Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hello everybody. This must get tiresome, but I cannot seem to get a picture attached to a post. I use photobucket and followed the instructions on this site for posting photo's, but I cannot see the pictures in my post. What am I missing or doing wrong?
Thank you.

RJR

Hello everybody. This must get tiresome, but I cannot seem to get a picture attached to a post. I use photobucket and followed the instructions on this site for posting photo's, but I cannot see the pictures in my post. What am I missing or doing wrong?
Thank you.
You must have a minimum number of posts I believe,maybe 15.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Are the flanges in this picture the appropriate style for doing Homburgs? These were once advertised as Bowler/Derby flanges.

Am I correct in assuming that the use of these flanges requires that you do not cut the brim down using a rounding jack but blocking the felt on the flange with blocking cord and then cutting the excess off after the shape holds?

Flange.jpg

EstherWeis

Vendor
Are the flanges in this picture the appropriate style for doing Homburgs? These were once advertised as Bowler/Derby flanges.

Am I correct in assuming that the use of these flanges requires that you do not cut the brim down using a rounding jack but blocking the felt on the flange with blocking cord and then cutting the excess off after the shape holds?

View attachment 63998

Some of them look like they could work. Not all. I'd have to see better pictures Kevin.

And you are correct. You do not need to jack. There will be a perfect ridge where you can either cut for a raw edge or bound edge. For an overwelt or underwelt leave some excess.

pedestrian

New in Town
A hat jack will maintain the size as far as the "sweatband" is concerned, but will do nothing to prevent the crown from shrinking or the brim from distorting if the material is prone to shrinkage. With a fur-felt hat (like the Campdraft), as long as you let it dry on it's own and don't use a heat source (i.e., a blow dryer or space heater) to try to dry it faster you shouldn't have a problem with shrinkage.

Thanks. That is what most people were having trouble with: they would get soaked while fishing in the rain, then toss the hat in the back window of the car for 2-3 days. I live in an old house: my bedroom doesn't have any furnace vents or anything, so I figure is whould be a safe enough place to let a hat dry overnight in the spring and fall. In the summer, I might find a spot in the living room--where the AC can keep the temperature below 80 F.

Thanks for pointing out the EverythingAustralia site. With the shipping cost, they still come out a couple bucks lower than HatsDirect's base-price. So I'll put the Campdraft back in the running.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Some of them look like they could work. Not all. I'd have to see better pictures Kevin.

And you are correct. You do not need to jack. There will be a perfect ridge where you can either cut for a raw edge or bound edge. For an overwelt or underwelt leave some excess.
Thanks for confirming, I am considering buying some flanges like those in the picture or having some new ones made up if I could get them to work for Homburgs.

Scooterz

Practically Family
A few questions. Is there some kind of tape to put behind cloth sweatbands to protect felt from sweat? How about thin felt strips, would they make any difference?

Also how to those wind cords work? I see them on a few hats and guess they just tighten up on the outside of the band?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21