Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
2manyhats said:
Thanks rlk, could you post what yours looks like?
Also, where the heck do you guys get all this info? I searched the company and found that it sold dry goods!:eusa_doh: lol...unless bric-a-brac has something to do with hats?[huh]
The only one I own is the Rust Brown Homburg that you mentioned finding. It is a beautiful hat with top quality felt. A few have turned up on ebay the last couple of years but they haven't been my size and/or style.
Here's a link with a bit of history and two photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnesmuseum/sets/72157622412415627/

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Derek WC said:
. . . .Also, where can I get a fedora for under $80?
Depends on what you want. Fur or wool? New or vintage? Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Also, maybe on ebay, depending on what you're looking for and in what size.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
Derek WC said:
How does one find their hat size? My head measures 23 inches.

Also, where can I get a fedora for under $80?

Visit thrift and consignment stores regularly...you will get lucky once in a while. A few months ago I found a black 4X beaver which I converted to 2 1/2 brim with black ribbon. Last week I found a kitten finish with feather and "kitten" pin, 2 inch brimmed Resistol Fedora...both in my size!:)

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Derek WC said:
How does one find their hat size? My head measures 23 inches.

I urge you to go to a good hat store and try on some hats before you select one to buy. Your hat size would be roughly 7-3/8, but a great deal depends on how you will wear your hat, viz.: on the back of your head, down on your forehead near your eyebrows, cocked to the side, low down on your ears, higher up on your head, etc.

You could go to John Helmer in Portland, Oregon. He is recommended on the "Hat Stores-a list" thread.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
mike sullivan said:
any tips for matching a hat to a suit?

I think that one of the best resources for exploring how hats can be paired with various outfits (suits, sportcoats, or otherwise) is the world of vintage hat advertising.

There are tons of vintage ads out there from Stetson, Mallory, Dobbs, etc., etc. Obviously, one of the main objects of these old ads was to illustrate how a particular hat might fit in with one's wardrobe. In fact, vintage Stetson ads literally had smaller illustrations at the bottom of the page specifically noting what kind of outfit might be suitably paired with the particular hat being advertised.

The old ads are a great catalogue depicting how particular styles and colors of hats worked with particular styles and colors of clothing.

Check 'em out! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You could also visit the Art of Manliness website, they have tips there for matching hats to your face shape, hair color, and all kinds of information about suits and what color hats to wear with them.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Badluck Brody said:
Anyone familiar with the Jaxon brand?

I was considering the Jaxon Bogart in gray...

Thanks in advance!

Find a lounger named Wyrd and PM him about it. He owns a Jaxon, though I think it's the C-crown version, or the Iconoclast...not sure which one.

At any rate, he liked it very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic