Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
much like americans call all cowboy hats a stetson, borsalino is any european catch all phrase
So true! Many Danes have no idea, that Stetson ever made anything but cowboy hats - and call most other felt hats "a Borsalino". Others may call a fedora "a soft hat" and a Homburg "a Borsalino". I have only heard very few Danish hat makers/retailers use the word "Homburg" - noone else around here does.

I guess, it's like standardized knitting- or lace-patterns. 100 years ago most people could name several - today most people can't name a single. Who cares about names, if next to nobody use "the stuff" in the first place?

Feebeemac

New in Town
Hello! I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the right place BUT....

Could anyone PLEASE provide me with some online straw suppliers for parisisal capelines/cones that are reasonably priced.
I am in Australia and have found Mannys in NY but am struggling to get an order placed with them...grr! Their website doesn't allow you to join if you're not in the US. But apparently they will ship internationally but getting the order placed is difficult. It's taking me back to 1994...lol.
There are of course Australian suppliers but they are more than double the price of Mannys...so I am guessing that there are more suppliers out there.. :)

Hello! I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the right place BUT....

Could anyone PLEASE provide me with some online straw suppliers for parisisal capelines/cones that are reasonably priced.
I am in Australia and have found Mannys in NY but am struggling to get an order placed with them...grr! Their website doesn't allow you to join if you're not in the US. But apparently they will ship internationally but getting the order placed is difficult. It's taking me back to 1994...lol.
There are of course Australian suppliers but they are more than double the price of Mannys...so I am guessing that there are more suppliers out there.. :)

Located in beautiful, sunny Fall River, Massachusetts, USA, possibly Korber Hats would supply what you need. Good luck!!

Any longtime residents of Harrisburg, PA with knowledge of Steelton? In the yrs before the Great Depression was Steelton an upscale area since it is not far from the Capital bldg? Was there a hatter or retailer (The Superb) there whom might have used the slogan, "Superior Finish"? I have an address of 103 Steelton which no longer comes up but all inquiries on Steelton lead to PA. Seeking info on any hatter or retailer there before the Great Depression.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps you can assist or direct me: What can I do to encourage a smooth shape with this vintage green Superlightweight Borsolino?

This is a magnificent vintage felted fedora. The felt is absolutely pristine, light weight, easily creased, interior details magnifique. I do wish to get the felt smooth and respectful of this hats qualities and heritage.

i-VQhmTfM-M.jpg

i-PxLpc3D-M.jpg

I have completed a complete cleaning/brushing. steamed blocking (wood block) and brim steaming (on a homemade brim shape - flange). Lots and lots of steam (Rowenta home steamer) have been used I thought to encourage the stiffener (shellac applied in the vintage Borsolino felts) to go to work. I worked nearly a dozen hats(Stetson, Adams, Stephens and Lee) today in this manner and they turned out dynamite.

Suggestions? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
have you tried ironing while on the block ? I've done this by recommendation of Tommy and had great results with rumpled hats
I have not. Hot clothing Iron on a damp cloth? I have seen that, but not done it.

I will give your suggestion a try Monday evening.

Frustrating as I believed I was doing everything I could. The felt is as clean or cleaner than when handed to the first of it's many owners. The insides are good for many decades of wear.

Thanks Anthony!

RJR

The above suggestion should work.My wife has pressing cloths that I use.I think a towel would work also.Steam iron over the cloth while the hat is on the block.Good luck.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
If the ironing on the block doesn't work I reckon you'll have to remove the ribbon & sweatband & reblock again. Looks to me like the felt has shrunk in places, particularly at the stitching (or prehaps the sweat has shrunk & crumpling the felt) either way I think the problem lies with something being too tight at the base of the crown.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Just iron it on a block.
Any clean cloth will do.
The best thing is to use both hands to smooth the felt flat a couple of times to pre flatten it. If not you can get little lines where you pressed on the crinkles.
Not in every case but I have experienced it.
Then press the cloth on to your felt and hold it smooth and then press with steam.
Try not to hit it too long.
Remove cloth and see if it stays flat.
Some felt can be stubborn so it may need a second try.

Really smoothing/pulling the felt with the ball off your hand will secure that it stays, it can sometimes sort of bounce back when it dries.

stephena310

One of the Regulars
Help - Help ! !
So I am new here and really rely upon the expertise of the group for advice.....

I recently sold a Stetson Saxon on Ebay that was too big on me....It was in great condition and I sold it for $56.00. However now the buyer wants to return it. He is claiming this:

"There is a defect in the material on this hat I verify that with a hatter co. that sells hats they said that they get this problem from time to time from the manufacture there is a bubble as noted on the hat which came from the making of the hat."

Can this be so or is this BS?

If this is so, How can I detect this in the future?

Help - Help ! !
So I am new here and really rely upon the expertise of the group for advice.....

I recently sold a Stetson Saxon on Ebay that was too big on me....It was in great condition and I sold it for $56.00. However now the buyer wants to return it. He is claiming this:

"There is a defect in the material on this hat I verify that with a hatter co. that sells hats they said that they get this problem from time to time from the manufacture there is a bubble as noted on the hat which came from the making of the hat."

Can this be so or is this BS?

If this is so, How can I detect this in the future?

I would ask him for clarification as to what the "bubble" is, what hatter he is referring to, and what type of defect he is referring to. I have yet to hear a hatter refer to a defect as a "bubble," but then, that doesn't mean there isn't something like that. Have them send you a photo of the defect.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Unfortunately, in cases where a buyer is unhappy for ANY reason, real or imagined, and even with a stated "no return" policy, ebay will always find in favor of the buyer. It's just the risk, and sometimes cost, of doing business in that particular sales medium.

stephena310

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately, in cases where a buyer is unhappy for ANY reason, real or imagined, and even with a stated "no return" policy, ebay will always find in favor of the buyer. It's just the risk, and sometimes cost, of doing business in that particular sales medium.
Thanks for the info...
Yes, I am well aware of the Ebay/Paypal racketeering efforts.....The buyer is always right, no matter what the reason, real or imagined.......! (I have a bay account with nearly 1000 successful transactons, and the bay/paypal with the help of two different "buyers" defrauded me of not only the money, but kept the merchandise as well ! )

I was mostly looking for your expertise regarding to a "bubble", as I have never heard of, nor seen such a thing...but then I am still a "newbie", so I wanted more experienced ones to weigh in and let me know if this is a "real" or memorex complaint ! I will ask the buyer the questions you have suggested....Usually it is a ploy to get a "discount on the sale" and I have offered him $20.00 off, but we will see how he responds !

Also, I would love to know what a charcoal Stetson Saxon in great condition (no bites, no stains, no marks or nicks or anything anywhere....Should sell for???? I saw the pricing on Ebay between $150 - 70 - so I thought $56.00 was a good price.....I am open to suggestions....? I am selling it because it was just the wrong size !

Anyone else want to weigh in ????????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot