Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Sounds to me you're looking for a Trilby. :rolleyes:

2. RJR

RJR

Fedora seeker,I am a 7 5/8 as well.If you browse various threads one thing I can pretty well guarantee is that your tastes will evolve over time.I believe most will suggest that you'll move to larger brims and taller,straighter crowns.
    You don't say where you're located but if at all possible a visit to a brick and mortar hat store would help you try several styles.

3. makitright

makitright One of the Regulars

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 10.04.07 AM.png
    Fedora Seeker - does this one suit you? I have a Dobb 40 like this almost exactly - tall crown with small brim - the felt being a 40 shapes very easily - so you can do anything you want to the brim.

4. FedoraSeeker

FedoraSeeker New in Town

5. makitright

You could shape the one above to look like the Curtis one or the Berman one you showed earlier. Let me know if you want this one.

6. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's a 'TRILBY' :D google it.

Bob Roberts likes this.
  7. FedoraSeeker

FedoraSeeker New in Town

8. makitright

I am not sure why I am not getting through - let me try again.

Fedoraseeker - would you like to buy the hat I put in my first post to you - I will sell this to you - you can buy it from me - it seems to be what you are looking for and it is a 7 5/8 size...

Did you get that?

FedoraSeeker likes this.
  9. Redfokker

Redfokker

I think you can find this type of hat on Ebay any day of the week. The higher priced, hard to capture hats are of an older vintage with a noticeably wider brim. The size issue will probably be one of your greatest challenges. If you want a hat that looks 1962, buy one that has a equal pedigree. New manufacture is one avenue, but the feel of a 1960s Cavanagh or Mallory cannot compare.
    [​IMG]

stephena310 and jlee562 like this.
  10. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

If you have more money than you know what to do with, call Optimo. They'll make you the nicest stingy brim you'll ever see.

11. FedoraSeeker

FedoraSeeker New in Town

Yes. I would be interested in purchasing. Please post some additional pictures of the actual 7 5/ 8 fedora rather than the one that is similar... It does appear that a TRILBY is what I am looking for rather than a fedora- Thanks for the clarification! I assume the pictures of Tony Curtis, Shelley Berman, and Tom Landry show them wearing a TRILBY rather than a fedora as well?

12. makitright

Yes those are all Trilbys. The basic difference of a trilby is it is essentially a fedora with a much smaller brim - usually under 2 inches. I will send pics later on when I get to the hat.

Bob Roberts likes this.
  13. Bigger Don

Bigger Don Practically Family

Don't apologize! I think most people start with less expensive hats. I'm new to hat wearing and started with a couple of far-less-than-primo pseudo-fedoras, one from a company better known for their underwear (Duluth Trading) and the other from a sporting goods chain (Bass Pro/Outdoor World). Now that I'm accustomed to wearing a hat, and the added attention, I'm waiting for a bespoke from a local hat maker.
    Do you have access to any hat shops where you live, or close enough for a nice day trip? If so, go in and try on a few.

14. Bigger Don

I'm not certain of the cost of an Optimo (I'm new to the hat thing) but I'm certain we have a member or two here who would fit the bill, and he might be able to get a second for the price. ...or there was someone in LA looking to charge about a grand for a bespoke.

15. Bigger Don

Dayum...if it's available a few months from now, after the home CFO recovers from the bespoke I've got in the works, I might be in the market for that as something different.

16. makitright

FedoraSeeker - the 2 trilby's that I have for sale.

The lighter one is a Champ. The darker brown is a Dobbs 20.

I put a bit of a pencil curl into the brims for a bit of flare - that would be easily removed if you don't like it.

The direct harse LED lighting doesn't make for great photo's. Both are in excellent felt condition. The Dobbs needs to be brushed obviously.

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.20.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.21.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.20.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.25.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.26.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.21.06 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    stephena310 and FedoraSeeker like this.
  17. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

So I have this Mallory hat.
    [​IMG]Mallory Fur Felt Fedora Hat by Michael A2012, on Flickr

And what I'm wondering is what this type of felt making is called,
    [​IMG]Mallory Fur Felt Fedora Hat by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Where it appears they mixed fur dyed two different colors together to make the felt. If one were making cloth and mixed two or more colors of fleece before spinning you would be making tweed. Is there an analogous name in felt making?

Thanks,
    Michael

18. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Heathered felt. Borsalino also referred to it as a "misto" finish.

Bob Roberts and Michael A like this.
  19. the soupman

the soupman New in Town

I was hoping that someone could please let me know about this fedora. Inside of the hat is written Wilke Julius Keudel Nachf, Berg.1866 Witten. Thank You

20. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Thanks Jared. That name would seem to make a direct link to tweed since the tweed technique evolved to represent the heather covered landscapes of northern Scotland. In any case I like the effect in this hat.

Thanks,
    Michael