Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hi folks, I'm looking for some instructions on how to make grosgrain hat bands and the bows. I can't seem to find any video tutorials anywhere and I really don't want to reverse engineer my vintage hats and mess them up. Are the bands and bows one continuous piece of ribbon or are they separate and how exactly do they connect together, and to the hat?
Thanks in advance for any info.

a few people you can contact for educated info... all of these people do fantastic ribbon and bow work

@EstherWeis
@Art Fawcett
@Gannon Hat Company
@Cane Rod Maker
@bond
@moehawk
@bendingoak
@DOGMAN

emigran

Practically Family
OK ... some while back there was shown here at FL a HAT STORAGE THINGIE... It was plastic with multiple clear (zippered (if I remember) compartments that that could be hung on a rack or closet... anyone remember where or what...!?!?
Thanks all...

OK ... some while back there was shown here at FL a HAT STORAGE THINGIE... It was plastic with multiple clear (zippered (if I remember) compartments that that could be hung on a rack or closet... anyone remember where or what...!?!?
Thanks all...

Like this?

We have a couple. Seems to be iffy for anything with a decent brim, though, unless you mind them being curled.

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
Hello folks. My name is Jeremiah and I am also a member at COW. So maybe some of you will know me from there. I recently picked up off eBay a vintage Dobbs.
Has the corrugated sweat band near the bow. Has a $20 price under the sweat from Jim Patterson of Sacramento CA.
It's in the post as I write this headed my way.
My question is, my two vintage Borsolinos feel like velvet or chamois. What can I expect the Dobbs to feel like in comparison?
The Dobbs has the "Dobbs edge" and here is an eBay pic. Pretty beat up but I like the look.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 105

RJR

Hello folks. My name is Jeremiah and I am also a member at COW. So maybe some of you will know me from there. I recently picked up off eBay a vintage Dobbs.
Has the corrugated sweat band near the bow. Has a $20 price under the sweat from Jim Patterson of Sacramento CA.
It's in the post as I write this headed my way.
My question is, my two vintage Borsolinos feel like velvet or chamois. What can I expect the Dobbs to feel like in comparison?
The Dobbs has the "Dobbs edge" and here is an eBay pic. Pretty beat up but I like the look.
It ought to be quality felt,but my guess is it won't be anywhere near as nice as the Borsos.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Who's got opinions about hat jacks/stretchers? What should I look for and avoid?

I see some in cedar, which sounds good for off season storage, IOW discouraging moths.

Some seem taller than others. Important?

Some come in different size ranges. My guess is that impacts both the length of the screw mechanism as well as the arc of two ends. These are about $20, give or take.

Which gets me to thinking about head shape. Is there anything special I should consider as an 7 5/8 XLO?

I see one that is (supposedly) custom made for $70, which may help with my extremely oddly shaped head.

Thoughts?

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
Who's got opinions about hat jacks/stretchers? What should I look for and avoid?

I see some in cedar, which sounds good for off season storage, IOW discouraging moths.

Some seem taller than others. Important?

Some come in different size ranges. My guess is that impacts both the length of the screw mechanism as well as the arc of two ends. These are about $20, give or take.

Which gets me to thinking about head shape. Is there anything special I should consider as an 7 5/8 XLO?

I see one that is (supposedly) custom made for $70, which may help with my extremely oddly shaped head.

Thoughts?

I know I am brand new here, but I do own one vintage hat size retainer. It's got a wide area to cover all of the sweat band, even the wider vintage ones.
I was told not to ever get the cheap plastic ones. You do have a good question with the shape but I think they are all generally the same. I got mine which is for smaller hats so make sure you don't get one that you would need to stretch you hat just to fit the thing inside.
Here is mine.

On a seperate note. Here is another Dobbs I picked up on eBay. 60s?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    987.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image.png
    image.png
    440.5 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 109

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I know I am brand new here, but I do own one vintage hat size retainer. It's got a wide area to cover all of the sweat band, even the wider vintage ones.
I was told not to ever get the cheap plastic ones. You do have a good question with the shape but I think they are all generally the same. I got mine which is for smaller hats so make sure you don't get one that you would need to stretch you hat just to fit the thing inside.
Here is mine.

On a seperate note. Here is another Dobbs I picked up on eBay. 60s?
is there a plastic protector over the tip?
and can you take a pic of the tip logo ?

looks to be 50s from what I can see

is your head really that small ?

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
is there a plastic protector over the tip?
and can you take a pic of the tip logo ?

looks to be 50s from what I can see

is your head really that small ?
Yes. Ha. I am a small guy.
Please excuse my ignorance but where and what is the tip logo?
I have this pic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 111

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner