrunk my brims from 2 3/4 to 3 inches of comfort zone to where I can wear a 2 1/4 inch with no problem. Not going any lower though........it becomes stingy territory and we have laws about that in Texas! :D

2manyhats

Familiar Face
The White House Raphael Weill & Company?

Found one online and it looks nice, but I have only seen rlk post about one on Homburg Nation thread. Does anybody know more about The White House Raphael Weill & Company?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
2manyhats said:
Found one online and it looks nice, but I have only seen rlk post about one on Homburg Nation thread. Does anybody know more about The White House Raphael Weill & Company?
They were open from 1854-1965, although Mr Weill died in 1920. Originally a full department store. They sold high quality goods but did not manufacture the hats themselves. A few I've seen were of British Manufacture. This makes it difficult to judge except on an individual item basis. There is much more about its earlier history available than later years.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
Well spoken Tom. It worked in reverse for me. I have shrunk my brims from 2 3/4 to 3 inches of comfort zone to where I can wear a 2 1/4 inch with no problem. Not going any lower though........it becomes stingy territory and we have laws about that in Texas! :D

Maybe you could just wear it in Austin.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
rlk said:
They were open from 1854-1965, although Mr Weill died in 1920. Originally a full department store. They sold high quality goods but did not manufacture the hats themselves. A few I've seen were of British Manufacture. This makes it difficult to judge except on an individual item basis. There is much more about its earlier history available than later years.
Thanks rlk, could you post what yours looks like?
Also, where the heck do you guys get all this info? I searched the company and found that it sold dry goods!:eusa_doh: lol...unless bric-a-brac has something to do with hats?[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925